Heritage Owners Club

Has participation here fallen off

skydog

12 minutes ago, skydog said:

Since the new format/layout? Personally, I find it a lot harder to use. 

I concur. I also don't like that birthdays are no longer listed on the side of the screen.

Funny thing is I have the opposite opinion.   This new server is quicker and faster.  It looks different and a couple different features, but essential the same site but faster.

my .02

I've found it navigates just the same as the old software, with one big difference:  when you're done looking at a thread and hit the back arrow to return to that section's main page, it does an automatic screen refresh.  Meaning the thread you were just looking at is no longer shown as unread (title is no longer bold).  This is a big time-saver, as you no longer have to hit F5 to refresh your view in order to see which threads have something new in them.

And once you change the settings to have black text on a white background, visually, it's fine.

it faster for me by quite a bit.  i like the black background; it shows the guitars nicely.  I would like to be able to delete posts from the Marketplace (obviously!  Ha!) and have more control over when I can edit a post, but otherwise i like it fine.

As to less participation, I really can't say.  I, for one, have had a very busy Summer and Early fall, so I haven't been posting. 

Software is better than it's been for a while, in my opinion. It got a bit qwerky there for a bit. All praise to the ADMIN that has blessed us with improved speed and loading times. :notworthy:

As for participation - compared to when we started this is a veritable mecca of repartee`.  Compared to the years of growth and the resulting fall out from a couple of years ago it's like a hollow hall. But as a forum dedicated to a somewhat obscure, yet intensely loved guitar manufacturer .... seems okay to me. 

I actually like this software now that I have given it some time.  While it doesn't look the same, it seems to be more stable.  

As far as participation goes, well... Its much lower than it was a few years ago.  Which isn't a bad thing unless you are the No. 1 over-poster on this forum.  

In reality, I'd like to think the quantity of posts have lowered, but the quality of posts have increased.

to me it does seem that there is less activity in general. In no way related to the recent upgrade. I've gotten use to that and really like it.

Even at previous "attendance" levels, this place had a pretty intimate feel. I'd enjoy seeing a little more activity, assuming that (feel) remains the case. I think it would, due to the nature of the brand. I'm guessing that with the new more prominent profile the owners are promoting, we're likely to get some traffic. Here's to hoping they find some info of interest to them.

It may be worth realizing that if and when that happens, there will be a lot of questions that seem like re-hash, but we want to be welcoming regardless, and enthusiastically respond about things like headstocks, tailpieces, Ed Roman's fickle nature, string diameter, and the obvious supremacy of the 535 to all other models. There is nothing more alienating than feeling like you've stumbled upon a conversation where you don't know the secret handshake, and really, nobody cares what you think anyway.

I'm a fan of a similar brand in another genre, not music related, but goes largely unknown in this country, but has fans going back decades. That company has also re-booted its marketing and product development in recent years, with some success, and there are total newbs coming on board all the time asking the most mundane, tired questions. They are (almost) always met with good information from the wisest minds with the most experience, as though no one thought of that before. As a result that forum is HOPPIN', even though the brand continues to be a underground cult sort of thing. LOTS of pitchers, conversations about widely ranging topics, and technical info and repair discussion out the wazoo. If you miss a day, you've got a ton of reading to do. 

Here's hoping that occurs here.

Are their any other sites where Heritage gets some traction? I intentionally steer clear because I don't need the time suck or the sirens call to my wallet.....

6 hours ago, kidsmoke said:

to me it does seem that there is less activity in general. In no way related to the recent upgrade. I've gotten use to that and really like it.

Even at previous "attendance" levels, this place had a pretty intimate feel. I'd enjoy seeing a little more activity, assuming that (feel) remains the case. I think it would, due to the nature of the brand. I'm guessing that with the new more prominent profile the owners are promoting, we're likely to get some traffic. Here's to hoping they find some info of interest to them.

It may be worth realizing that if and when that happens, there will be a lot of questions that seem like re-hash, but we want to be welcoming regardless, and enthusiastically respond about things like headstocks, tailpieces, Ed Roman's fickle nature, string diameter, and the obvious supremacy of the 535 to all other models. There is nothing more alienating than feeling like you've stumbled upon a conversation where you don't know the secret handshake, and really, nobody cares what you think anyway.

I'm a fan of a similar brand in another genre, not music related, but goes largely unknown in this country, but has fans going back decades. That company has also re-booted its marketing and product development in recent years, with some success, and there are total newbs coming on board all the time asking the most mundane, tired questions. They are (almost) always met with good information from the wisest minds with the most experience, as though no one thought of that before. As a result that forum is HOPPIN', even though the brand continues to be a underground cult sort of thing. LOTS of pitchers, conversations about widely ranging topics, and technical info and repair discussion out the wazoo. If you miss a day, you've got a ton of reading to do. 

Here's hoping that occurs here.

Are their any other sites where Heritage gets some traction? I intentionally steer clear because I don't need the time suck or the sirens call to my wallet.....

This is a terrific post!

1 hour ago, yoslate said:

This is a terrific post!

Water Pitcher Related Keywords & Suggestions - Water ...I'm a fan of a similar brand in another genre, not music related, but goes largely unknown in this country,...  be a underground cult sort of thing. LOTS of pitchers, conversations about widely ranging topics, and technical info and repair discussion out the wazoo.       

Rob, never knew you were into repairing foreign pitchers,  Egyptian?

Just now, LittleLeroy said:

C'mon dude!!   That's a secret! :ph34r:

I figured Leroy!

I always found the old format difficult to load photo's.This one just loaded straight away,no problems.Must make a blog entry soon.Lots has been happening in my guitar world,including a tribute year to Bowie Guitar man,Mick Ronson, in his home city of Hull,U.K.,who I knew. More on that later.

'88-H575-'86-H140CM-S-RSE.-1.jpg

Thanks for mentioning that!  yes, that's one of the cool things with the new stuff.  I love that we now have several ways to upload external content. And it's quick.  IMHO that's a tremendous leap forward since we love to be able to see the things we're discussing.  Making it easier and faster to upload is top notch.

I doff my big Stetson to the person and/or persons that r responsible.  :icon_salut:

Is there a way to make a donation for the upkeep, etc?

Archived