Heritage Owners Club

Strats, pots, and Single Coil Sized Humbuckers

tulk1

Thinking about dropping a JB, Jr. into my SSS guitar. It has 1 Vol, 1 Tone probably both 250k pots. Hows that HB going to sound with a 250k pot? Can't swap for 500k since there's only the one for each function. Anyone put one in and left the stock Strat pots in?

19 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

I've put the Lil '59 in a couple of Stratocasters.  You don't need to change the pots.  But be sure you have the 2nd tone control on there else it will be really bright.

Uh, Josh, it has 1 Vol, 1 Tone. Oh that's right ... you can't hear.  ... JOSH!!! IT HAS ONE VOL & ONE TONE CONTROL ONLY!!!  :P

15 minutes ago, JeffB said:

This is what it sounds like when I use it. 250k pot.

The H150 has 59's not Seth Lovers.

That's some mighty passable playing right there Tully  Jeff. Sounds good with the 250s, that's encouraging. Is that the one Strat you kept? 

2 minutes ago, tulk1 said:

Uh, Josh, it has 1 Vol, 1 Tone. Oh that's right ... you can't hear.  ... JOSH!!! IT HAS ONE VOL & ONE TONE CONTROL ONLY!!!  :P

That's some mighty passable playing right there Tully  Jeff. Sounds good with the 250s, that's encouraging. Is that the one Strat you kept? 

Yeah, Tully was alright, he had his moments.

I still have that strat, a 93 US Standard and a parts caster with lipsticks.
The lipstick is on the block along with 3 other guitars right now. Its a cool little guitar
I thought I was chasing a vintage type strat, sound and appointments. Turns out I like modern strats with LSR nuts, locking tuners, two point trems and hotter noiseless pickups.
Went through a lot of strats to figure that out.:icon_scratch: Ive got pictures of every single one. Its disturbing how many there were. :)

Eh?  Did somebody say something?  Whadda say?  Fudrucker? Humbuggy? Stratomacater? 

Kept a Strat?  Ha, now that's funny; me keeping a guitar.   

Of course I didn't, but doesn't mean they didn't sound good.

I've added the single coil size humbucker to a Tele type guitar too.  Again, sounded great.

Will has my last Strat with the Lil '59.... You can check with him if you'd like.

• 2 weeks later...

Play the new Fender elite series pickups (Version 4) that are found in the Fender Elite Stratocaster. These 4th generation pickups are now available separately. I think they nailed the humbucker single coil sound better than N3's and previous versions.  I have since put them in two of my strats.

I have had others but these quack when quacked and spank when spanked

I ended up with a Zexcoil Z-Series Bucker. So far, I like it. But to fully disclose, it's only been a couple of days. It sounds like a humbucker when overdriven, sounds like a Strat-like thing in Pos 2. Even sounds good in Pos 3 - on mine Pos 3 is Bridge + Neck in, I don't know, either series or parallel. Gotta be one of the two. But the mid-pickup is never on by itself. Strange set up, but works. 

12 hours ago, PunkKitty said:

I use 250k pots with single coil sized humbuckers. 500k is too bright sounding IMO.

I left the 250k pots in. Sounds pretty darned good to me. Zexcoil recommends 500k, of course. But ....... yeah, sounds pretty good to my ears. 

Archived