Heritage Owners Club

H-140 new pickups

DT123

Hi, new poster here but not a new Heritage owner :D 

I'm looking to swap out the pickups in my H-140 as while it sounds great, I'd like something more vintage sounding for the bridge pickup. I plan to swap out both pickups into another guitar so I'm looking for a full set.

It's a 2nd edition made in 2012/13 (can't exactly remember) with a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck and custom 5 in the bridge. 

The bridge is just too modern and bright for what I want, which is more vintage, warmer and fatter, a classic Les Paul tone. My favourite Les Paul players are Peter Green, Jimmy Page, Mick Taylor and Billy Gibbons. I was considering a set of Peter Green style pickups but I think they might be a bit thin and bright. Though I don't want a set that sounds too fat, I do like the quacky kind of Green/Page sound.

Doesn't have to be anything obscure, if a set of seymours or dimarzios fit the bill I'd be just fine with that.

I did however read an old thread here saying the pickup cavities are smaller than usual and thus most pickups won't fit. Is this something that applies to 2nd edition H-140s as well?

Any input appreciated, thanks :)

I put Alnico Pro IIs in my H140 and it sounds great.    

You might also consider changing the magnets in the Custom 5.    An alnico 2 might tame the top end a bit, although it won't kill the output a lot.   The custom 5 has a pretty high output.  You could also flip the polarity to give it some of the Peter Green vibe.

My H150 has Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers in it right now and I love the sound. You'll have to get a phase switch installed as well to get that quack and the WLH are voiced great for that.

Otherwise, think about a few PAF clones. Get four conductor wires though for the phase switch.

Also think about a nice wiring harness... good quality balanced pots wired 50's style are just as important to the sound, especially if you're using a tube amp.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If it currently has a Duncan 59 in it, the pickup cavities are likely big enough for any humbucker. There are a lot of options. I like Duncan Seth Lovers. I also like Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs. I have a set of 4 conductor Dimarzio 36th PAFs that I'm not using. I'd be happy to sell them. PM me if you are interested.

21 minutes ago, khmr33 said:

Get four conductor wires though for the phase switch.

Also think about a nice wiring harness... good quality balanced pots wired 50's style are just as important to the sound, especially if you're using a tube amp.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This....

You might want to try the Jimmy page wiring.

59c64bb5bdcb2_jimmypagewiring.thumb.jpg.01ba802c4ff291c8a9a42cb5032a7b0a.jpg

As for pickups, PK's  4 conductor Dimarzio 36th PAFs will work very well for what you are looking for. 

Also Seymour Duncan   SH-18 Whole lotta humbucker.    

But if you have the cash I would go with ThroBak EdA-Custom . I have a set in  a H150 , and I love them.

If you need any help PM me.

I put throbak kz-115 with long a2 magnets in my 157. My wife plays a 535 with what at the time was Seth lovers in it. The seths did not have the tone, clarity or articulation of the throbak. The 535 went out for throbak pg-102 with out a flipped magnet and long a5 magnets. They are tone monsters. I believe in these throbak. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, fxdi35rider said:

I put throbak kz-115 with long a2 magnets in my 157. My wife plays a 535 with what at the time was Seth lovers in it. The seths did not have the tone, clarity or articulation of the throbak. The 535 went out for throbak pg-102 with out a flipped magnet and long a5 magnets. They are tone monsters. I believe in these throbak. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yep  +1

I went for ThroBak SLE 101s for my 150. They have the Robben Ford '57 and Duane Allman Goldtop sound, which he swapped out into the guitar he traded the GT for.

ThroBak has a clone of the Mick Taylor LP pups as well. If the price isn't constraining ThroBaks are as good as they get. 

Then you have your Duncan Dilemma. Good choices abound. Dimarzio, Lollars, Bare Knuckles, Wolftones, There is no "best". Just different versions of great.

I plan to splurge on some Throbaks for my VSB 150 which currently has the 59's in it, perhaps next year. Which model  would most closely replicate the "Fillmore East" ABB tone that Duane achieved?

41 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

I plan to splurge on some Throbaks for my VSB 150 which currently has the 59's in it, perhaps next year. Which model  would most closely replicate the "Fillmore East" ABB tone that Duane achieved?

Will, you should call John at Throbak 616-734- 8977. He is very willing to answer any questions you may have, and he is a great guy. Also ask about the HOC discount.

Wellllll... remember that an H140 is a lot thinner than an H150. The Schallers on my '88 H140CM sounded too 'modern', as I'm going for the T-Top in my '63 SG shaped Les Paul, yet the same pups are perfect in the H575.
So, anyways, I tried various 'vintage voiced' pups without any real vintage sounds, until, trade after trade, I put together two pairs that get me a similar sound to my early '70s T-Tops:
1) a 'matched' pair of late Tim Shaw era Gibbons humbuckers, with ultra-faded gold covers, and,
2) a 4 wire BB Pro bridge and a The Original HB-R neck pup, both covered. All measuring well under 8kOhms on the meter.
Forget other brands, if you want a real vintage humbucker sound then these are the way to go. Ok, yeah maybe I am a bit biased towards an alnico 5 sound... but I get warmth from the neck position, screetching bite from the bridge, and a twangy, tele-on-steroids sound with both on. When it stops raining here I'll finish up the restoration of my Y2K SG, soon to house the BBPro and HB-R, and try to post an mp3 with a direct comparison, or maybe a link to a quick U-tube vid. The Shaws are actually a bit 'warmer' sounding, a bit too much for my SGs and way too warm for my taste in an H575, but in the H140 the maple cap balances it all out...
Or else get a ceramic 500T/496R pair and wire it so that the volume can't go past 5 or 6... ;)
I am so fed up with swapping pups around! Won't do it again until the next time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/24/2017 at 8:43 AM, notbillgelder said:

Will, you should call John at Throbak 616-734- 8977. He is very willing to answer any questions you may have, and he is a great guy. Also ask about the HOC discount.

Thanks for the tip Bill !

I tried out one of Larry Dimarzio's  PAF 59's and it is stellar! I have some boutique Jim Wagner Fillmores in my H150 and I put the 59s in my 170 and  at 1/3 less than the boutiques, they really do stand up. Larry has a 59 LP and this is what he based these off of.

Lots of good suggestions, here.  But tone is subjective, and not a product of the pickups alone.  As a number of posters have suggested, the equation consists of wood, pots and capacitors, the pickups...and your ears.  Within the pickups reside the magnets and output.  Magnets and output are quantifiable entities.  Pots and caps are quantifiable entities.  Find what your ears like, and determine the quantifiable components involved.  Then, look to anecdotal support to further narrow your choices.  After that, you'll have ample opportunity to refine your soldering technique. 

Archived