Heritage Owners Club

575 or 525 for live higher gain setting

heritagefan7

Which hollow body would be more controllable in a live "rock" setting? Looking for a jazz to rock heritage option. Not super distortion...got other gits for that...but some crunch is important in the set.

Looking for a florentine cut and at least a 2 inch depth. 2 hb pups. I'm thinking 525 would work best? Any experience w this out there???

I agree that a H-575 would sound good, but how are you going to control the feedback issue? Hollow body guitars like the 575 will give you fits trying to play loud(er) and without unwanted feedback. I think a guitar like the 535 (semi-hollow) would be much better for what you're looking for. 

3 hours ago, Stringman said:

I agree that a H-575 would sound good, but how are you going to control the feedback issue? Hollow body guitars like the 575 will give you fits trying to play loud(er) and without unwanted feedback. I think a guitar like the 535 (semi-hollow) would be much better for what you're looking for. 

I agree abt the 535. I foolishly let my 555 tuxedo get away a few years back and still regret it! However, I have also owned a 574 (which is still in the HOC family) and loved the sound of that guitar. It's depth and construction created the tone i'm after. I have a thin semi that is great, but it can't get that deeper body 574 sound. The 574 had a "partial" sound block that helped with feedback. I believe Steve Howe used a Gibby es 175 for years and Billy Duffy uses a Gretsch White Falcon (hollow) on stage. I'm going for that kind of sound. Thanks so much for the thoughts and the consideration. It may be that a custom order discussion would be worth having????

Some players do very well controlling feedback with larger hollowbodies at higher volumes. I find it a challenge. Before giving up on the 575, I'd order a set of Doug's Plugs, try it like that first. Here's a guy playing a 575, medium loud:

Guessing that the string bass helps here, vs. what he might be coping with with a solid body bass. Still, he's doing fine, no feedback.

4 hours ago, heritagefan7 said:

I agree abt the 535. I foolishly let my 555 tuxedo get away a few years back and still regret it! However, I have also owned a 574 (which is still in the HOC family) and loved the sound of that guitar. It's depth and construction created the tone i'm after. I have a thin semi that is great, but it can't get that deeper body 574 sound. The 574 had a "partial" sound block that helped with feedback. I believe Steve Howe used a Gibby es 175 for years and Billy Duffy uses a Gretsch White Falcon (hollow) on stage. I'm going for that kind of sound. Thanks so much for the thoughts and the consideration. It may be that a custom order discussion would be worth having????

Just get your 574 back from Will!  LOL

12 hours ago, Millennium Maestro said:

Just get your 574 back from Will!  LOL

I don't know what you two are talking about.....

Heritage 574.jpg

Sometimes when you reach into the tool box and grab a screwdriver, what you really need is a hammer.  

Just my .02

For high gain a solidbody ie 150 is the tool (phillips screwdriver), a semi-hollow ie 535 may get the job done (flathead screwdriver), with the hollowbodies, well (they are the hammer).....

YVMV

2 hours ago, Kuz said:

Sometimes when you reach into the tool box and grab a screwdriver, what you really need is a hammer.  

Just my .02

For high gain a solidbody ie 150 is the tool (phillips screwdriver), a semi-hollow ie 535 may get the job done (flathead screwdriver), with the hollowbodies, well (they are the hammer).....

YVMV

Yeah, definitely this. And when your only tool is a hammer, you see every problem as a nail!

He is playing the guitar backwards in the video.

On 12/27/2017 at 12:45 PM, heritagefan7 said:

Which hollow body would be more controllable in a live "rock" setting? Looking for a jazz to rock heritage option. Not super distortion...got other gits for that...but some crunch is important in the set.

Looking for a florentine cut and at least a 2 inch depth. 2 hb pups. I'm thinking 525 would work best? Any experience w this out there???

I wouldn't think either of these full hollowbody guitars would work in a high gain setting.  Way too much uncontrollable feedback.  If its just a bit of overdrive, you may be OK, but that still depends on your volume and which way you are facing.

You could however, order one with a partial sound block under the top, use Doug's Plugs, or stuff the interior with stuff.  The H525 has a small block under the top where the TOM bridge connects.  So maybe that would be a slightly better guitar of the two.

Didn't Alex Skolnick play an H575 with some distortion?

4 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

I wouldn't think either of these full hollowbody guitars would work in a high gain setting.  Way too much uncontrollable feedback.  If its just a bit of overdrive, you may be OK, but that still depends on your volume and which way you are facing.

You could however, order one with a partial sound block under the top, use Doug's Plugs, or stuff the interior with stuff.  The H525 has a small block under the top where the TOM bridge connects.  So maybe that would be a slightly better guitar of the two.

Didn't Alex Skolnick play an H575 with some distortion?

On 12/27/2017 at 3:51 PM, Stringman said:

I agree abt the 535. I foolishly let my 555 tuxedo get away a few years back and still regret it! However, I have also owned a 574 (which is still in the HOC family) and loved the sound of that guitar. It's depth and construction created the tone i'm after. I have a thin semi that is great, but it can't get that deeper body 574 sound. The 574 had a "partial" sound block that helped with feedback. I believe Steve Howe used a Gibby es 175 for years and Billy Duffy uses a Gretsch White Falcon (hollow) on stage. I'm going for that kind of sound. Thanks so much for the thoughts and the consideration. It may be that a custom order discussion would be worth having????AlexSkolnick1.jpg

3 hours ago, heritagefan7 said:

I agree abt the 535. I foolishly let my 555 tuxedo get away a few years back and still regret it! However, I have also owned a 574 (which is still in the HOC family) and loved the sound of that guitar. It's depth and construction created the tone i'm after. I have a thin semi that is great, but it can't get that deeper body 574 sound. The 574 had a "partial" sound block that helped with feedback. I believe Steve Howe used a Gibby es 175 for years and Billy Duffy uses a Gretsch White Falcon (hollow) on stage. I'm going for that kind of sound. Thanks so much for the thoughts and the consideration. It may be that a custom order discussion would be worth having????AlexSkolnick1.jpg

THX FIDDLER---That's the idea that I was aiming for. I'm thinking a partial or possible full block. I think Gibson actually did this with the 135 and 137 but I'm not sure if these guitars sounded much different than a Les Paul through an amplifier....

I don't try for "high gain" much anymore  -  Mostly a boost into a NMV amp at 1:00 with attenuation or VVR

I own and have played these 2 humbucker equipped:

2 1/4 depth 15 lower bout solid pine top with a post front to back supporting a TOM

2 3/4 depth 16 lower bout laminate top full hollow with a trapeze

Both are really fun; both provide uncontrolled run away.  I had to be aware of where I was standing and which way I was facing.  It took an active hand on the volume knob and constant left/right hand muting.

A lot of work, but there is nothing else like it.

I'm not talented enough to try it at an unfamiliar venue.  After a few tries, I bought a 535; it's not the same [though still pretty dang good].

5 hours ago, heritagefan7 said:

THX FIDDLER---That's the idea that I was aiming for. I'm thinking a partial or possible full block. I think Gibson actually did this with the 135 and 137 but I'm not sure if these guitars sounded much different than a Les Paul through an amplifier....

Correct.  The ES135 and ES137 both have a wood center block, but still have a hollow-ish tone...but with less feedback.  They sound great through an overdriven amp.

I really dug the similarity of the full hollow, P90 H-525 to the semi-hollow Humbucker (Classic 57) ES135. 

The bodies were almost identical, but the Heritage killed the Gibson in an overall quality/tone/vibe death match. 

Here they are posing just before the battle.  Still have the 525. B)

image.png.534ffa142be4ddb8408b91b0aefa85b3.png

12 hours ago, heritagefan7 said:

19888d1430499632-gibson-es-175-steve-howHow do all of these guys do it?---They are full on live gain...love their sound!

Don't leave this guy out of the mix. He created some damn good Motor City R&R with his tool of choice!

Nugent.jpg

15 hours ago, heritagefan7 said:

15 hours ago, heritagefan7 said:

19888d1430499632-gibson-es-175-steve-howHow do all of these guys do it?---They are full on live gain...love their sound!

2 hours ago, ElNumero said:

Don't leave this guy out of the mix. He created some damn good Motor City R&R with his tool of choice!

Nugent.jpg

Finally!  The voice of reason.

The 525 will control feedback a little better because it is a laminate body and shallower depth. The Gibson 175 is a better choice IMO than the 575 when playing loud and gained up a bit because of the laminate body.  If you are looking for full hollow I would stay with a laminate body. As far as HB pickups your choices get a bit limited. Don't rule out p90s though they can be really killer with some gain. The lollar p90s are potted so they do not feed back as easy as the vintage stuff does which helped lead to the idea all hollow bodies feed back when in high volume settings. Some feed back is a good thing, it is super fun when you can have feed back when you want it. I have played live with a Super Eagle that fed back with clean settings every time the horns started to play in a big band. I have also played a 175 loud and gained up without any issues in a 4 piece rock band. Big body solid wood vs smaller body laminate and positioning can make a huge difference, both had potted pickups. Personally I would go with a 525 or 530, I know they are p90 gits but maybe you can have a custom version made. 

...and you can go to a fabric store and buy a quantity of black felt (like pool table felt), and put it into the guitar's body through the "F" holes.  I've done this with my Super Eagle.  It helps a great deal, but doesn't completely solve the feedback issue.  As others have mentioned, orientation and proximity to the amp are important, and Tim mentioned Doug's Plugs.  Almost sprung for those (not cheap) but didn't like the aesthetic.  Also seen guys put clear tape over the "F" holes, but there are certainly finish issues there!

Archived