Heritage Owners Club

Bluesbucker vs Phat Cat P90's

JustinLev12

I'm strongly considering swapping out my PAF humbuckers for a P90 pickup. I want to do this without having to make any modifications to the guitar so that means going for a Humbucker sized P90

My two choices are between the Phat Cat's by Seymour Duncan or the Bluesbuckers by Dimarzio. Does anyone have experience with either of these two pickups? B)

I consider the Seymour Duncan Phat cats in my H-357 to be some of the finest P90 pups I've played. 

They have a mid-range snarl that is absolutely magic for that old timey rock and roll....Dial it back even just a little bit and you can pretty much play any style you'd like.

:sunny:

Another Phat Cat advocate.  My 535 came with them and sounded good.  I wanted a more PAF tone, so I swapped in a set of Seths.

Ironically, I pulled out the Seth in my G&L Bluesboy and dropped in a Phat Cat and the guitar came alive!!  Well, not really alive, but the balance between the single coil MFD in the bridge and Phat Cat was perfect for my style of playing.

Another candidate is the Fralin P92.  I've not tried them, but read great reviews by those who have.

I have had Phat Cats in a semi hollow guitar and they were superb. Should never have sold that guitar. Miss the mid-range. Have not tried any others as I am a real fan of SD pickups in general. (Case in point: The H-576 in my picture has SD '59's installed.)

Best of luck with your decision. 

4 hours ago, Stringman said:

I have had Phat Cats in a semi hollow guitar and they were superb. Should never have sold that guitar. Miss the mid-range. Have not tried any others as I am a real fan of SD pickups in general. (Case in point: The H-576 in my picture has SD '59's installed.)

Best of luck with your decision. 

I will completely get behind this statement.  If visual is important another nice option is Lollar humucker fit p90 like in this custom order, with lollar you have some extra options.
https://www.gbase.com/gear/heritage-guitars-millennium-standard-ultra-neptune-blue

• 1 month later...

Just installed the Phat Cats in my H150. I decided the SD 59's deserved some rest after 13 years of good service. I thought I could use a bit more dirt and boy did I get some! Especially the bridge pickup sounds quite fierce driven through a Fulltone Full Drive 2 or Ibanez Tube Screamer. I feared I would maybe lose some of the Clapton-Bluesbreaker sound that I like, but the Phat Cats don't disappoint in that respect. Clean sounds are clear as could be expected but not in the least unpleasant. I am looking forward to playing the guitar with my bands to hear what the Cats can do amidst all the other frequencies. 

On 12/11/2017 at 3:38 PM, tulk1 said:

Phat Cats in my custom Prospect. Got them after hearing Yoslate's H150 with them. Never looked back. 

Yes, that 150 of Rob's may have been the finest sounding guitar I EVER heard.  I kind of wish I made an offer when he was selling it.  Now some guy in Vegas buggered it all up with some "Tron-inspired" tailpiece...

1 hour ago, Kuz said:

Yes, that 150 of Rob's may have been the finest sounding guitar I EVER heard.  I kind of wish I made an offer when he was selling it.  Now some guy in Vegas buggered it all up with some "Tron-inspired" tailpiece...

Them Vegas Guy(s). Dang it!!!

Justin, if you look at my icon above it you will see, First Father's Medal.  The First Father's Medal was created by one of the moderators because I bought my daughter a used 1993 H-137 for Christmas.  I was the first on the forum to pass the Heritage down to their children.  When I went to pick it up at the Guitar Sphincter the pickups were installed physically but not electrically.  I ordered a set of Phat Cats for her guitar and installed them myself.  This old guitar can wail! 

dscf3401_std.jpg

dscf3393_std.jpg

dscf3396_std.jpg

16 hours ago, Kuz said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA..... I THINK I MAY JUST HAVE A NEW NICKNAME FOR HER!

Archived