Heritage Owners Club

'87 H-357 At Work...

LittleLeroy

Saturday night in Santa Fe, NM.  She's got Larry Dimarzio's Super Distortion in the Neck and CrunchLab in the Bridge and she just sings!  Wired up for coil splits, with the Middle position humbucking using the inner coils.  This guitar does everything I need her to; really a revelation.  The Hog-Maple-Hog Neck-Through design imparts a deliciously woody tone.  

12-30-17 Cropped.jpg

11 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Agree...Clips from a pro player would be a real treat.

Also, do folks come up and ask you about your Heritage gear?

All the time.  Lots of guitar pickers come to Santa Fe and I'm fortunate to be playing at some of the premier tourist destinations in town.  Heritage guitars are proudly on display and in use.

you're gonna make me embarrass myself with your "pro player" quip! 

26 minutes ago, LittleLeroy said:

Just for you! ;-)

12-28-17modCropped.jpg

Somewhere I have a photo of a very young Guitfiddler wearing a hat almost like this one while playing with the USO in Vietnam.  Until we have played at Monkey Mountain out side of Da Nang we ain't shit.  ;^)  Play that thing like you are in a different time zone! 

3 minutes ago, High Flying Bird said:

Somewhere I have a photo of a very young Guitfiddler wearing a hat almost like this one while playing with the USO in Vietnam.  Until we have played at Monkey Mountain out side of Da Nang we ain't shit.  ;^)  Play that thing like you are in a different time zone! 

:icon_salut:

very cool. 

Curious how you found the transition from your semi to the 357. I recall playing Gio's and found the orientation surprisingly different..as though the heel of the neck by default was in a different spot, therefore the whole neck seemed biased left...as a right handed player. Make sense? Wonder if you noticed anything similar.

regardless, awesome that you're giving these guitars a journeymans life. as it should be. 

On 1/3/2018 at 3:51 AM, kidsmoke said:

very cool. 

Curious how you found the transition from your semi to the 357. I recall playing Gio's and found the orientation surprisingly different..as though the heel of the neck by default was in a different spot, therefore the whole neck seemed biased left...as a right handed player. Make sense? Wonder if you noticed anything similar.

regardless, awesome that you're giving these guitars a journeymans life. as it should be. 

Hi kidsmoke 

I find holding the 357 to feel very natural.  Yes, I do know what you mean about the neck seeming to have shifted, in that the 17th fret is right at hand when standing with the strap on. That's very different compared to the Millie's neck.  I had to measure the scale to assure myself the 357 is 24.75".  

But I didn't have a sensation of disorientation 'til I broke a string (high e, of course) and had to grab the 155M with single cutaway. I found it was the Millie that felt odd in my hand and I had to keep a careful eye on the fretboard 'til I got used to what seemed to be a more "condensed" neck.  It was a bit like suddenly playing a Gibson Byrdland, with it's 23.5" scale.  That might not have happened if I had the double cutaway with me.  But it was confusing for a couple minutes.

I've also noticed I'm resting my right forearm on the edge of the body of the 357 as I play.  It's really very comfortable.

And, again different than with the Millie, the Bigsby is not in the way when reaching for the controls.  

So I have to say that ergonomically the Firebird body suits me well.  And she has a very unique tone that is very pleasing to me.

On 1/3/2018 at 2:59 AM, LittleLeroy said:

Just for you! ;-)

12-28-17modCropped.jpg

A buddy from New Orleans gave me this for forwarding his mail.  For some reason you photo brought this to mind.

voodoo-man2_std.jpg

On 1/6/2018 at 6:55 PM, High Flying Bird said:

A buddy from New Orleans gave me this for forwarding his mail.  For some reason you photo brought this to mind.

voodoo-man2_std.jpg

Nice!  Thanks HFB.  I had a nice top hat like that.  Woman stole it off the stage one night. 

Archived