Heritage Owners Club

Yet another question about pedal order

LK155

I have no idea where these pedals all came from.  They just seem to materialize out of thin air.

Nevertheless, I enjoy using them.  They never go outside of the house, and get used a lot for recording.

The amp I use for recording has no effects loop, so they all sit between guitar and amp.

So here's the issue:  my pedalboard currently has 7 pedals:

Tuner

Parametric EQ

Delay

Phaser

Reverb

Chorus

Ditto Looper (in that order) 

The most I ever have on at once (now) would be the EQ, delay, and reverb.  And I should likely also mention that this setup creates no cumulative hiss problems whatsoever.  

But there's a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 mosfet incoming, and I don't know where it should go in the signal path.

Hell, I'm not too sure about where ANY of them should go in the signal path, except for possibly the tuner, which I figure should be first, and the looper, which I figure should be last.  

So any advice on what would be a reasonable sequence for these 8 pedals (the 7 above plus the Fulldrive) would be most welcome.  Thanks in advance.

some time I like to add delay to my reverb sometimes I like to add reverb to my delay.

If I was gigging I woudnt use reverb.

Some times  a phaser/ chorus can sound great in between your drives/compressors and your delays and reverbs and  sometimes phasers and flangers can sound great before your drives. Kind of like sticking them in front of a JCM800's gain channel.

When ever I was learning a song with phaser or flanger and was having trouble getting the sound right quite often moving it to pre drive or post drive would get me closer to sounding like the guitar track I was  learning.

Sometimes I like to eq my guitar before it hits any other stomps, sometimes I like to eq the drive pedals, sometimes pre gain and somtimes post gain, sometimes I like to just use eq for solo's.

At home, when I played, I never had a board set up because I always moved things around to get the sound I wanted. Always had the intention of getting a home board set up but everytime I got to playing and looking for the perfect sound I would end up dismantling everything.

I bought a Boss MS "something" so I could preset the chain of all pedals anyway I wanted to quickly. It alters the chain according to how you want it without you having to take the board apart. Most digital switching/efects devices have this function.

Theres no real right way if you play and record at home. For gigs/jams you can kind of simplify it and follow some general guidelines, pick your poison and go with it.

For me, gigs and jams:

Tuner(out of line), Comp, drive, modulation, time.

Me at home is 30 pedals strewn about everywhere and only one or two plugged in.

Thanks, Jeff.

So, applying my limited understanding of the terms you used (gigs, jams, comp, drive, modulation, time), I'm thinking this sequence might be OK:

Tuner, EQ, Fulldrive, Phaser, Chorus, Delay, Reverb, Looper.  (hard to tell, I know, but that was a question.)

Usually I would put reverb last in a signal chain. I always plan my signal chains that I never actually build with the idea that every pedal could be on at the same time.

First I would put the tuner, especially if it is a buffered pedal like a Boss. Those are great for driving signal chains and removing interaction with the guitars passive electronics.

Next, The overdrive, then the EQ

After that, I would put the chorus and phaser in any order

Then the delay, and lastly the reverb.

2 hours ago, pressure said:

Put the Parametric EQ in the garbage can.

Put the Delay in the garage can.

Put the Phaser in the garage can.

Put the Reverb in the garage can.

Put the Chorus in the garage can.

Plug your guitar straight into a Fab amp.

Problem solved.

Good times.

Ding ding!  The winner.

I ended up not using reverb and instead used two delays. If real reverb was needed I jjust turned up the reverb on the amp. It was limited in adjustment but it sounded great.

I went through a few reverbs before I just quit. I think a G_major or lexicon rack unit was where I got to before I just settled on two basic delays.

Just as a reality check about effects and iconic and mesmerizing sounds. The guitar sounds on Wicked Games:

Guitars are key to the song. Isaak himself played two acoustics: one standard and one in a Nashville-style high-strung tuning he'd picked up from Night Ranger's Jeff Watson. The haunting lead was by Silvertone's guitarist at the time, James Calvin Wilsey; that, too, was painstakingly crafted. Although Wilsey's melody had been written and played with the live tracks, the version that appears on the record was put together from numerous tracks overdubbed over a period of a couple of weeks, then comped and refined piece by piece.

One of the subtly cool sounds on the track is a MIDI'd string sound triggered by the lead guitar. Jimmy's Strat had a custom MIDI setup, notes Needham, and he played the underlying string pad that goes along with the guitar. [Keyboardist] Frank Martin also played a little sustaining part along with it. It's the only keyboard part on the song; you hear it like a little drone.

Another striking effect on Wilsey's guitar, which was played through a 1964 Fender Deluxe amp miked with a Shure SM57, is a long, quarter-note, triplet delay that swells up at the end of certain notes. To create it, his mono guitar track was sent to a TC Electronic 2290 for pre-delay, then fed to an Eventide H3000 stereo Rich Chorus program. The effect is that the mono guitar hit swells up into the delay, then spreads out into the stereo chorus to create a kind of pad. (Engineer Mark Needham) rode the effect up at each spot by hand, then automated it and printed onto a track of the MCI.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, LK155 said:

I have no idea where these pedals all came from.  They just seem to materialize out of thin air.

Nevertheless, I enjoy using them.  They never go outside of the house, and get used a lot for recording.

The amp I use for recording has no effects loop, so they all sit between guitar and amp.

So here's the issue:  my pedalboard currently has 7 pedals:

Tuner

Parametric EQ

Delay

Phaser

Reverb

Chorus

Ditto Looper (in that order) 

The most I ever have on at once (now) would be the EQ, delay, and reverb.  And I should likely also mention that this setup creates no cumulative hiss problems whatsoever.  

But there's a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 mosfet incoming, and I don't know where it should go in the signal path.

Hell, I'm not too sure about where ANY of them should go in the signal path, except for possibly the tuner, which I figure should be first, and the looper, which I figure should be last.  

So any advice on what would be a reasonable sequence for these 8 pedals (the 7 above plus the Fulldrive) would be most welcome.  Thanks in advance.

You get the Fulltone used ? I love mine

17 hours ago, pressure said:

Put the Parametric EQ in the garbage can.

Put the Delay in the garage can.

Put the Phaser in the garage can.

Put the Reverb in the garage can.

Put the Chorus in the garage can.

Plug your guitar straight into a Fab amp.

Problem solved.

Good times.

I LOVE THIS!!!! And are FAB amps built in the USA or China?

Archived