Heritage Owners Club

What were the qualifications for “Charter Member” status?

skydog

IIRC- The original host site (or whatever you’d call it) used to have a number next to your user name (in the user profile section) that was consistent with the order in which you’d registered. I seem to remember being either #31 or #33. 

I can sell you indulgences. After all, I was ordained by an Internet church. I have a special package deal. For  $50k, I'll absolve all past and future sins. This is the deal of a lifetime. I only accept cash for this. And only small, unmarked bills.

5 hours ago, Genericmusic said:

Maybe Dixiecup should sell Charter Memberships. Kinda like indulgences during the middle ages. :D Step right up folks and reserve a spot for eternal  skewed priorities.

1 hour ago, PunkKitty said:

I can sell you indulgences. After all, I was ordained by an Internet church. I have a special package deal. For  $50k, I'll absolve all past and future sins. This is the deal of a lifetime. I only accept cash for this. And only small, unmarked bills.

My recollection is that the first 30 members were given "Charter Member" status out of the blue. I secretly--well, not so secretly now--harbor the suspicion that the Administrator :boxing: had managed to drink himself into oblivion (yet again) and was feeling something strange. As he looked over the swelling membership roll, his heart grew three sizes that night. Due mostly to chronic alcoholism, high-carbohydrate diet and a sedentary lifestyle, naturally. In his stupor, however, he confused the physical pain of an impending myocardial infarction with "true feelings" and wanted to do something nice for those who had wandered in. Thus, the "Charter Member" was born.  There were a small number, possibly as high as three, of non-original Charter Members who were later bestowed with the honor. To continue my fictional fantasy of what might drive the Administrator's :boxing: seemingly irrational behavior, I believe the criteria pretty much boiled down to "was this person fun to drink with?" and/or "have they done something special for the HOC". 

Now, indulgences I happen to know something about. For I, too, am an (Internet) ordained minister! I would love to share the story of how a single-malt fueled "Hey, this seems like it'd be funny" activity turned out to be my proudest moment in life, at least as judged by my mother. Or how I did, in fact, suggest to my father, over dinner, that if he wanted to finally take action on that long-simmering thing with the woman from across the street, I could ensure his eternal salvation for the paltry sum of $100. I might really enjoy that, too. But, my therapist says it's better not to dwell on these things.

1 hour ago, PunkKitty said:

Could only read this with an American accent.

Turned out to be Reverend Lionel Preacherbot's voice.

Well, I requested Charter Member status but didn't even receive an answer. That's OK; Wally & Eddie didn't cut it in The Barons, and Andy & Barney never became members of The Esquire Club. And to quote Groucho Marx: "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2017 at 1:30 PM, PunkKitty said:

I'd love the package deal...but can't swing the 50K...is there a discounted version?:D

On 10/25/2017 at 11:15 PM, skydog said:

Enquiring mind wants to know! Last Friday was my 10 year anniversary!

Looked at mine and it's: 

October 4, 2007

:drink_mini:  Happy Anniversary!

Archived