Heritage Owners Club

Going overseas?

holyroller

Hello , has heritage ever looked at making a guitar overseas? Seems like every company’s got a import line that seems to offset the more expensive USA made ones. Martin , fender, Gibson ,prs and I know there’s more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there was some sort of prototype made a few years back, but nothing became of it. Didn’t the recent post from “Meng” state that they weren’t planning an import line?! I certainly hope they just stick with the Kalamazoo made line only.

28 minutes ago, davesultra said:

Didn’t the recent post from “Meng” state that they weren’t planning an import line?! 

yup.

Meng's exact words.

p.p.s: there has been speculation that Heritage would create a cheaper line of import guitars - this is not the plan. In my humble opinion, a Heritage guitar made outside of 225 Parsons Street, Kalamazoo is not a Heritage guitar.

Not a lot of room for interpretation there.

I hope they never do.  It will dilute the brand name.

As an example...

Reverend used to make guitars here in Michigan.  About 11 years ago, they switched production to Korea.

The shape of the guitars stayed about the same, they kept up with quality standards and have done well.

When asked about a USA custom shop, they said no.  They don't want their custom shop competing with their import line.

I'm sure Gibson sells way more Epiphones (and mostly higher quality) than Gibson standard production line.

Hamer tried that and look at the brand now?  Some Asian businessman bought the name and brought back the brand, completely unrelated to the originals.

The idea of Heritages being built overseas is a road best left untraveled.

...All in my own opinion of course.

I agree they should not make an import line.  They have a unique story to tell and it doesn't fit with building outside of Kalamazoo.  It does keep them from a larger customer base, but there are already many players in that space.  There is no other company (including Gibson) who can make Heritage's claim to history.  Gibson may have the patents, but they gave up the Heritage in 84.

Guys said the same things when G&L (not a big producer) decided to have the Tribute line of guitars. I really don't know how they sell, but you do see a considerable number of Tributes on eBay and in the used market. Never owned one. Don't really want one. But, there must have been a big market for cheaper guitars at one time. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Stringman

Seems like the companies like PRS, Martin, Fender, etc. that build guitars overseas are popular companies to begin with. I can't tell you how many fairly knowledgeable guitarists I have talked to have never heard of Heritage. If Heritage were to head to China, most people would think "Hmmm....another Chinese guitar" never knowing what the name Heritage stood for.

Somehow I think it’s a good idea. It needs to be looked at . If you could get a heritage around 899$ or somewhere around that price point. It’s kept fender and other company’s makin money .

1 hour ago, holyroller said:

Somehow I think it’s a good idea. It needs to be looked at . If you could get a heritage around 899$ or somewhere around that price point. It’s kept fender and other company’s makin money .

no no no no no.

It simply wouldn't be a Heritage. It would be an LP clone with a word silkscreened on a headstock. Buy a Cort or a washburn or an ESP or whatever. Enjoy it.  What you're asking for is the ability to say "I have a heritage" without  having to pay for one. Play the instrument, not the headstock. The company has spoken and said it won't happen. Let it lie.

I don't agree it has saved other companies, I think it has hurt them. Buy your starter guitars, learn to play, ply your craft, save your pennies, get the Journeymans tool when you're a journeyman. Acoustics are a very different beast. The methods of construction and materials span a vast range. Not so with solid bodies. Building 300.00 acoustics serves a purpose of providing newbs with tools. And for the record, aside from Martin, what household name in acoustics has Asian AND domestic builds in their product line . Collings? Taylor? Larrivee? Gibson Acoustics? Does any major brand other than Martin? I believe it's either or...Fender's acoustics are entry level toys. Gibsons acoustics are handbuilt and priced accordingly.  Washburn is an import line, with one or two domestically handbuilt offerings that come and go from the line, priced at 4 - 6 times what the other products are.Makes NO sense

Won't happen. move on. 

On 2/14/2018 at 11:51 AM, kidsmoke said:

yup.

Meng's exact words.

p.p.s: there has been speculation that Heritage would create a cheaper line of import guitars - this is not the plan. In my humble opinion, a Heritage guitar made outside of 225 Parsons Street, Kalamazoo is not a Heritage guitar.

Not a lot of room for interpretation there.

MENG???

Archived