Heritage Owners Club

New (used) 140 Owner. Parts Questions

GmA

Hey!  I just bought an H140 in need of some love. It was cheap and I am up for the project. Which tuners should I buy? The serial number stars twith D, so I believe it’s a 1987. I want them to be direct replacements without any drilling needed. I have some pictures of the guitar and I am open to suggestions. I already have an SD ‘59 for the bridge and it has the original schaller neck pup. I’m gonna buy a wiring harness off reverb, a new bridge, and then go to town. Thanks in advance for any help. 

**I am having trouble uploading photos. I’ll post them in the morning.!

2 hours ago, GmA said:

I have some pictures of the guitar...

And you elected not to post these photos?  This is a serious infraction on this site.  That said, what type of tuners are on the 140now?  I would think you could get direct replacements at Stew-Mac.  You could probably get most of what you need there.  I am not sure about the hardware change out, metric or standard... but someone here will know all about it. 

I sure would like to see that guitar...

52 minutes ago, Millennium Maestro said:

The most common tuner heritage uses is the Grove 102 series

yep most Heritages had the Grovers...that is good to know though, I never knew the actual model # !!

I 2nd the request for pics!

Sorry it took so long to upload the photos, I've been busy the past few days. I bought this as a project guitar and I am super excited about it. It obviously need some work, but the bones are VERY solid. According to the person I purchased this from, it was their Grandpa's and he worked for Gibson/Heritage for quite some time (probably BS, but fun story).  I figure $200ish worth of quality replacement parts, time, and patience oughta have her up and squealing in no time.

Grover posts definitely fit the holes, but the screw hole is diagonal. Any idea of which model Grovers would accommodate my needs?

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1420.jpeg

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

That top is killer. I don't have a camera good enough to do this plaintop justice, wonderful grain. 

Gold is what came on it. I like nickel as well, and I'll probably swap it out. Gonna leave the bridge pup uncovered... because Rock N Roll or whatever.

1 hour ago, GmA said:

Grover posts definitely fit the holes, but the screw hole is diagonal. Any idea of which model Grovers would accommodate my needs?

IMG_1424.JPG

Every time I see this hole pattern I think Schaller. they have a M6_180... here is the link.  There is a spec. document there you can use to measure correct fit.
https://www.schaller-electronic.com/hp555171/M6-180-posts-for-solid-headstock-23-7-mm-37.htm?ITServ=ctfcs7kabebf1pg591btcl7i22

5 hours ago, Millennium Maestro said:

Every time I see this hole pattern I think Schaller. they have a M6_180... here is the link.  There is a spec. document there you can use to measure correct fit.
https://www.schaller-electronic.com/hp555171/M6-180-posts-for-solid-headstock-23-7-mm-37.htm?ITServ=ctfcs7kabebf1pg591btcl7i22

Thanks a bunch, I’ll check them out, I put a “Grover” in one of the holes and it fit well but screw holes didn’t line up.

3 hours ago, iGouger said:

amazing how gorgeous that one is, even in it's current shape. keep the pics coming as you bring it back to life... would love to see the progress.

I’ll keep posting pics along the way. Any tips, tricks, or suggestions are welcome.

It’s actually a rare guitar (note...that does not mean valuable).

The holes indicate there was different tuners other than Grovers.

Do you mind exposed holes?

The pickguard doesn’t belong to tha guitar, that’s a newer H-157 Pickguard.

With The Florentine cutaway, the guard doesn’t line up correctly.

its a beautiful guitar, some spit and polish and the upgrades your doing, it will be a great guitar! 

DB is right, its unusual.   Its got binding along the neck which, not standard on the basic H140.  Definteily the pickguard is not stock. 

The tuners  could be Grover 205.   Its very close to the Schaller.    Interestingly, my 87 H140 has Grover 102 style with the hole straight down.

image.png.af1f3dd6742181834a864ce437d40745.png

Archived