Heritage Owners Club

1997 H-535 pups question

Budha

5a76e3fdcd772_Heritagetrio555-140-575.jpg.9c62751f585956977f80650438152e28.jpg

Both the 555 and the 140 (1986) here have been fitted with Seymour '59's,and were much improved.The 575 (1988) still has the stock Schallers,as it's not used for anything but jazz gigs. A traditional stop bar was added to both guitars,greatly improving the sustain.It all works for me.

The seller tells me the guitar has been fitted with Seth Lovers.  Was the original hardware nickel and not black?  Were the H-535 guitars built in the 1997 time frame  well built as they are today?  This would be buying a guitar I have never played.

I now have an Epiphone ES 335.  I love the 335 style guitar and would love to get a good quality one.  I looked at Gibsons and was not impressed with the workmanship.  A local mom & pop music store recommended the H-535 but they are not a dealer.  I figure everyone on this forum loves their Heritage guitar.

I have never seen a Heritage guitar other than on the internet.  Any help is welcome.

45 minutes ago, Budha said:

I finished researching.  I ordered a new Cherry Red H-535 from Wolfe Guitars today.  NGD coming soon. 

image.png

Good lord!  I guess you did finish researching, and quite a dissertation you have there!  Jay's pretty particular about the guitars he gets from Kalamazoo.  That should be a honey!  Gorgeous!  Congratulations!

The new H-535 arrived yesterday afternoon.  Holy Cow what a nice guitar.  It seemed risky to buy a $2000+ guitar over the phone when I have no experience with the Heritage brand or the guitar I purchased.  I just wanted a good 335 style guitar worth the money paid and there seemed to be enough information saying the Heritage is worth the price. 

The workmanship and the attention to details are flawless on the guitar (not my experience with Gibson 335's).  Wolfe Guitars set it up per my preferences.  The setup is perfect.  The blues tone through my Hod Rod Deluxe clean channel is just what I was looking for.  I understand Wolfe also performs final quality checks on their inventory as guitars arrive from their vendors.

I know there are great Gibson 335's out there, but I was not able to find one I would buy within reasonable driving distance.  I was unwilling to buy a Gibson that I did not get to play first.  But for some reason I was willing to take a gamble on the Heritage over the phone.  I am happy.

I plan to keep my Epiphone ES 335 Pro as a backup and for use as needed.  The Epiphone is more than worth the $450 price tag that it costs new.

right on! glad you find it worth the price. Truth be told, and many of us may find this hard to acknowledge, quality of recent builds is very likely a tick or two above what it was when that '97, or my '02 were built. And those were well built guitars. You did well.

My progression to Heritage followed yours. I had a great playing Washburn semi. Japanese built. Simple, not of high value, but a solid instrument, worth a few hundred bucks to the right player. I loved the semi platform and wanted to graduate to a finer instrument. Of course I started looking at Gibsons, went far and wide, and could never find one as well made or comfortable as my Import Washburn. I was not, nor am I now,  a Custom Shop candidate. I came across my '02 in a shop on consignment and that was it. Made the deal, sold the 'burn, and the love affair continues. 

welcome

Congrats on moving from an Epi semi-hollow to a 535! 

And welcome to the red 535 owners club. They just FEEL so good to play, being ever so slightly thinner and lighter than 335s. I'm much happier with my 535 than I was with a '79 ES 347. 

I'm also keeping the Dot DB used to have. The darn thing sounds so good with Seths it's not worth letting go.

Either one of those 2 535s would have been great to own. But, yeah, there's nothing quite like the smell of a brand new guitar! Even one as red as that one. .... B) And, you get to put all the dings on it. Play it like it was built to be ......... played!!

Archived