Heritage Owners Club

Speaker cab question

rwinking

I have a question about a speaker cab and I am sure I will get a lot of opinions.....

Is anyone  here familiar with the old bandmaster 3X10 cabinets from back in the 50s? I am curious what the advantage of three tens might be. Bruce Egnater designed a cabinet for his MOD 50 with one twelve that mojotone built for me and I am liking. The cab is huge (I use a D120 in it) for a 1X12 and sometimes it might be cool to use two cabs. I was considering having the same cab built with either two tens or three tens and wanted some feedback or plus/minus opinions.

thanks in advance

rick

This is just a general opinion based on my experiences; but there is so much variation between speakers, paired with some great modern speaker designs, and all of what I'm about to say can pretty much be tossed out the window... but here I go anyways...

A 10" can have a tighter bass response, and may reproduce high tones a little better... but might not sound as big and full, and bass may not sound as deep (tight, but not as deep). 

A 12" can have deeper bass, but might not sound as tight/accurate. At high volumes, a 12 will push more air and can give you that "feel it in your chest" sensation, that a single 10" might not push enough air to achieve. 

3 10"s could potentially get you close to something that's the best of both worlds... 

Now again, those are just generalizations... different speakers in either size could vary in results... but my last comment I'm going to make, which is a potential big pro in my book for 3 10" over 1 12", is that you could mix up those 3 10"s and really have some fun! 

I don't know if this helps, or muddies the waters, but the actual size of the speaker cabinet is rarely discussed but I find it makes a big difference in what I hear.

I have a 1 10"" cabinet loaded with a Ragin Cajun speaker (it is oversized) and it sounds amazing.  I also have a very large 2 12 cabinet (large but light weight) and find that side by side, there is a huge change (even with the same speakers).

IF you get a chance, you should also experiment with the speaker enclosure size. I have ended up with many different flavors, closed, back open back, oversized. Wish there were more discussions about the actual cabinet sizes themselves.

BTW: KPB810 is a great resource here as I have a couple of his amps and he knows his stuff. The combination of speaker and cabinet though offers a whole bunch of fun.

The 1X12  I have is really oversized and sounds huge. I was more wondering about the practicality of pairing it with a 2 or 3X10. Also wondering if anyone has any experience with one of those old 3X10 bandmasters.I remember the 4X10 bassman, but those 3X10 bandmasters must be pretty rare....

So I went ahead and ordered a 2X10 cab. I have a big 1X12 cab which sounds huge that I love and as I am doing some R&R larger venue type gigs I wanted too add a little high end punch. So what I will have now will be a full stackette w/a 50w head and two cabs. I went ahead and ordered a couple of Weber California 10s with paper domes to offset the sometimes piercing D120 I have in the other cab. It should be an interesting combination. Thanks you two for your input! 

14 hours ago, rwinking said:

So I went ahead and ordered a 2X10 cab. I have a big 1X12 cab which sounds huge that I love and as I am doing some R&R larger venue type gigs I wanted too add a little high end punch. So what I will have now will be a full stackette w/a 50w head and two cabs. I went ahead and ordered a couple of Weber California 10s with paper domes to offset the sometimes piercing D120 I have in the other cab. It should be an interesting combination. Thanks you two for your input! 

Good move.  2x10 cab for guitar amps can sound fantastic, especially with quality speakers as you've chosen.  I dig Weber Cali's.

To scratch my 2x10 itch a while back I picked up this old Epi cab loaded with 2 CTS AlNico 10's from the late 60's.  Sounds amazing connected to my Vibro Champ!

image.png.f2cf72ca508adb6c2f8bbd826e399c1b.png

When did Epiphone make those cabs? That is so cool! I don't remember ever seeing one

Now I am officially jealous. Those are too cool. I had no idea about the Gibson Plus 50, which apparently is what these were. It looked like a sound system for a band....you plug the bass player and guitar players into it. Great score!

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2018 at 3:14 PM, Gitfiddler said:

Epi made them back in 1966 or so.  I believe they were Kalamazoo born n raised...part of the Epi EA 600 Maxima amp rig.

image.png.24845d0fcf249765210097125135832a.png

Here's another that was sold on Reverb with a great description:  https://reverb.com/item/6443051-1966-epiphone-2x10-vintage-guitar-amp-extension-speaker-cab-by-gibson-kalamazoo

I had the gss100 Gibson equivalent of this

On 3/7/2018 at 3:14 PM, Gitfiddler said:

Epi made them back in 1966 or so.  I believe they were Kalamazoo born n raised...part of the Epi EA 600 Maxima amp rig.

image.png.24845d0fcf249765210097125135832a.png

Here's another that was sold on Reverb with a great description:  https://reverb.com/item/6443051-1966-epiphone-2x10-vintage-guitar-amp-extension-speaker-cab-by-gibson-kalamazoo

Full marks for obscurity, Tim!!

On 4/13/2018 at 1:50 PM, mars_hall said:

Make two of them the same impedance and the 3rd double in parallel with the two in series

I recognize the words as English. But ... what?

On 4/19/2018 at 7:50 AM, tulk1 said:

I recognize the words as English. But ... what?

Get two 16 ohm speakers and wire the pluses(+) to each other and the minuses(-) to each other.  This pair will be 8 ohms. 

Now the third speaker is 8 ohms and you wire the plus of it to the pair of minuses of the other two speakers. 

The minus of the 8 ohms goes to the ground lug of your jack and the pair of pluses goes to the center tip lug of the jack.

image.png

The end result is 3 speakers and a 16 ohms cabinet

Use two 8 ohm speakers in series and then put these in parallel with a 16 ohm speaker to get an 8 ohm cabinet.   Magic

image.png

Let me get this straight.

You put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em bot' together
Put the lime in the coconut and you'll feel better
Put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em bot' up
Put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning

Ok,  I think I've got it!

Archived