Heritage Owners Club

Neck/body junction Lacquer problem

Leduke

DEFINITELY not normal. That's a failed heel joint.

LeDuke, I hate to be gloomy, but if this is the black 157 from that other thread, I suggest you walk away. In those photos the guitar has no strings. Now that we see the separation at the heel joint, that makes perfect sense. The string tension is no doubt adding to the separation, the owner knows this and is eliminating the tension, and hoping to dump the guitar. This could be repaired and you could end up with a great instrument, but why isn't the current owner doing it? Probably costly and he just doesn't want to be bothered.

Unless you are getting this very cheap (500.00?), and have a luthier you trust on tap for the repair - a reset AND refinish - ($500.00?), I'd walk away. my $.02

This would be a good buy for someone like Brent, with a Pete Moreno up the road. That's the scenario which would make the cost/trouble worth it. 

Thanks a lot !

Kidsmoke, it's the same guitar, it is cheaper than other, in France the price is not the same, this one is at $1987, wich is the half of a brand new, and about the price of a used h150.

I called the actual owner, I get a good feeling with him, I trust him, I don't think he is a hoodlum, but if he don't know what happened, I will not take this guitar. For the same price I tryed a brand new Maybach Lester Black Velvet (no ebony fingerboard) next to my place.

Thanks.

the problem could actually be the lacquer. ive seen many new heritage guitars where the lacquer kind of bubbled up where the heel meets the body. they call it bridging. you should be able to tell if the lacquer has flaked off or if the neck has moved. is there any space between the neck heel and the body? are the seams where the neck meets the rim cracked? if not, i say the neck joint is fine.

10 hours ago, ShredAndDestroy said:

the problem could actually be the lacquer. ive seen many new heritage guitars where the lacquer kind of bubbled up where the heel meets the body. they call it bridging. you should be able to tell if the lacquer has flaked off or if the neck has moved. is there any space between the neck heel and the body? are the seams where the neck meets the rim cracked? if not, i say the neck joint is fine.

It's from 1997, is there any lacquer issues since 1997 ?

Bubbling/Bridging lacquer is not unheard of, even small chips of lacquer missing in the bubbling area is not super rare.  But I have never seen the entire neck with exposed wood like that.

"Run, Forest, run" from that listing.  Sure looks like the neck moved to me.

Archived