Heritage Owners Club

Who has bought a New Heritage guitar from a dealer in the last 10 years?

skydog52

Over

I was luck to find a NOS 25th anniversary 535 in antique natural a couple years ago at Motor City Guitar in West Bloomfield. It had been in storage. I already had a 25th Anniversary 150 LW in Vintage Sunburst so I feel fortunate to score a 25th anniversary to go with it. For me, 2006 thru about 2015 or so are my favorite years for Heritage. Plus anything Paul had built for Green Oak Guitars as I would have to imagine a little bit of extra mojo goes into guitars he has available from that era.  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, RhoadsScholar said:

Over

I was luck to find a NOS 25th anniversary 535 in antique natural a couple years ago at Motor City Guitar in West Bloomfield. It had been in storage. I already had a 25th Anniversary 150 LW in Vintage Sunburst so I feel fortunate to score a 25th anniversary to go with it. For me, 2006 thru about 2015 or so are my favorite years for Heritage. Plus anything Paul had built for Green Oak Guitars as I would have to imagine a little bit of extra mojo goes into guitars he has available from that era.  

Speaking of Green Oak.....  I really resonate (no pun intended) with Paul's choices.  This is a 2012 Millie Ultra Pro, for which Paul chose a pair of awesome Bareknuckle pickups.

more pics in the Custom Creations thread.

FrontWall1.jpg

Bought my H157 in 2008 new from a dealer in Colorado (though, to be fair it was a close-out on eBay) for $1,900, which is still the most I've ever paid for a guitar.

The dealer said that it was a dealer rep guitar and that I would like it very much, and he was right. Most of you would probably hate it, though--it's an 11-pound beast that conjures up memories of the old Norlin Les Paul Customs I've owned and loved. I've had everything from Duncan Blackouts to a set of Pearly Gates in it. Currently, I've got a Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom in the neck and a Duncan Distortion (neck version) in the neck. The SH-11 is perfect for this guitar, as it's a pretty bright-sounding guitar. Nails anything from Gary Moore-style heavy blues to John Sykes-style molten metal. I'll probably go back to a Pearly Gates in the neck, as I've gotten my best recorded neck tones with that combo.

Now that I've got two kids, my guitar budget is basically zilch, so no new Heritages for me anytime soon, regardless of who owns the company or what they're making.

I purchased two new Heritage guitars from Wolfe Guitars this year.  I bought and H150 and then discovered that they had an H535 in the same color with a consecutive serial number and bought it, too.  I'm very happy with both guitars.  They were finished in March of 2017, according to their serial numbers.

The only minor setup complaint I had was that both had the tail pieces set low enough that the strings were hitting the back edges of the bridges.  Not a big deal.

I don't know whether any remedial fret work was done at the dealer or not, but I'd give both guitars a solid B+ or A- grade.  It's not the best fret work I've ever seen on a new guitar, but it's perfectly adequate.  The action and intonation was very good on both instruments as well.

Both of these guitars were perfectly fine out of the box.  I expect to have to do some setup work on every new guitar I buy, whether it's a $350 Squier or a $5,000 arch top.  It's not as convenient now as when I worked part time in a stringed instrument shop, but about the first thing I do on any new guitar is a complete setup, including polishing the frets and making sure that the nut is cut "properly".  I may play it for a bit to make sure there are no huge problems and then I break out the tools and give it the once (or twice) over.

In short, I'm quite happy with my two Heritage guitars.

On 3/10/2018 at 2:55 PM, pressure said:

I have had 3 custom Heritage guitars made since 2011 all purchased thru The Music Gallery in Highland Park Illinois. Frank at The Music Gallery was very easy to work with and I wouldn't mind doing another Custom Heritage guitar with them. But the most memorable, funnest part, was getting phone calls on Tuesday from Ren about the guitars being made and being able to work with Marv, Jim, J.P. and Bill.

Heritage Spruce Millie AC serial number, March 5th 2011.

Heritage Spruce H170 AE serial number, July 28th 2014.

Heritage Spruce Prospect AF serial number,  September 2nd 2015.

oh yeah those are all beauties!!

it was a lot of fun trying them out, thanks again!!

On 3/10/2018 at 8:19 PM, LittleLeroy said:

Speaking of Green Oak.....  I really resonate (no pun intended) with Paul's choices.  This is a 2012 Millie Ultra Pro, for which Paul chose a pair of awesome Bareknuckle pickups.

more pics in the Custom Creations thread.

FrontWall1.jpg

was this guitar ever at Steiner's?

I recall he had one just like that, when we all crashed his place on the way to PSP one year

56 minutes ago, bolero said:

was this guitar ever at Steiner's?

I recall he had one just like that, when we all crashed his place on the way to PSP one year

Yes it was.

I purchased the H150 from Wolfs in 2012. The pickups say 59's but I hear more spank from them then what is normal, so I suspect the pickups are Seth Lovers. I'm not sure cause I haven't opened it up to look, so its just an observation. The reason I mention it is because I have an H535 with 59's on the lable, but when I opened it up it had Seth Lovers. The H150 is not my highest quality guitar but it seems to be my favorite.

Archived