Heritage Owners Club

Seymour duncan 59?

Tincu

I put Seymour '59's on my 140,and the difference was amazing...and swapped some of the hardware too .. and replaced & re wired the pots. Now, it's a killer !

Heritage C140CM & H575 Headstock.jpg

Thats a pretty subjective question. It really depends on what you're looking for tone wise. IMO A pair of 59's will sound good in there as an all around pick up. Seth's and Pearly Gates are popular also. Some guys like a combo of two. Maybe a 59 and a JB. I'm sure someone here will have a better answer. 

As CJTopes said, the 59s are good all rounders. When you acquire more than one H150 you can have a choice...

My favourite 150 started with 59s, but I swapped them for a pair of Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays (Alnico 2 magnets, based on the early PAF) which gave what I can only describe as a "looser" feel and a slightly sweeter sound. When I acquired another 150 from a friend as part of a deal involving an amp swap I decided to keep the 59s. It's nice to have the options.

If you haven't seen these guys already, check out the Doug and Pat Show. In their pickup comparisons they use a 150 as their test bed guitar, and they have a 1958 and a 1960 Les Paul as benchmarks. They're also very amusing :D. In fact in Shootout#2 they tested a pair of Stormy Mondays ... 

There are lots of good pickups out there, and half the fun is finding the ones that you really like.

I recently bought a Heritage h150 with pick-ups Prc Mccarty in bridge and Gibson classic 57 in the neck. This combination does not suit me. I wonder how it sounds like an SD 59? I want  a warm, clear, creamy tone more open.What should I choose?

A friend suggested me the combination 57 classic in the neck and 57 classic + in the bridge.Or Dimarzio 36 paf. What to choose between the classic 57, 57+ or the Dimarzio paf ? 

I'm thinking that Heritage thought the best combination would be with the 59 SD's pick-ups. I mean the guitar sounds the best with these pick-ups .... I'm waiting for the opinions ...

If you already have them and like them I'd say keep them. They are good pickups.

I have a Hamer Studio (think double cut LP type). I picked up a pair of PAF types from a very popular and expensive winder. Got them used to try in the Hamer which came with 59's. I wound up reinstalling the 59's the same day. FWIW.

The thing to keep in mind is all guitars will sound different based on the system; the player, the pick, the strings, the wood, the attack, the amp, etc.   The idea is to balance out the result you seek to your ear and not necessarily rely entirely on an opinion. 

The response curves and relative impedance (from wind counts) of the pups are available.  These were measured with a fixed setup that do not necessarily match the rig in your guitar. 

If you feel you need more/less brightness, see what you currently have in your guitar and go for a new pup with roughly the same impedance, but a difference in the spectrum response.  Keep in mind that adjusting pole height relative to the string can change the tonal response and gain.

If you feel you need more/less gain, see what you currently have in your guitar and go for a new pup with roughly the same tonal curve, but a different in impedance.  In general, a higher impedance will equate to more gain and a slight decrease in brightness so keep that in mind. 

Change your components a part at a time, so you will understand how you arrived at the new landing point and whether it meets your intentions.

There is no one ideal pickup, but a path to matching what you want to hear.

I agree with the idea that the 59's are a great pickup set.  If you want a nice all around tone with lots of range, the 59's are a safe bet.  If you want something special you will probably find other options.

Archived