1987 Blue H-357 

Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard

Schaller Golden 50s Pickups

Schaller Roller Bridge

TonePros Tailpiece

Grover Mini Tuners

Said to be a, or the, Prototype for the H-357 design

Price paid: $2500

Battle scarred, this 357 has been played and loved.  Plenty of dings and scratches and scuffs, but she still looks great under the stage lights.  The original Blue has faded to a shimmering blue-green.  She has a big, straight neck that's .925 at the nut and 1.05 at the 12th fret.  She weighs in at 8lbs 7oz and is nicely balanced for live work and is very comfortable in the lap for sitting practice. 

The tone is woody and warm. She has a clarity that's retained even with heavy distortion.  Easy access to all 6 strings up to the 22nd fret.  She holds tune well, although the Mini Grovers take some getting used to, as well as reaching to the top of the headstock for the low E.

Is she the prototype? I really couldn't say.  I'd love to be able to get to the factory and hear what the guys have to say.  She's certainly a part of Heritage history in any case.  It does appear that Mr. Lamb hadn't decided on a model number when this one was made, since the log book only says, "Firebird Copy" and not H-357.  I'd like to know how he came up with the "357" number.  There must be a story behind that!

I don't imagine anyone outside of a Heritage enthusiast would pay so much for such a "dog" of an old guitar.  You can get a new Gibson Firebird for under $1k, after all.  But this old dog will hunt!

I'm glad she's been used and has the wear to show for it.  I can take her to gigs and not worry (though I've got to get a stand!).  Her previous owner(s) played the hell out of her and someone cared enough to get a decent fret level done, probably sometime before Brent got her in April, so she plays like a Heritage should and still has some meat on the frets.

Here are some pics:  

FullfrontInCaseV1a.jpgheadstockback2a.jpg

Heritage1987LogBook.jpg

above pic courtesy of Brent Henderson

serialnumber50%25.jpg

PickguardUnderside.JPG

top2.JPG

fretboardfull1a.jpg

Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard

fretboard1a.jpg

back1a.jpgbackbucklerash1a.jpg

SantaAnaStar1.jpg

2 hours ago, Millennium Maestro said:

I was there when Brent was showing her off to Marv, that man has a way of getting to Brent... the next morning she was being packed up and shipped out.

That’s the way Marv rolls.   

If he likes you he’s your best friend and your Guitars are rare, special and spectacular.  

If he doesn’t like you, you’re a waste of his time and your Guitars are unimportant, fake or stolen

32 minutes ago, brentrocks said:

If he likes you he’s your best friend and your Guitars are rare, special and spectacular.  

If he doesn’t like you, you’re a waste of his time and your Guitars are unimportant, fake or stolen

When I asked Marv if I could take this pic at PSP 8 he quickly replied in that slow kind of way....well....it depends on whether you got your guitars from me.....or from that Brent Henderson fella.  :lol_mini:  

MIPuFmI.jpg

1 hour ago, brentrocks said:

4 hours ago, Millennium Maestro said:

I was there when Brent was showing her off to Marv, that man has a way of getting to Brent... the next morning she was being packed up and shipped out.

23 minutes ago, Polo said:

When I asked Marv if I could take this pic at PSP 8 he quickly replied in that slow kind of way....well....it depends on whether you got your guitars from me.....or from that Brent Henderson fella.  :lol_mini:  

12 hours ago, skydog52 said:

:laughing4:

Well fellas, this is pretty disappointing to see the thread devolve to this.  You all can start a thread about Marv and Brent in the Family Tree section and get as snarky as you like.  It seems you have a lot to talk over.  Please do it somewhere else.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, brentrocks said:

I’m sorry dude.   I’m not trying to piss on your rainbow.  

That is a killer guitar and you deserve it !!!

How else does the proverbial “pot o' gold” appear?

7 hours ago, brentrocks said:

I’m sorry dude.   I’m not trying to piss on your rainbow.  

That is a killer guitar and you deserve it !!!

4 hours ago, skydog said:

How else does the proverbial “pot o' gold” appear?

1 hour ago, Millennium Maestro said:

My bad, didn't mean to stir the ol' pot...

2J8oWAb.jpg

Thread hijacks are a Heritage Forum tradition, and trademark. Happens all the time. 

Nice guitar. Looks great for the age. Never been a fan of Firebirds. But I could entertain a Heritage 357. 

10 hours ago, tulk1 said:

Thread hijacks are a Heritage Forum tradition, and trademark. Happens all the time. 

Nice guitar. Looks great for the age. Never been a fan of Firebirds. But I could entertain a Heritage 357. 

+1

Archived