Heritage Owners Club

Source for Replacement Pickup Rings?

Cassady

As I posted in this thread Finally Qualified to be a Real Member, I'm the proud owner of two new heritage guitars.  I'd like to make some minor changes to my H535 to make it look a bit more like my H150.  On both guitars, I am changing the knobs and switch tip for some really cool grained ivoroid knobs from Crazy Parts in Germany and the tuner buttons for grained ivoroid from All Parts.  I would like to change the pickup rings on my H535 to some matching those on my H150.  I bought a set of cream rings, but they aren't quite the same thing--they're slightly larger and lower than the stock rings.

So, does anyone know where I can get some cream colored rings like those on my H150?

Thanks!

Lots of places, and different types of pickup rings to be had. A pic of the type of rings you’re looking for would help. I want to think that they were just using the same ones that are sold by Allparts.

Suggest you check out allparts... lots of choices. Not my business but if you keep the black pickguard and cream rings, it might not look optimal. I kind of like and used wood pickup rings to match fingerboard or the top. Thought about different color pickguard?

https://www.allparts.com/pickup-rings

PC-0745-0M0 Humbucking Pickup Ring Non-slanted Maple
PC-0745-0R0 Humbucking Pickup Ring Non-slanted Rosewood

Average Rating(0)

$30.00

Thanks!

The rings that Allparts sells that I think would work best-- the curved, cream color rings, are out of stock.  The set of aftermarket rings that I did get won't let me fit the pick guard.  This isn't a huge problem since I think I'm going to leave the 535 without a guard and fill the screw holes with some matching furniture touch up marker (basically just a reddish brown crayon and easily removed).  It would be nice to have the option of a guard, though, and a custom one the same color as the guitar would be super cool.

I wish I could find grained ivoroid pickup rings to match the other plastic I'm putting on the guitars, but the only place I know that uses pickup rings like this is Collings and they won't sell them separate from a guitar...

E bay has quite a few. My 150 came with a Gibson shaped plastic guard that never matched the rings. I found a set on e bay with the pick guard, rings and poker chip that all matched perfectly.

Another member here (thanks H) taught me to shape the rings to match the arch of the top. Lots of guys just put them in place and tighten but if the arch is pronounced they will crack eventually.

Hold a piece of sand paper on the top / arch at the pick up cavity and rub the rings to get a bit of a carve out if that makes sense.

28 minutes ago, Hfan said:

E bay has quite a few. My 150 came with a Gibson shaped plastic guard that never matched the rings. I found a set on e bay with the pick guard, rings and poker chip that all matched perfectly.

Another member here (thanks H) taught me to shape the rings to match the arch of the top. Lots of guys just put them in place and tighten but if the arch is pronounced they will crack eventually.

Hold a piece of sand paper on the top / arch at the pick up cavity and rub the rings to get a bit of a carve out if that makes sense.

Gibson rings only come flat. However they are made with a plastic that is much more flexible. The trick is tightening the rings down a little bit at a time, and doing so over a period of weeks to allow the plastic to flex. The Schaller rings almost always crack regardless. The plastic used just seems to be a bit on the brittle side.

Thanks everyone.

I contacted Heritage about this and got a prompt response.  It turns out that they are Allparts rings, but they're flat, not curved.  Since these are in stock at Allparts, I ordered a set.

I appreciate all of the responses, thanks very much.

Archived