Heritage Owners Club

Harmony guitars?

bolero

anyone here have an old Harmony guitar?

I have always wanted an acoustic

( since Heritage has bought the Harmony name I guess we can post this here? or mods feel free to move this to off-topic )

JJ Cale's "Troubador" album cover has always seemed like a nice nod to Harmony, as well:

MI0000621264.jpg

11 minutes ago, bolero said:

( since Heritage has bought the Harmony name I guess we can post this here? or mods feel free to move this to off-topic )

Did they?   I saw Harmony mentioned in another post here,   I didn't know they had bought the name

I had a Harmony Soverign back in the 1960's.  I wish I still had it today.  I paid $65 for it new in 1966.  Martin D-28's at that time were about $400 without a case. 

I seems like a saw a video of JJ Cale playing an old Harmony that had been so heavily modified it was a Harmony in name only.

36 minutes ago, bolero said:

those are nice!!

Thanks.  The archtop is in unplayed condition, the guy that sold it to me called a couple of months later asking if I wanted to sell it back.. ha. 

The acoustic is the model that Jimmy Page used in early to mid Led Zeppelin..  it is the model used on Stairway to Heaven.... ( Does anyone remember laughter? ) 

A bit of clarification,  It isn't that Heritage bought the name.   Bandlabs bought both the Harmony and Teisco names with the goal of relaunching both brands.   They are partners with Heritage.   In any case, it looks like there are major marketing efforts afoot.  

As for Harmony guitars,  I never had one.   They were never on my radar.

Never owned a Harmony acoustic, but a used Harmony Stratotone was my first electric as a 13 year old kid.  Still have it...but over the years its been modded up and barely recognizable as a Harmony.

My first NEW electric was a '67 Harmony H52 w/Bigsby.  $199 out the door w/case.  I played that thing for many years in every kind of venue  known and unknown to man. 

If that old p.o.s. gitfiddle could talk!:blush:   

3 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

A bit of clarification,  It isn't that Heritage bought the name.   Bandlabs bought both the Harmony and Teisco names with the goal of relaunching both brands.   They are partners with Heritage.   In any case, it looks like there are major marketing efforts afoot. 

ah, thanks for the info Rich; I thought it was Plaza Corp

Very first guitar was a harmony acoustic.  'Twas a total POS with action higher than a kite; all laminate/plywood body.  Years later, my first electric was a Fenderish harmony with a harmony solid state amp.  The combo sounded so bad that I quit guitar for the next couple years and stashed it in the back of the closet.

I have a Harmony H 162 jazz box in pretty damn good shape with OHSC. I will part with it. PM me if interested. Probably around a 1958 an d I was told that at the time they put Gibson pups in them. I like to say that it was the top of the line of the bottom of the line guitar company.

I’ll trade it straight across for an H 357 by god.

Ooops.... my mistake....... the guitar I have and will part with is an H-62 arch top. Not the H-162 flat top. It is the blond model and still willing to trade for an H-357.

http://harmony.demont.net/guitars/H62/170.htm

The man who taught me how to play back in around 1962 had a H75 electric and for the past 25-30 years my partner and i have

had matching H75s complete with Bigsbys. The bodies were made in Germany but the pickups were DeArmonds which give an amazing

'60s sound.Everytime I see one in good condition i want to buy it (i think I need to see a psychiatrist !!!)

I had a pretty horrible Harmony semi hollow (335 ish) back in my high school days. And I had a really bad SS amp at that time as well. I had a classmate, kind of an artistic guy, kind of out there really. He had a brand new Tele but no amp. He did not know how to play guitar but he did want to make weird noises. This SS amp could do that ha ha. I traded him the amp and Harmony for the 73 Tele, we were both happy. I sold the Tele at one point to a friend but got it  back and still have it.

Some of those old Harmonys look cool and it sounds like there are good ones out there. I imagine in the 70s they were mass producing them.

So Heritage now owns the Harmony name eh? May they exist together in harmony. "Herigomony". Or is it "Harmitage? Never mind.

It's kind of funny, all those years of the old Heritage boys sticking to a simple, beautiful, old school process. It wasn't broke and they didn't need to fix it, they did it their way. Old school and very cool IMHO. Mojo in spades. Now there are all kinds of changes afoot, Gibson CS boss involved, Harmony etc etc. It's interesting for sure. I am glad for all those old Heritages that will remain available, just in case. Hopefully under the radar to some extent. It's interesting for sure.

Wow! One more correction on my Harmonay Jazz Box.....it is an H-65. It is like the H-62 but only has one pickup.

image.png.b86204d29bc2db52ec5d4238b49fb0e9.png

Now that is cool? All stock?

Archived