Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Ending Almost all Arch Top Production According to Wolfe Guitars Facebook Post

ingeneri

Hi Meng~

I'm really taken by the GE displayed at NAMM!  I love the split inlays and flamed maple back and sides! 

However, that's one of the only Golden Eagles I've seen without the Cupid's Bow at the end of the fretboard.  Was that because of the BJB style floating pickup?  Also, will there be Eagle inlays available in the bridge base?  

image.thumb.png.7b45506cb2a916a11d2b163b09e38d0f.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

There are obviously a lot of different threads flying around, and this will inevitably get flamed but I will share an update that I was hoping to be able to post sooner. On the larger issues at hand, there are so many other posts that respectfully I'm not sure exactly how or where or I can even appropriately respond, but I am happy to converse personally with any member of the forum who would like to drop me a PM and answer any questions they have as best I can.

Without further ado... there is some misunderstanding that the Standard Line-Up is about turning Heritage into a 150/535 mass-production line. This is not the case, and as I had referenced before in an earlier post - there are plans regarding Custom guitars we all know and love (like the Millie, Prospect, Jazzboxes etc) that were to be announced soon. The Standard Line-Up was necessary to be announced for NAMM because it largely affects the dealer and distributor channel.

What we are proud to share, and sorry for the delay that led to speculation - is that Heritage will continue to build custom models, and a greater selection of shapes than available in the Standard Line-Up but available only to customers directly from the factory and not through dealers for 2018.

Custom guitars and the variation afforded are one of the most cherished parts of Heritage's offering, but the reason why we have had to make channel changes is because it is important to understand that for Custom guitars or models that only sell one or two pieces a year - the hardest part is not the core construction, but more logistics issues like actually making sure all the parts, paint are purchased and available and that we have a suitable case for the guitar. Prices will be higher than Standard Line guitars, which I understand will be unpopular, but I would hope that it would be appreciated that the work that goes into a custom guitar is very different to one that has already been spec-ed.

We are of course working on plans that would allow dealers to customise guitars like other manufacturers or like we were able to do historically, but it's not realistically possible for 2018 as we try and keep everything moving in the right direction.

I hope this post is helpful in some way and if you would prefer for me not to post here in the future we will of course respect the wishes of the community.

52 minutes ago, meng said:

Hi guys,

There are obviously a lot of different threads flying around, and this will inevitably get flamed but I will share an update that I was hoping to be able to post sooner. On the larger issues at hand, there are so many other posts that respectfully I'm not sure exactly how or where or I can even appropriately respond, but I am happy to converse personally with any member of the forum who would like to drop me a PM and answer any questions they have as best I can.

Without further ado... there is some misunderstanding that the Standard Line-Up is about turning Heritage into a 150/535 mass-production line. This is not the case, and as I had referenced before in an earlier post - there are plans regarding Custom guitars we all know and love (like the Millie, Prospect, Jazzboxes etc) that were to be announced soon. The Standard Line-Up was necessary to be announced for NAMM because it largely affects the dealer and distributor channel.

What we are proud to share, and sorry for the delay that led to speculation - is that Heritage will continue to build custom models, and a greater selection of shapes than available in the Standard Line-Up but available only to customers directly from the factory and not through dealers for 2018.

Custom guitars and the variation afforded are one of the most cherished parts of Heritage's offering, but the reason why we have had to make channel changes is because it is important to understand that for Custom guitars or models that only sell one or two pieces a year - the hardest part is not the core construction, but more logistics issues like actually making sure all the parts, paint are purchased and available and that we have a suitable case for the guitar. Prices will be higher than Standard Line guitars, which I understand will be unpopular, but I would hope that it would be appreciated that the work that goes into a custom guitar is very different to one that has already been spec-ed.

We are of course working on plans that would allow dealers to customise guitars like other manufacturers or like we were able to do historically, but it's not realistically possible for 2018 as we try and keep everything moving in the right direction.

I hope this post is helpful in some way and if you would prefer for me not to post here in the future we will of course respect the wishes of the community.

mob.gifmob.gifmob.gif

Just to clarify, I did not say "Heritage to end all archtop production"......Of the 6 models they currently offer 4 are archtops- H530, H535, H575 and Eagle Classic. I wish the topic heading were corrected(??). I hope folks realize this did not come from me, and this is NOT what I posted. No big deal, just incorrect.

31 minutes ago, StephenK said:

Meng... I wish you well and success.

Such a consummate gentleman! I hope his plans work too for my good friends at the factory sake!

41 minutes ago, meng said:

What we are proud to share... that Heritage will continue to build custom models, and a greater selection of shapes than available in the Standard Line-Up but available only to customers directly from the factory and not through dealers for 2018.

We are of course working on plans that would allow dealers to customise guitars....

Since you let it out, I am gonna respond!  Plain out Special Ed. business tactics.  For you to be successful and build your brand from an obscure product that is not well known in the US let alone the world... You need loyal followers devoted to your brand, by dumping on your entire database of associates, Dealers and those with core attachments in the factory you may very well endure an unfortunate and Nasty "Backlash".  

Your new 15 page dealer agreement is going to go over like a "Lead Zeppelin" with your Dealers...  but you knew that going in, it is just part of a "The bigger plan!"

Please do me a favor, (I know this product better than you) When you speak of the product from years past, remember that your words about your vision of a future product can be and are degrading to your past products, Thankfully you have Jim and Pete at the factory to dwell on for the BEST ADVISE you will ever get. My golden era heritages may have a few imperfections, They are ALL excellent guitars!!  It is time for you to bring in the CNC machines.

It is however unfortunate I will no longer continue doing business with the Meng Heritage... I will always be supporting my friends at the Factory.

By the way, you are still just a small guitar manufacturer, trying to build 7 guitars a day, you are a LONG ways from being the company you are trying to imitate and those notes you wrote on paper are not reality, just goals and words carry no weight! Only through action will you earn the respect you will need moving forward.

7 minutes ago, Millennium Maestro said:

Anyone interested in knowing what the standard line is that Dealers have to work with in 2018?   Jay, care to share some free marketing?

I'm kinda waiting for you to cool down. Man, you're really upset, although I can't blame you Guy. I hate all this crap!

9 minutes ago, jaywolfe said:

I'm kinda waiting for you to cool down. Man, you're really upset, although I can't blame you Guy. I hate all this crap!

Jay, I am not upset in the least, as always I am very blunt and devoted...  I Think Meng needs to hear a few things, I also know your position will not allow for your full disclosure... As I have also left true facts to come for "The Sources".

The new 2018 Dealer agreement/Requirements was going to either push me forward or push me away and I knew that after seeing the 2017 programs... Simply put if it did not move in a positive direction from my business plan I was done.  I am done.  

PS. When you have had enough Jay, They will feel the pain... more than my measly $20-30k yearly. What is your feedback on not selling outside the US? (Wait we can discuss that privately)

Hey Guy, with all due respect, I have never said that previous era guitars are bad. You are absolutely right, they are ALL excellent guitars.

The only thing I have emphasised is that we would like to improve quality (as most dealers and customers today are not as tolerant of flaws and imperfections that you and I would be okay with as players) but isn't that a respectable goal for anybody, to always strive to improve? If expressing a desire to improve can be construed as degrading past instruments, then I sincerely apologise, because that is not the intention.

To show my support and help clear further confusions.  Contact your favorite Dealer to order from the New 2018 Standard Line listed below.  My advice, "Hold off until the quality goes up" (My sarcastic humour!)

2018 Guitars:  Standard line (No Options)

H-137 TV Yellow
H-137 OSB

H-150 - ACB Antique Cherry Sunburst
H-150 - OSB Old Style
H-150 -VWB Vintage Wine
H-150 - CNSB Chestnut

H-535 - OSB Old Style
H-535 - VWB Vintage Wine
H-535 - Antique Natural
H-535 - Cherry Trans

H-530 - OSB Old Style
H-530 - Antique Natural
H-530 - Cherry Trans

H-575 - Antique Natural
H-575 - OSB Old Style

Eagle Classic -ALSB  Almond Sunburst

So, are they now pulling from the Carvin/Kiesel playbook?

Maybe more "limited runs" would work well with the dealer channels. Ernie Ball MusicMan's Premier Dealer Network and BFR packages have been quite well received.

For the PDN, as they were all the same special paint job, samd woods, etc., it makes it easier to source it.

1 minute ago, meng said:

Hey Guy, with all due respect, I have never said that previous era guitars are bad. You are absolutely right, they are ALL excellent guitars.

The only thing I have emphasised is that we would like to improve quality (as most dealers and customers today are not as tolerant of flaws and imperfections that you and I would be okay with as players) but isn't that a respectable goal for anybody, to always strive to improve? If expressing a desire to improve can be construed as degrading past instruments, then I sincerely apologise, because that is not the intention.

Thank you for placing that on the record!   Sounds like we do have one thing in common.

6 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

So, are they now pulling from the Carvin/Kiesel playbook?

Maybe more "limited runs" would work well with the dealer channels.

I had some really cool concepts, spoken to wood suppliers. Those ideas are on the back burner.     I am eager to see if their preferred dealers do some cool stuff.

1 hour ago, Millennium Maestro said:

Jay, What is your feedback on not selling outside the US? (Wait we can discuss that privately)

Fortunately we have restraint of trade statutes in the good ole US of A which basically protect a Retailer from such ill conceived constrictions. I have hundreds of long time customers worldwide & will continue to sell to them as I wish. This my right as a Murican. = :>)

Archived