Heritage Owners Club

Mad Dogs and Englishmen... Brimar starting up again!

212Mavguy

Brimar is starting up production of vacuum tubes again! 

http://brimaruk.com/

In addition to their tubes, they have an affiliate that is building a hifi amp and a guitar amp as well.  The guitar amp is about as retro looking as anything I have seen today.  I don't like to see the tubes mounted directly on a printed circuit board, but mounting them upright instead of inverted helps them last longer from better cooling and also allows less heat transfer to the board.

http://www.tellytone.com/

Fun to read their quirky materials!  I am interested in trying some of their tubes.  If they can make a great sounding power tube and good 9 pin preamp tubes then it will be a good thing to give JJ, the Russian reflektor, and the Chinese Shuguang some needed competition.  Time will tell!

They are in the process of restoring the old Mullard tooling.  They have a line of preamp and power tubes now available, they say all of them are currently being made in England.   I thought that this guitar amp was pretty novel looking.  I'm not a fan of having the tubes mounted on a PCB, but in this case (if I have it right) they are mounted upright, which is much better as far as transferring heat to the board.  I love the look!

The video describing the production of the Tellytone amp was a nice tongue-in-cheek pastiche of the sort of "Look at Life" documentaries that might have been shown in cinemas in the 1950s and 1960s before the main feature. I particularly liked the special ingredients - "midnight oil" and "elbow grease"!

The amp has perfectly captured the look of a British television set (or "telly" as we used to say), and the name (TV405) is a reference to the old 405-line picture standard.

I think I'll stick with my 633 Drive King... :D

P.S. Here's a fine example of the "Look at Life" documentary... 

I had given up on these guys' claim of product in Q3 '17.  When I went there just now, I found the web page was updated,  Hoping!!!

logo.jpg

gainiax.com

On 1/13/2018 at 4:01 AM, bobmeyrick said:

The video describing the production of the Tellytone amp was a nice tongue-in-cheek pastiche of the sort of "Look at Life" documentaries that might have been shown in cinemas in the 1950s and 1960s before the main feature. I particularly liked the special ingredients - "midnight oil" and "elbow grease"!

The amp has perfectly captured the look of a British television set (or "telly" as we used to say), and the name (TV405) is a reference to the old 405-line picture standard.

I think I'll stick with my 633 Drive King... :D

P.S. Here's a fine example of the "Look at Life" documentary... 

I am with you on the 633 thang fo sho!!!  But the Tellytone is pretty damn cute for the living room or man cave at least!  Especially with the optional set of legs!  Haaaaah!

Archived