Heritage Owners Club

String Gauges?

Heritage1970

Principally, I like to use 11th - up to 48/49

Currently, my H150 has Earnie Ball 2245 Stainless Power (11/48),

my H535 has D'Addario NYXL115 (11/49) - they do feel and sound faboulos.

I am using D'Addario/Earnie Ball/Dogal and Rotosound Strings.

For decades I used 10/46 (in the beginning also 9/42 on Strats) but since 5/6 years I have been using 11-48/49. Also experimenting with 11th up to 54.

I changed to heavier gauge because I modified my style of playing and found the heavier ones gave me a better feeling .

Cheers

On 30.1.2018 at 9:23 AM, Einerbe said:

Principally, I like to use 11th - up to 48/49

Currently, my H150 has Ernie Ball 2245 Stainless Power (11/48),

my H535 has D'Addario NYXL115 (11/49) - they do feel and sound faboulos.

I am using D'Addario/Ernie Ball/Dogal and Rotosound Strings.

For decades I used 10/46 (in the beginning also 9/42 on Strats) but since 5/6 years I have been using 11-48/49. Also experimenting with 11th up to 54.

I changed to heavier gauge because I modified my style of playing and found the heavier ones gave me a better feeling .

Cheers

I just ordered these (3 sets on Amazon for like $11 and free prime shipping). I mainly got them to try on my new used 525. The seller had a custom gauge set with a high E .012, .015 B an unwound .019 G, .030 D, .040 A and .050 E. His tech recommended the gauges. On this guitar they work very well. And maybe because the guitar is just a nice player, that high E does not feel like a .012. I can bend it pretty well and it has that nice strong tone. He was buying custom made sets from one of the big dealers but you have to buy 10 at a time I believe. I'm trying those .011 D'Addarios Bill posted as a compromise. They should work well on my Gretsch too which currently has .010s.

My 575 gets Jazz light gauge D'Addarios (.012 with a wound G). All my other electrics get D'Addario .010 EXLs. For now at least. I may go heavier on some of the short scale guitars and see how it works. I'm convinced a heavier string gives a certain vibe I like.

Anyone using a .012 set with an unwound G not sold as a custom set? I'm going to e mail my Just Strings and ask them what they have.

On 1/14/2018 at 11:42 AM, notbillgelder said:

D'Addario EXL 115  11-49. I buy them 10 pack, so they cost about $3.50 a set. I change them after about 25 hrs of play time.

D'Addario EXL115 Nickel Blues/Jazz Electric Guitar Strings 10-Pack

1 hour ago, Hfan said:

Anyone using a .012 set with an unwound G not sold as a custom set? I'm going to e mail my Just Strings and ask them what they have.

I have a set of GHS Boomers that I use for slide.

set GBH

12  16  19  DY28  DY38  DY52

i doubt that it's tension balanced.

Thanks Buzzy, I'll check them out. I'm trying that set of .011s Bill posted first. That high .012 I'm using is a bit much some times for bends. Thanks again.

On 2/1/2018 at 9:46 PM, buzzy said:

I have a set of GHS Boomers that I use for slide.

set GBH

12  16  19  DY28  DY38  DY52

i doubt that it's tension balanced.

I installed the .011 Daddarios Bill recommended and I'd say they are very good  for the 525. Going a little lighter on the high E is a good thing for me, a little easier to bend and the other gauges are pretty close to the custom set it came with. I won't have to buy separate strings to make a custom set either. I may try them on a few other guitars as well.

On 1/14/2018 at 11:42 AM, notbillgelder said:

D'Addario EXL 115  11-49. I buy them 10 pack, so they cost about $3.50 a set. I change them after about 25 hrs of play time.

D'Addario EXL115 Nickel Blues/Jazz Electric Guitar Strings 10-Pack

• 2 weeks later...

Ernie Ball M-Steel 09-42

This is the string used by Steve Lukather, so I read. Of course he's not your typical hollow buddy, but a very tasty player indeed. So I tried these strings on both my stratocaster and my rebuilt Heritage VIP2 as these guitars ar both fitted with tremolo units like mr. Lukather's guitars. I did not like the M-Steels. Somehow they felt too thin. Then I put them on both my H150 and H535, reputedly guitars that sound best with a thicker gauge. But the M-Steels do very well, it must be something with that steel - I don't know - and of course they bend real easy, so you could give 'm a try. They cost an arm and a leg over here in the Netherlands but not at Elderly in your USA to name an address. Furthermore I don't change them 'after about 25 hours of play time' but once a year. I must say I have about seven guitars begging for my attention, so my year of string life may not be yours, but the M-Steels are definitely high quality.

Archived