Heritage Owners Club

RIP, Carvin Audio and Amplifiers

PunkKitty

The only Carvin amp I ever had (X60 combo) was also the worst amp I ever had. That said, it's sad to see them close. They made a number of products that were good quality and a great value. I always wanted to try one of their Nomad or Belaire tweeds.

1 hour ago, RJLII said:

The only Carvin amp I ever had (X60 combo) was also the worst amp I ever had. That said, it's sad to see them close. They made a number of products that were good quality and a great value. I always wanted to try one of their Nomad or Belaire tweeds.

On the other side of the fence I have been very  happy with:
Carvin V3, V3 2x12, V3m, Vintage 16... Even though I am a Mesa Dual Rec Roadster, Dual Rec Solo, JCM2000, JSX100 user

I have a cool live rig that I don't use much as it is stereo and takes too much space on most club stages. It is powered by a CarvinTS100 tube power amp. It is an amazingly warm tube amp and I hear they are going for $510 right now. It's too bad that others didn't know about this amp. I also have a Carvin Holdsworth guitar that just blows me away.

On 10/14/2017 at 1:15 AM, Coyotesgator said:

I remember getting their catalogs in the 1980’s.

I lusted over so many things.

I have an oversized 4X12 bottom loaded with ET65’s that I’ll keep to the end.

Me as well, and continued receiving them regularly up until about 5 years ago. Their catalogs were very cool, compact and as you said, made you lust after their gear. Always thought I might own a Carvin bass, but never pulled that trigger. 

Sad to hear they closed the audio portion of the business.  I've owned both Carvin guitars ans amps.  Their tube amps were the best bang for the buck.  I did have one issue with an older Nomad reverb tank.  Carvin did not have a replacement tank that would work.  The then supplier had gone out of business and according to my amp tech finding a replacement would be difficult at best.  I used a reverb pedal till I sold the amp with full disclosure.  One of my friends has a newer Belair amp and it sounds fantastic.

accutronics pretty got bought out I think. All of their tanks are made overseas now, and they don't make nearly as many models. You can usually find one to substitute though. You just need one with the right specifications.

I thought the tank in my Vintage 16 had gone, but it turns out it just had one of the internal contacts get some corrosion on it.

Archived