Custom Creations From Heritage

skydog52

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/1/2018 at 5:10 PM, DavesNotHere said:

post6137.JPG

post6145.JPG

Mr. NotHere, What pups are in the 357?  and, do you like them?  Is it Korina?  When was she made? Love the wood PG and cavity cover!  well, love the entire thing, really...

OK, here are mine.  All custom orders......

Custom 555 (Mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, upgrade premium wood package, Old Style Sunburst, 555 inlays, 1 3/4" nut width, Throbak PG 102 pups)

fUuzYti.jpg

Custom 535 P90 (#1 of Production 535 P90s, Lollar P90s, upgrade premium wood package, Marv Wineburst) 

4G83Vmr.jpg

Custom Golden Eagle ( Florentine Custaway Golden Eagle 1 of 4 that I know were made, Upgrade Premium wood package, Dark Almond Sunburst, 1 3/4" nut width, HRW pup)

dLtOxFa.jpg

BA5EeNT.jpg

p7cfyZN.jpg

ouPHdIV.jpg

BVEsZrD.jpg

GD378tA.jpg

e1BT3Xa.jpg 

3 hours ago, LittleLeroy said:

Mr. NotHere, What pups are in the 357?  and, do you like them?  Is it Korina?  When was she made? Love the wood PG and cavity cover!  well, love the entire thing, really...

Thanks. I love the collection you've put together!

The pups are Fralin P92s. I found it takes some fiddling to get them dialed in using a Fender amp, but when I use(d) my Gibson GA60 Super Goldtone, they were glorious no matter what I did with the settings. I recently traded the Gibson for a custom Heritage H-485 (need to post those shots in this thread). The amp was labeled Gibson but it was a UK made Trace Elliot, so I'm thinking I need to get another British voiced amp to make her come alive again.

Marv made it for me in 2013. It is the fraternal twin of Chris' (Bolero) . Marv made made them in batches of two or three and Chris' and mine were made together. It is Korina, or as Marv put on the label  Korena. We went back and forth on the finish. I originally asked him if he could get a VSB type finish on the korina, but he said korina has a bit of a green tint and it it's hard to get to a yellow color, he suggested an orange shade and we talked about that for a while. He called it the "pain in the ass orange". I thought that was funny as hell and asked him to put that on the label, but he just laughed and said he couldn't do that, and just put Korena Orange. The wood pick guard and cavity cover were my idea, and I was pleased Marv agreed to do it. Not billgelder has the second and last wood pg and cc of which I'm aware of on a 357.  I asked him for a thick neck and he really delivered. If you think you've played a big neck, well this one is bigger....

The 150 in that shot is one I speced out when I picked up the 357 from the shop.

This is an excerpt from what I posted back then.

"I lost my mind while I was there picking up mine. I was walking and talking with Marv and Jim and I asked about another custom. I was thinking 155 or 150/157. I asked Marv about a one piece top for a 150 and he he looked at me and said sternly " Why would you want a one piece top?" And I was kind of at a loss and said " Uuuuhhh 'cause it would look cool??" He just said "OK"

I asked him if there was any structual or tonal reasons I shouldn't use a one piece top and he and Jim both said "No, it's just most people want a two piece top" and I said "Well I'm not most people." So, Jim took me back to a stash of tops he was working on, most were two pieces, but he had a stash of one piece tops that he squirreled away. I looked through them and found one that I thought was beautiful, and Marv said "Well go ahead and put your name on it". So i did, then before I knew it I was picking out a five piece neck from several that Marv was working on . I put my name on one of those, and then I was picking out a one piece back and a color and then I was thinking what I had to sell to buy my new custom! Marv said "Go home, think about the rest of the details and then call me. We'll price it for you" So, I guess I bought another guitar!"

38 minutes ago, DavesNotHere said:

Thanks. I love the collection you've put together!

The pups are Fralin P92s. I found it takes some fiddling to get them dialed in using a Fender amp, but when I use(d) my Gibson GA60 Super Goldtone, they were glorious no matter what I did with the settings. I recently traded the Gibson for a custom Heritage H-485 (need to post those shots in this thread). The amp was labeled Gibson but it was a UK made Trace Elliot, so I'm thinking I need to get another British voiced amp to make her come alive again.

Marv made it for me in 2013. It is the fraternal twin of Chris' (Bolero) . Marv made made them in batches of two or three and Chris' and mine were made together. It is Korina, or as Marv put on the label  Korena. We went back and forth on the finish. I originally asked him if he could get a VSB type finish on the korina, but he said korina has a bit of a green tint and it it's hard to get to a yellow color, he suggested an orange shade and we talked about that for a while. He called it the "pain in the ass orange". I thought that was funny as hell and asked him to put that on the label, but he just laughed and said he couldn't do that, and just put Korena Orange. The wood pick guard and cavity cover were my idea, and I was pleased Marv agreed to do it. Not billgelder has the second and last wood pg and cc of which I'm aware of on a 357.  I asked him for a thick neck and he really delivered. If you think you've played a big neck, well this one is bigger...

Thanks Dave!  It's a blessing.

I'm wondering if this one was made when Chris and yours were made, or if it's the "twin" of someone else's.

P.S.  it seems every MarvBird owner thinks they have the largest neck! LOL!  We'll have to start a competition and really measure them at the nut and 12th fret (on the fret with strings off).  Got your micrometer handy?  ;-)

3.jpg

2.jpg

7 hours ago, LittleLeroy said:

Thanks Dave!  It's a blessing.

I'm wondering if this one was made when Chris and yours were made, or if it's the "twin" of someone else's.

P.S.  it seems every MarvBird owner thinks they have the largest neck! LOL!  We'll have to start a competition and really measure them at the nut and 12th fret (on the fret with strings off).  Got your micrometer handy?  ;-)

3.jpg

2.jpg

I don't think it was Three of a Perfect Pair, but I'm fairly certain it was part of the next set Marv started. Mine wound up finishing about a month behind Chis' due the custom inlays.  I couldn't pick mine up until the end of May or early June, and I remember seeing your baby either when I picked up mine or at PSP that year. I've developed CRS syndrome :pardon_mini:. Was it originally made for Guitarbean? 

I don't know the whole back story on the paint supplier, but apparently Heritage's source only had Pelham blue available in spray cans, and for years Marv refused to a "rattle can" finish.  So when I saw this one in the shop I asked him if he found a new source for the paint and he just nonchalantly said "No, I used a rattle can" So go figure, I guess GB got him on a good day B) 

I do clearly remember your Mille in the shop. I'll never forget that beauty mark. After I picked out the wood for the 150, Marv and I walked through the finishing area looking for inspiration. When I saw your Mille my jaw dropped. For quite a while that was going to be the finish on my 150. I have yet to see a photo that really does that finish justice.

That thing is spectacular!

What are the pups in your 357? Are they P92s?

great back story!

somewhere there is a pic of Dave and myself talking to Marv, at Brent's farm. that was the germination of both our 357's

drinking beer around guitar builders can be dangerous....

here is a bigby-less shot, the day I picked it up. pic taken at the train station

station1.jpg

Here we go , round 2. My first custom Heritage and its Fab.

Millie DC H155.

Lets start with the wood; carved Spruce top, highly flamed maple back, 5-piece neck, ebony fingerboard with H555 style markers but all the way down to the bottom (no bars for the last 3 markers) ebony headstock with pearl logo and 555 diamonds, solid black stinger ( I hadn't thought of the ghost stinger on this first build), Sperzel tuners, bone nut, no f-holes, finger tailpiece, custom sunburst done by Mr. Marv Lamb, Stevens Design pickups and RS Guitar Works electrics.

gHUxTV6.jpg

v3SdrOD.jpg

h49jWCR.jpg

A2boqu1.jpg

B45QsXZ.jpg

IgBtX31.jpg

WFEjPFQ.jpg

2 hours ago, pressure said:

Here we go , round 2. My first custom Heritage and its Fab.

Millie DC H155.

Lets start with the wood; carved Spruce top, highly flamed maple back, 5-piece neck, ebony fingerboard with H555 style markers but all the way down to the bottom (no bars for the last 3 markers) ebony headstock with pearl logo and 555 diamonds, solid black stinger ( I hadn't thought of the ghost stinger on this first build), Sperzel tuners, bone nut, no f-holes, finger tailpiece, custom sunburst done by Mr. Marv Lamb, Stevens Design pickups and RS Guitar Works electrics.

gHUxTV6.jpg

Very cool!  Some questions: Is she super-lightweight?  Did u decide where to put the bridge pup, and at what fret does the neck join the body?  Must have an interesting tone in Middle and Bridge positions!

6 hours ago, bolero said:

great back story!

somewhere there is a pic of Dave and myself talking to Marv, at Brent's farm. that was the germination of both our 357's

drinking beer around guitar builders can be dangerous....

here is a bigby-less shot, the day I picked it up. pic taken at the train station

station1.jpg

Love the black PG!  

Archived