Heritage Owners Club

Best amp ever

JeffB

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been digging my Victoria Regal II lately. The whole tube swap flexibility angle is lots of fun. With a pair of old 6V6 it sounds like a huge 5e3. With a pair of 5881 it’s all Hollywood Fats. A fun amp to be sure. 

Are we talking about what amp we own, or what one we want?

The best amp I own is a '67 Fender Princeton non-reverb. Though I did just get one that will take the top spot very soon. 

Amps I would like to own; Soldano slo 50, matchless  chieftain, Sonic Machine Factory 35, Carr Rambler and that loud killer sounding amp that Greg owns.

19 hours ago, tulk1 said:

No contest. VOX AC30. Any version.  

11 hours ago, myoldfriend said:

Matchless DC30, cos nobody has 75k laying around for a Dumble!

One could solve the above two simultaneously with an AC/DC 30!

That's silly, it'd be just a Marshall Plexi with EL-84s and an EF-86.

1 hour ago, notbillgelder said:

Are we talking about what amp we own, or what one we want?

The best amp I own is a '67 Fender Princeton non-reverb. Though I did just get one that will take the top spot very soon. 

Amps I would like to own; Soldano slo 50, matchless  chieftain, Sonic Machine Factory 35, Carr Rambler and that loud killer sounding amp that Greg owns.

Is it mildly ironic that this thread reads like a Line 6 POD owner's manual?

If we're wishing, topping my short list is a Metropoulos (either model).  It's straight off the soundtrack of my youth!

On 3/16/2018 at 2:08 PM, DetroitBlues said:

1959 Bassman

Thought we were talking guitar amps.....

Peavey Classic 50 212

1 hour ago, kbp810 said:

When you've got both channels bridged together, the Bassman is an absolute beast of a guitar amp. 

+1

If we're talking "wishing on a star" amps. I'd like a Two Rock. When I saw Matt Schofield he absolutely killed on one. Then I saw this:

I value Greg's insite into guitar matters so when he suggested I get a dollie for my very heavy Mesa KingSnake i thought what the h*ll give it a try.

I went to Wal-Mart and asked if they had dollies and they directed me to an isle full of dollies, picked one out and bought it.

When I got home I attached the dollie to the KingSnake and surprise, surprise it didn't feel much lighter to me, maybe a bit lighter but not a big difference. I did notice the mids were much more haunting.

I think somebody's pulling my leg but its hard to tell on this forum who's kidding who. Good times.

v78OcqA.jpg

3 hours ago, pressure said:

I value Greg's insite into guitar matters so when he suggested I get a dollie for my very heavy Mesa KingSnake i thought what the h*ll give it a try.

I went to Wal-Mart and asked if they had dollies and they directed me to an isle full of dollies, picked one out and bought it.

When I got home I attached the dollie to the KingSnake and surprise, surprise it didn't feel much lighter to me, maybe a bit lighter but not a big difference. I did notice the mids were much more haunting.

I think somebody's pulling my leg but its hard to tell on this forum who's kidding who. Good times.

v78OcqA.jpg

Not THAT dolly! 

THIS dolly...

20180318_155053.jpg

Did we reach any agreement yet?

Im a low gain guy, if I use overdrive. I always thought  was chasing a Marshall sound until I plugged an R8 into a DR and cranked it. Changed the whole direction of research/gas. Coulve saved a lot of money if I figured that out sooner.

On 3/16/2018 at 1:14 PM, JeffB said:

JTM45 head.

End of thread.

Whatcha got?

4 hours ago, JeffB said:

Im a low gain guy, if I use overdrive. I always thought  was chasing a Marshall sound until I plugged an R8 into a DR and cranked it. Changed the whole direction of research/gas. Coulve saved a lot of money if I figured that out sooner.

Low Gain?

I don't know what the best amp is, but I know the worst ones because I own them all.   Its painfully obvious that they are junk every time I plug into one.  The sound just sucks.   Personally, I can't figure out what the problem is.   I KNOW its not the guitar, since it doesn't make any difference which guitar I plug in.  Strat,   So it has to be the amp right?   There's nothing else left that could do that. 

Frankly,  I'm a bit baffled.

On 3/20/2018 at 2:00 PM, JeffB said:

That's a great combination. I played one of those for years. It liked my H-550

3746127815_264ba171d1_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2018 at 12:00 PM, JeffB said:

One day, a very good friend of mine who I refer to as "The Amp Whisperer" got together to compare our Deluxe Reverbs. Mine is a 1964, which he rebuilt for me, and his is a 1965. Well we both had our favorite Les Pauls plugged into our DRs. Soon as the volumes got above 7 on the dial the party began! It was one of my favorite days of noise making. Total balls out rocking machines when cranked. Although both of us yanked the stock speakers from our amps and replaced them with Weber Alnico 12A150 models that can take that kind of pummeling:) 

Here's the rig I brought to the party...

JCOvjgq.jpg

GWVD6rZ.jpg?2

Archived