Heritage Owners Club

H-535 - New Pickups? How to make it sound BETTER

tbonesullivan

So, this has been a long time coming, playing a lot of different guitars, and playing my other Heritage guitars, particularly my H-158 Millie with Seth Lovers, and my H150CM with SD '59s. I play a lot of clean stuff, mostly jazz type stuff, etc, and for that, the neck pickup on my H-535 is great. The stock Schaller is chimey, clean, with nice definition, etc. But, it is kinda missing that "3D" sound I'm used to getting from a neck pickup. The bridge pickup has that brightness I expect, and sounds good clean, but once I roll on the overdrive, it just kinda sounds flat. It doesn't have the bite or the snarl when overdriven that I like from a bridge pickup.

Part of me is wondering if maybe that's just the nature of the 535, but I think not. So, I'm looking to replace it with some pickups, probably from SD or Dimarzio, and I'm trying to figure out which ones to go with. Now, as it's a 535 that came with schallers, it is not routed for long legged pickups, and I'm not really into drilling holes just so I can replace the pickups.

Anyway, my short list (with nickel covers): Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, SD Alnico Pro II

Any particular reason that Seth's aren't on the short list? 

I've personally yet to hear a better pairing of a guitar and pup than the H535 and a Seth Lover pup. I've now owned 5 differently configured H535's that came outfitted with either Seth Lover, SD59's, Throbak SLE-101's, TV Jones Filtertrons or Schallers Golden Era's.........and each and every time I've felt the Seth's were what the guitar wanted/needed. 

As always, to each their own.......I seem to recall you bringing up the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs a few times in the past so this one might already be decided but you just haven't admitted it to yourself as of yet. ;)

I'm in the same situation with my 535. The 'SD 59s are good and have grown on me, especially when played though my Mesa.

I've played semis with Seths and prefer their sound for most other amps and applications. If you like Seths in a Millie, you'll love them in a 535.

I've considered Antiquities and SLE-101s as good alternatives, but I know the Seths will suit my ears. The Alnico Pro IIs would probably fit the bill as well. I do know I'm an A2 magnet fan when it comes down to it. The may not be suited for hard rocking music, but they bring warm and full sounds out of a guitar.

I mainly left the Seth Lovers and '59s off the list because they have the long legs. I can get the short legged versions, but they have to be custom ordered.

I do remember back in the day when I had an Epiphone Sheraton, the Pearly Gates pickups were the "Go To" pickup to replace the stock pickups. They also have Alnico II magnets. They also now have the "saturday night special" and "Whole lotta humucker" offerings.

Dimarzio also has now a PAF Master series as well as a PAF 59 series. The Master series have Alinico 4 magnets, and seem to be aimed against Seymour Duncans Saturday Night Special "70's style" pickups. The PAF 59s unfortunately are on long legs though, and the PAF Master are a bit lower output than the 36th Anniversary.

Does anyone know if the Throbak pickups come with short or long legs?

I have the 36th Anniversary PAFs in my H-140 and couldn't be happier. I had a set of the PAF Master's put into my H-170. I got them before they officially came out and had them installed at the local music store. The store personnel  went nuts over them and could not wait for them to be released. I am in heaven with them. I have Seth Lover's in my 535 and may change over to the Master Series.

Here is a cool video of the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary vs. PAF Master.

I have Seths in one of my 535s and find them to be great in that guitar.  I recommend them if you're not concerned with squeal at high volume or high gain.

If I were going to try something else in my 535, I'd likely try one of these two.  I have Mules in the Millie Ultra and Stormy Mondays in the Millie Pro.  Granted those guitars don't have F holes - and are very different than the 535 - but I'm impressed with their clarity and balance both clean and overdriven.  The Mules have a touch more mids and push the front end of the amp a little more.  The Stormy Mondays are scooped just a bit in the mids and have a nice round, open tone, especially noticeable in the neck.

They are available with short legs.

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup/humbucker/the-mule

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup/humbucker/stormy-monday

I had Throbak 101s in my Millie DC, which has F holes, and really didn't like them.  Very brittle sounding in that guitar.  I put in a Dimarzio SD-2 in the neck and SD-1 in the bridge which work very well although heavier in the low mids.  The split-coil mode is excellent though and the middle position is awesome. It uses the inner coils and develops a lovely blues quack while still humbucking.

I would never have tried the Bare Knucks.  I thought they only made high-output pups, but skydog52 had them installed when the Millies were made.  I as skeptical 'til I heard them.  Now I'm considering a set of Mules for the Millie DC.

I have Schaller Golden Eagles on my 535.  I have to agree with thonesullivan that they are a bit bright for my style of music.   I have been using only the neck pickup and dialing down the  tone knob along with adjusting my amp settings.  I do the same thing with my Gibson ES-335 and it has Classic 57's.  I'd love to know what pickups  that  I  could change to too.

I have always loved the Seth Lover Neck pup (warm yet clear) but the Seth Bridge has always been too bright & strident for me.  I know I have said it over and over .... but Throbaks are the bomb.  The PG-102 without the magnet flip is what I have in my 3 Semis and I have never thought of switching them out.

On 11/15/2017 at 7:40 AM, Polo said:

Any particular reason that Seth's aren't on the short list? 

I've personally yet to hear a better pairing of a guitar and pup than the H535 and a Seth Lover pup. I've now owned 5 differently configured H535's that came outfitted with either Seth Lover, SD59's, Throbak SLE-101's, TV Jones Filtertrons or Schallers Golden Era's.........and each and every time I've felt the Seth's were what the guitar wanted/needed. 

As always, to each their own.......I seem to recall you bringing up the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs a few times in the past so this one might already be decided but you just haven't admitted it to yourself as of yet. ;)

I agree, though my experience is considerably more limited than my learned friend.

you may also consider Wolfetone PAF's....I have a set of Wolfetone Legends in my H535, and it sounds glorious

I like them a lot better than the Schaller's that were in there

I also prefer them to SD '59's I had in another 535

have had good experiences with Sheptones as well, they are in a firebird build

Dimarzio airbuckers sound pretty good, too IMO

lots of options!

guitars, pickups, amps, strings, picks.....  on and on it goes!  so subjective, too.  I heard some Lollar P-90s in a Reverend solid body and loved 'em.  Ordered a set for a Gibby Goldtop and they sounded like cr*p in that guitar. I immediately put the originals back in.  You won't know 'til you install 'em and audition 'em.  Best of luck!

16 hours ago, bobmeyrick said:

This thread illustrates what's wrong with the modern world - too much choice! :D

6 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I believe the 36th anniversary pickups use some of the AIR technology as well as the virtual vintage. Anyway, since Punkkitty has a set I'll try those out, and hopefully be pleased. I generally try to avoid pickup swapping because it can become ENDLESS.

Yeah, I hear that. I've also had guitars where I changed the pickups, and they didn't sound any better. There is only so much that pickups can do.

I will say however that putting some Lollar P-90s in a hamer special definitely improved the guitar in some ways. Sure it wasn't as in your face as with the super hot Duncan ceramic p90s, but it definitely was smoother. Much more of the vintage vibe.

With this guitar, I'm just looking for stuff to really give it a better rock tone.

3 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Yeah, I hear that. I've also had guitars where I changed the pickups, and they didn't sound any better. There is only so much that pickups can do.

I will say however that putting some Lollar P-90s in a hamer special definitely improved the guitar in some ways. Sure it wasn't as in your face as with the super hot Duncan ceramic p90s, but it definitely was smoother. Much more of the vintage vibe.

With this guitar, I'm just looking for stuff to really give it a better rock tone.

If that's what you want, put a Seth in the Neck and Pearly Gates in the Bridge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/15/2017 at 12:27 PM, tbonesullivan said:

Does anyone know if the Throbak pickups come with short or long legs?

I just ran across this post. You can order long or short leg baseplates when you order ThroBak pickups. My H-535 needs short leg baseplates in the neck position. I would order short leg for a H-535. Long leg baseplates work fine in my H-150.

Archived