Heritage Owners Club

Feedback with Standard prospect Seth lovers

GrimFossa

Hey guys! 

Prospective Heritage owner here! Prospect standard is looking like my dream guitar! I'm really into jambands and classic rock. My band plays that realm of music. Also a huge fan of Trey anastasio's tone! The acoustic properties of this guitar with the floating center block sound like a perfect match for what I want. Now after doing research I've found the combo of the unpotted seth lovers and the floating block can cause some feedback problems. I know feedback isn't always a bad thing though! I love musical feedback and would love to explore that realm. I am curious if anyone here has had experience playing these guitars with decently high gain on a stage with monitors and such. I would love to move forward with this guitar! I just want to know that i wont be kicking myself for not getting the solid block model when I kick on my tubescreamer! (I dont play metal but definitely driven rock tones!) Any help on this would be appreciated :)  Also if you're selling a prospect...please contact me! Gman848@gmail.com

I used to play my custom Prospect live in my my very loud and upbeat country band. Only stopped using it only because of swapping out guitars, etc. for different sounds. It's still easily my fav Heritage of all time. And wow, what a guitar. That said, what I did to fight the feed back on stage (mine resonated with the singers vocals) was to use an old Ted Nugent trick - natural sponge in the f-holes. Didn't take much. Didn't affect the tone, responsiveness, etc of the guitar. Just added enough resistance to the top to stop the unwanted feedback. Don't let the notion that it "might" feedback stop you from getting an exceptional Heritage model. And if you think it's the pickups, well, those can be swapped out. 

1 hour ago, tulk1 said:

I used to play my custom Prospect live in my my very loud and upbeat country band. Only stopped using it only because of swapping out guitars, etc. for different sounds. It's still easily my fav Heritage of all time. And wow, what a guitar. That said, what I did to fight the feed back on stage (mine resonated with the singers vocals) was to use an old Ted Nugent trick - natural sponge in the f-holes. Didn't take much. Didn't affect the tone, responsiveness, etc of the guitar. Just added enough resistance to the top to stop the unwanted feedback. Don't let the notion that it "might" feedback stop you from getting an exceptional Heritage model. And if you think it's the pickups, well, those can be swapped out. 

Right on!! I think thats good advice. Im super excited to have a guitar thats more of a hollowbody feel. I'm kinda surprised the sponge didn't effect the tone though! I guess its because you're working with the amplified sound way more so than the acoustic sound. Just gotta find a prospect I love! I wish there was one around here so I could demo it and test the feedback. Grew up in Michigan and only found out about heritage after I had moved to Denver! Shux! 

1 hour ago, big bob said:

image.jpeg

Man that thing is sexy!!! I gotta say I am looking for humbuckers...but that bigsby is mighty appealing. i could potentially swap for humbuckers right? How much are you selling it for?

Thanks for the response! 

You might want to go with Seymour Duncan 59's. I found that potted pickups make a big difference in a classic rock band setting (usually a loud drummer). Seth's are great if you can stay within their volume level limitations. I have seth's in other heritage guitars, but I can't crank them as loud without producing feedback.

I think the combination recommended by Wolfe Guitars consists of a 59 pickup in the neck and a Seth in the Bridge for a 335.  Something you might want to explore.

14 hours ago, GrimFossa said:

Hey guys! 

Prospective Heritage owner here! Prospect standard is looking like my dream guitar! I'm really into jambands and classic rock. My band plays that realm of music. Also a huge fan of Trey anastasio's tone! The acoustic properties of this guitar with the floating center block sound like a perfect match for what I want. Now after doing research I've found the combo of the unpotted seth lovers and the floating block can cause some feedback problems. I know feedback isn't always a bad thing though! I love musical feedback and would love to explore that realm. I am curious if anyone here has had experience playing these guitars with decently high gain on a stage with monitors and such. I would love to move forward with this guitar! I just want to know that i wont be kicking myself for not getting the solid block model when I kick on my tubescreamer! (I dont play metal but definitely driven rock tones!) Any help on this would be appreciated :)  Also if you're selling a prospect...please contact me! Gman848@gmail.com

there are two separate issues: 1 is acoustic feedback and 2 is howl from unpotted pups.  stuffing the guitar with stuff won't stop the howl from the pups, which depends on gain, overall volume and proximity to the amp.  Acoustic feedback is wonderful if it can be controlled and is also dependent on gain, overall volume and proximity to the amp and is much more likely to be a problem with true hollow body instruments. Nugent uses or used a Gibson Byrdland which is a hollow body, so of course he stuffed it with stuff to reduce the vibration of the top and back.  

I can understand wanting to have pups that won't howl and you'll need potted pups for that.  Are you really playing that loud that acoustic feedback is uncontrollable?  I would think an H530 - which is a true hollow body - could present a problem even at moderate volume, but a Prospect does have a block and some Prospects (like mine) have a full block that connects with both the top and bottom of the guitar.  I've not had any problem with my Prospect and acoustic feedback.

Thank you i will definitely contact Yooper!

Little leroy..

That is my predicament. Both of the 2 issues that would cause feedback for this guitar also have great positive sides to them as well...from what I've read...unpotted seth lovers are extremely lively and very responsive. Floating bridge gives it an airier woodier tone. To be concise with it. And I really like musical feedback so if I can just learn to play with it I think I would actually enjoy the experience. That is the way i'm leaning right now. If when I finally get to play a magical prospect, it is too howly for my taste i can always pot the pickups. I think at this point I'm just going to go for it and then work with it. My band is pretty good about volume levels I think as well. Our onstage is usually quiet compared to other bands. On my 25 watt amp I never really turn the gain up past 5 or six and if i do the volume is at around 1 or 2. 

Thank you all for the helpful responses! 

10 hours ago, GrimFossa said:

I think at this point I'm just going to go for it and then work with it. My band is pretty good about volume levels I think as well. Our onstage is usually quiet compared to other bands. On my 25 watt amp I never really turn the gain up past 5 or six and if i do the volume is at around 1 or 2. 

Thank you all for the helpful responses! 

That's the spirit!  There's a fairly inexpensive Prospect on Reverb now, though she does have some wear and tear and no case.  But I think the seller is motivated and may take less than the $1k he's asking.

https://reverb.com/item/6607291-heritage-prospect-1993-natural

13 hours ago, LittleLeroy said:

That's the spirit!  There's a fairly inexpensive Prospect on Reverb now, though she does have some wear and tear and no case.  But I think the seller is motivated and may take less than the $1k he's asking.

https://reverb.com/item/6607291-heritage-prospect-1993-natural

I saw that!!! Definitely in my price range...im a little skeptical about the fact that one of the pups is putting out lower and dont really wanna inherit a guitar with an issue for that much money....definitely tempting though. 

I have a floating block Prospect with Seths. I'm often told that I'm to loud ( I still dont believe that) and I dont have an issue with feedback. I thought feed back from un-potted PUPs will screech , not howl. The hollow body is why they "howl". I could be wrong but that was my impression. I do get a nice "singing" feedback which is really cool if used correctly. 

5 hours ago, GrimFossa said:

I saw that!!! Definitely in my price range...im a little skeptical about the fact that one of the pups is putting out lower and dont really wanna inherit a guitar with an issue for that much money....definitely tempting though. 

If you decide you're interested, ask the seller to send a pic of the bridge pup so you can see how far it is below the strings.  It probably just needs to be raised a bit and balanced with the neck pup.  It's typical that the bridge will be softer than neck due to less amplitude of any string at the bridge compared to at the neck.

1 hour ago, CJTopes said:

I have a floating block Prospect with Seths. I'm often told that I'm to loud ( I still dont believe that) and I dont have an issue with feedback. I thought feed back from un-potted PUPs will screech , not howl. The hollow body is why they "howl". I could be wrong but that was my impression. I do get a nice "singing" feedback which is really cool if used correctly. 

Right on man. Thats definitely reassuring :) Thank you!! Cant wait to get one!! 

Archived