Heritage Owners Club

H535 bridge seth lovers pickup moves (bad sound)

mcamaral

Hi folks! My bridge pickup (seth lovers seymour duncan) on my H-535 moves a little bit. When i play sometimes it vibrates with a bad sound. I know because if i put a finger on it, it stops of vibrating. The thruth is that I am a newbiie on humbuckers and don’t have a manual of maintenance of my heritage guitar. It does not seem any screw (pole screws included) are not fixed... and I have read that the pole screws are only for lock purposes and not for adjusting the volume of each string. in summary, does have anybody any manual to keep my heritage guitar fine? Must I screw the screw poles firmly to avoid the movement of the pickup? Many many thanks in advance

Is the sound present with the guitar unplugged?  In other words, is the problem mechanical or electrical?  Touching the pickup and the sound disappearing would possibly mean a bad ground i( a loose wire).  You can reach in through the f-hole and gently touch the connections around your switch.

I would doubt any problems with the poles.  They should be adjusted in a slight curve, slightly higher in the middle following the curve of the strings at the bridge.

If the problem is mechanical, it is likely one of the pickup cables is hitting something under the pickup or the mounting springs have been installed in reverse.  They are sometime slightly cone shaped and you want the wide part of the cone closest to the screw head when mounted.

Yes the sound is present with the guitar unplugged, so it is about mechanic noise for sure. I if move the pickup forth and back I hear a click in the forth movement. I thank yo u a Lot for your answer because I think you got the point. I’ll  try to fix it in the next change of strings

30 minutes ago, mcamaral said:

i think the foam will solve that for sure, but this makes me think that maybe my guitar not was properly carved with the exact shape to avoid the problem, or am I not right? Nevertheless many thanks for the advice 

My bridge pickup (seth lovers seymour duncan) on my H-535 moves a little bit.  535 is not carved. Think again.

1 hour ago, mcamaral said:

i think the foam will solve that for sure, but this makes me think that maybe my guitar not was properly carved with the exact shape to avoid the problem, or am I not right? Nevertheless many thanks for the advice 

I suspect it is more the springs are too short, to put enough pressure upwards, to keep the pup in place

take the springs off *any* pup and it will float around in there, rattling...so depending on how high the pup is already, raising it might help too?

foam is a cheap & easy fix

you could spend a bunch of time installing longer springs ( which might limit the height range of the pup ) or custom cutting rubber surgical tubing

however that may not be as versatile, if you decide to change your prefs

8 hours ago, bolero said:

I suspect it is more the springs are too short, to put enough pressure upwards, to keep the pup in place

take the springs off *any* pup and it will float around in there, rattling...so depending on how high the pup is already, raising it might help too?

foam is a cheap & easy fix

you could spend a bunch of time installing longer springs ( which might limit the height range of the pup ) or custom cutting rubber surgical tubing

however that may not be as versatile, if you decide to change your prefs

Many thanks, I ll try to follow your advices

hmm

mcamaral did you mean "carved" as in the hole cut for the pickup cavity? maybe English is not your native language?

that is what I assumed you meant by "carved"

I think Spectrum is talking about a "carved top guitar"? which the 535 is not.

But a 535 does have holes cut in it, for the pups :D

--->at the risk of over analyzing this whole topic:

for the record, I do prefer to use proper length springs/surgical tubing, once I nail the pickup height. but I often leave foam in there as well, just in case

hmm
mcamaral did you mean "carved" as in the hole cut for the pickup cavity? maybe English is not your native language?
that is what I assumed you meant by "carved"
I think Spectrum is talking about a "carved top guitar"? which the 535 is not.
But a 535 does have holes cut in it, for the pups [emoji3]
--->at the risk of over analyzing this whole topic:
for the record, I do prefer to use proper length springs/surgical tubing, once I nail the pickup height. but I often leave foam in there as well, just in case

Yes you guessed it I’m spanish ;) So the 335 has holes for the pups as i thought. So my old question was logical. Thanks for your advice, when i change the strings i look into the problem following your tips, they have helped me a lot

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Archived