Heritage Owners Club

String Gauges?

Heritage1970

Hope everyone's having a great 2018!!

I know this topic has been discussed before- but it's always interesting to bring it up again every once in awhile:

What's everyone stringing their Heritage' up with? And what brands? I'm currently hooked on D'Addario NYXL 9-42.  Friends tell me to go heavier, but I've tried and always come back to 9-42. I've played D'Addario for years, used the regular XL's forever before the NYXL's hit a few years back. For acoustics I go 12-53 D'Addario Nickel Bronze. I highly recommend these for Acoustics! They bring out the tone BIGTIME on all my acoustics- it's pretty unreal actually. HUGE difference from typical strings. Interestingly I know a lot of people using the same gauge on electric and acoustic these days, but that just doesn't feel right to me- need that extra kick with the thicker strings for Acoustic. No way could I use a 9 on an Acoustic!! Anyways- curious to read what everyone's using in 2018!

I used to use heavy gauges 11's and 12's but pretty much use 9-42's on everything electric except a yamaha that feels like it has 9's when it has heavier gauge strings on it, I think I have 10's on it now.

I kinda like EB slinkys but used to get given strings so I just used what ever I was given and I think I got to a point where I didnt know what brand I was using unless they were elixirs, which I dont like. I wouldnt use Elixirs at home much like I dont like using V30 speakers at home. i only play at home.

I'm going to put a set of ThroBak Pure Nickel Hex Core 10-46s on the Fab H150 I bought from John last year. I will clean the fretboard with F-One Oil first. I have tried 9s and 10.5s but keep coming back to 10s. Have I mentioned how great that H150 is? John really knows how to set up a guitar.

I would be curious to know what the difference is between regular Daddario XLs and the NYXLs.  I have been using regular XLs 9-42 for years, but have thought about the NYXLs.

There is no "right" gauge.  There are many factors -- tone, volume, staying in tune, ease of playing, etc.  Some of those factors play against one another, so it can be a compromise.  Everyone has to choose the right compromise for themselves.  On electric, I play a lot of lead, I bend a lot, and I have small hands -- anything other than 9-42 on a 24 3/4 scale guitar hampers my playing style -- too hard to bend, for me.  Do they stay in tune as well as a heavier gauge set? -- no, but if I stretch them out well enough when I put them on, it's not too bad of a problem.  On occasion, I use a "light top heavy bottom" set, the  lower three strings being a bit heavier -- they do achieve proper pitch faster when picked, and I don't bend the lower three strings so often so it's okay.

I've read that Billy Gibbons uses 8's, and Stevie Ray used 13's -- they certainly work well for their playing respective styles / hand strength, etc.

Acoustics are a bit different.  Most of the same stuff still applies, but there is the additional factor of having enough energy to vibrate the top.  Taylor, for example, recommends mediums for their dreadnoughts, because anything lighter will not have sufficient force to energize the top properly.

2 hours ago, goSteelers said:

I would be curious to know what the difference is between regular Daddario XLs and the NYXLs.  I have been using regular XLs 9-42 for years, but have thought about the NYXLs.

There is no "right" gauge.  There are many factors -- tone, volume, staying in tune, ease of playing, etc.  Some of those factors play against one another, so it can be a compromise.  Everyone has to choose the right compromise for themselves.  On electric, I play a lot of lead, I bend a lot, and I have small hands -- anything other than 9-42 on a 24 3/4 scale guitar hampers my playing style -- too hard to bend, for me.  Do they stay in tune as well as a heavier gauge set? -- no, but if I stretch them out well enough when I put them on, it's not too bad of a problem.  On occasion, I use a "light top heavy bottom" set, the  lower three strings being a bit heavier -- they do achieve proper pitch faster when picked, and I don't bend the lower three strings so often so it's okay.

I've read that Billy Gibbons uses 8's, and Stevie Ray used 13's -- they certainly work well for their playing respective styles / hand strength, etc.

Acoustics are a bit different.  Most of the same stuff still applies, but there is the additional factor of having enough energy to vibrate the top.  Taylor, for example, recommends mediums for their dreadnoughts, because anything lighter will not have sufficient force to energize the top properly.

Love reading the comments guys! ^^go: I agree- I always stretch strings out big time before playing. I know some people don't but I find it's a huge help. I used the XL D'Addario for years- in my opinion the NYXL's feel pretty much exactly the same, but the life span is way longer. That's one of the selling points put out by the company too. But they do cost a bit more than regular XL's, so, if you don't have a problem with breaking strings a lot, sticking with XL's is probably fine. Tone wise I think they're a BIT brighter- more top end- but that could be argued too as it's not a very noticeable difference. You're right- Gibbons using 8's, SRV 13's- both with tones to die for- so it's always interesting how different tools and different players all get great results! 

I'm going to put a set of ThroBak Pure Nickel Hex Core 10-46s on the Fab H150 I bought from John last year. I will clean the fretboard with F-One Oil first. I have tried 9s and 10.5s but keep coming back to 10s. Have I mentioned how great that H150 is? John really knows how to set up a guitar.

Love these strings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, goSteelers said:

Trust me, trust me, listen.  The NYXLs have a heavier tension than the XLs.  So 10 NYXLs are more like 10.5s.   I did a "review" of the NYXLs a couple weeks back, but basically the positives are they stay in tune like no other string, last a LONG time, but their tone is a bit "plain Jane" Hi-Fi.  A lot of guitar companies are using them as their default string because they stay in tune so well and last.  A lot of touring guitarist as using them for the same reasons.  Bottom line, I have heard better sounding strings but none that intonate/stay in tune as well.  ALSO you probably will have to tweak your action because of the higher tension.

55 minutes ago, fxdi35rider said:

Love these strings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, all my electrics now have Throbak Nickel plated Hexcore 10s on them.  (I am not a fan of round core because they have less tension and don't intonate as well as hexcore.  Also I find pure nickel to be a bit dull sounding compared to nickel plated).   Just my .02

Normally Daddario 10-46 with a wound 3rd on my electrics,Daddario EJ 26 phosphor bronze (11-52) on my acoustics.

A few exceptions,mainly on old acoustics eg 1934 Martin 0-17 where I use silk and steel to keep down the tension in

the neck and top.My acoustic Golden Eagle also uses ground wound phosphor bronze but 13-56.

Long long time ago a good buddy suggested I give Dean Markley 1974's (10 -46) a shot. They've become my string of choice for the Bakersfield. DM has since dropped the 1974 nom and now just calls them 2503, but it's the same string, feels quite groovy on the Tele-ish guitar. On the Lancaster (3 single coil) git I've been using GHS David Gilmore Blue label (10 - 48). Very low tension, almost TOO low tension. I've considered stepping up to the DG Reds, which are just a tad bit heavier. The DG Blue work quite well on the PRS CE24.

A bit off topic, but will come back on - I've been on a long search for low tension acoustic strings. Tried the GHS Silk and Bronze, Silk and Steel, but neither of them are all that low tension. I have Dean Markley Sig Series Vintage Wind that I haven't tried yet. But I think the current reasoning for calling most acoustic strings "low tension" is that they're 11's, not necessarily low tension by design. The Martin Marquis Silk definitely ARE low tension, and sound pretty dandy. But my acoustics are set up for 12's. Enter - Optima Strings. At NAMM this year they are introducing they own line of low tension acoustic strings (total tension around 130lbs), in 12's. Hmmm. I contacted the West Coast distributor and he is sending me 2 sets pre-NAMM to try out, provide feedback. Should be here tonite. Now, back on electrics. For grins he's sending me a set of the Optima Maxiflex 24k Gold 10's, as well. Just to try and evaluate. Gold plated guitar strings .... wha????? Should be an interesting weekend for new guitar strings here in the Pec. 

44 minutes ago, tulk1 said:

Long long time ago a good buddy suggested I give Dean Markley 1974's (10 -46) a shot. They've become my string of choice for the Bakersfield. DM has since dropped the 1974 nom and now just calls them 2503, but it's the same string, feels quite groovy on the Tele-ish guitar. On the Lancaster (3 single coil) git I've been using GHS David Gilmore Blue label (10 - 48). Very low tension, almost TOO low tension. I've considered stepping up to the DG Reds, which are just a tad bit heavier. The DG Blue work quite well on the PRS CE24.

A bit off topic, but will come back on - I've been on a long search for low tension acoustic strings. Tried the GHS Silk and Bronze, Silk and Steel, but neither of them are all that low tension. I have Dean Markley Sig Series Vintage Wind that I haven't tried yet. But I think the current reasoning for calling most acoustic strings "low tension" is that they're 11's, not necessarily low tension by design. The Martin Marquis Silk definitely ARE low tension, and sound pretty dandy. But my acoustics are set up for 12's. Enter - Optima Strings. At NAMM this year they are introducing they own line of low tension acoustic strings (total tension around 130lbs), in 12's. Hmmm. I contacted the West Coast distributor and he is sending me 2 sets pre-NAMM to try out, provide feedback. Should be here tonite. Now, back on electrics. For grins he's sending me a set of the Optima Maxiflex 24k Gold 10's, as well. Just to try and evaluate. Gold plated guitar strings .... wha????? Should be an interesting weekend for new guitar strings here in the Pec. 

Cool! Let us know how the strings are when you try them out! Definitely curious

I believe these folks make the wire used by a lot of the guitar string "manufacturers".  Now they're marketing guitar strings under their own brand name.

http://www.mapeswire.com/guitar-wire/

Anyway....   I use Ernie Ball 9s.  Stretch 'em out, then tune 'em up a full step for a couple of hours before playing, or overnight if I have time.   A set will typically last 3 weeks, with the .009 usually lasting 2 - 3 gigs.  I replace the broken EB .009s with D'Addarrio, though I'd rather use EB.  But the D'Addario singles are easy to find in Santa Fe.  I have to solder the wrap at the ball ends on the D'Addario .009s or they tend to unwrap on me.

I might try the Mapes just to see how they do.

2 hours ago, y2kc said:

D'Addarrio  9.5's. 

Yes there is a 9.5 and I use them on my Heritage and G&L guitars. For my old hands  and the way I play, these are perfect.

y2kc

I saw these once! 9.5's! D'Addario has an amazing selection of strings that's for sure- I might try these some time. Of course they're a bit lighter than 10's but a bit heavier than 9's- but I'm curious: do you really feel a big difference between either 9's or 10's? Thanks! 

The only issue I have with the D'Addario 9.5 is that the rest of the strings in that set are too much on the lighter side. The low E is a 44.

All in all, I do enjoy them more than the 10 -52's I used for 40 years. I have my G&L Nighthawk and all my Heritage guitars sporting them at the moment. 

y2kc

Archived