Heritage Owners Club

I was wrong about my Sperzel tuners..they are fine after all

Hfan

Last summer I started a thread about the Sperzels on my H535. I thought they were slipping, and I got great advice here with install tips and replacement recommendations. I actually bought a set of Kluson Tulip Tips that I believe Kuz recommended. They have been sitting since, I'm busy lately. Here is the link, the thread appears closed:

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/32255-anyone-replace-the-sperzels-on-their-heritage/

I finally had a chance a week ago to grab some tools and start the process. I pulled off the first Sperzel and found that the Klusons fit perfectly so I would just have to make a hole for the one screw each. The Sperzels use a separate pin that goes into the headstock and into a recess on the tuner, no screws.

Then I noticed how much nicer the Sperzels looked on this 535 which has an ivory binding on the headstock and pearl inlay. The ivory pearl colored Sperzels were a perfect match in color and size. The tulips to me stuck out too far and looked odd and were a poor color match. The Heritage boys and Jay knew what they were doing. The 535 is a "35 Special" that Wolfe sourced around a decade ago it is a 2006.

Then the Homer Simpson moment, DUHHH the knob screws and the nuts on the Sperzels were mostly all loose, hence the slop. Tightened them up and project over. I'm glad I did not make any new holes. And I felt dumb but relieved and it freed up an hour of my time to actually play a little.

I felt bad that I had dissed the Sperzels by claiming they slipped. My mistake. Sperzels are fine and they are pretty.

So I now have a set of Klusons I wasn't sure what to do with. They may go on a future Epi jazzbox I am considering. My apologys to the Sperzel folks.

DSC_0072.jpg

Sorry...not a fan of the Sperzels.  I do regular maintenance, and kept mine sung (not over-tight).  But somehow I managed to spin three of the plastic keys on the spindles while tuning...twice on gigs. No, no, no!  Replaced them with the Kluson tulips and never looked back.  And yes, Pete, the  Klusons are an easy retro-fit.

1 hour ago, pressure said:

If you ever have any questions about Sperzels just call them up, they are very accommodating.

I have a 150LW and 137 w/ Sperzel tuners.  The 150 had pearloid buttons that spun.  I called and they don't warranty that button.  They tell you they will fail.  The pearloid are pretty so...

Totonka went to Sperzel's office and collected button sets for me (great guy!).  All the other buttons they have are lifetime warranty.  The new buttons have survived the past 5 to 10 years flawlessly.

20180125_113538.jpg

I have to agree: Ron is awesome with customer service!  I had a client who brought me a guitar for repair - the D string kept slipping so he had reverted to winding it on the post.  I took the tuner apart and found the pin that locks the string had (somehow) fallen out.  Ron sent me 3 pins of different sizes to make sure I got the right one.  No charge.  Not even for postage.  I installed a new pin and the tuner works like new.  

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, Spectrum13 said:

Fan of the locking with metal keys but after several ivory buttons spun out, I replaced them. Excellent customer service but they do not replace buttons' or keys that rounded out on warranty.

Was it worse than spinning out on your bicycle?

23 hours ago, LittleLeroy said:

Not for nuthin', but that's a beauty!  Like an ocean of waves....

Thanks LittleLeroy. I saw it on ebay then drove to CT to meet the seller and snagged it.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:45 AM, yoslate said:

Sorry...not a fan of the Sperzels.  I do regular maintenance, and kept mine sung (not over-tight).  But somehow I managed to spin three of the plastic keys on the spindles while tuning...twice on gigs. No, no, no!  Replaced them with the Kluson tulips and never looked back.  And yes, Pete, the  Klusons are an easy retro-fit.

Same here Rob.

I had to keep tightening my faux ivory Sperzel tuning buttons.  Due to the tightening, I had a couple of them strip out at home while practicing so I just bought some new faux Sperzel buttons (that didn't match).   But once during my one of my Church Service gigs, all of a sudden out of no-where the D tuning button stripped and wouldn't work at all.  I grabbed my backup guitar and vowed to change all four guitars I have with those Sperzel turners.  It took me a week to complete using Kluson Deluxe Tulip tuners.  And personally, I like the vintage green Kluson color (YVMV). 

Archived