Heritage Owners Club

Best amp ever

JeffB

I go back and forth with best amp ever so I guess I have no idea with the best amp is:) I know one thing I like the lower power amps the older I get. Every time we crank the big amps in my studio something invariably vibrates that I pick up in the recordings, so my favorite amps to record are my little '69 Fender Vibrochamp (fender clean), Dirty Girl "Reverb" (supro raunch), and my '61 Ampeg Mercury (stones/faces raunch).

Here are those little buggers....

9HH5B7a.jpg

aYXsddr.jpg

FUyMHKM.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Nice!

I'd love to crank a Deluxe Reverb, but I don't have the space to do so.

It ain't what you know...

48 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Very true....  I playing last night and thinking how'd I like to hear a good 'ol cranked tube amp again.

Summer is just around the corner!  :)

Some great amps featured here, and inevitably what's the "best" amp will be a personal thing. From my point of view, I have as good an amp as I could wish for with my 633 Drive King. It's versatile, great sounding and is the product of one man - Cliff Brown. Before setting up 633, Cliff was chief designer at Blackstar and before that chief designer at Soundcraft. As with any "boutique" product, an enjoyable part of the experience is the interaction with the builder and the personal service that goes with it. Every one of Cliff's amps will be tailored to the customer's needs.

Anyway, here he is putting  the Drive King through its paces...

• 2 weeks later...

While I believe I could point at any amp in my living room and make an argument for each being the best amp ever made, I find that I must approach the OP as a trick question, since one must also specify which music one wishes to play with said amp. In my case, my favorite jammin' music would be Judas Priest. With this much established I would therefore narrow down my initial answer to this one particular amp for playing exclusively my favorite style of music, followed of course by the obligatory microphone drop.

The factory hot-rodded Marshall JCM800 Kerry King signature model. >BOOM<

JCM800KK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, smokedtires said:

No such thing. So many different styles and tastes, everyone has a different favorite.

Not a professional recording, but straight into the amp, no pedals= RESPECT Would love to try one of these, probably my next amp.

https://binged.it/2rnvOTj

I used to sell Blackstars including the Artisan range. They were good sounding amps with no terrible reliability issues but a hard sell because they were made in Korea and at the time priced quite high compared to US and UK amps we sold. The Series One Blackstars were also great amps but priced too high to be successful. The HT series sold all day everyday, cheap and useful.

At the time you could get a comparable badcat, matchless or something similar for the same money. Artisan sales never took off because of that.

On 05/05/2018 at 6:10 PM, JeffB said:

I used to sell Blackstars including the Artisan range. They were good sounding amps with no terrible reliability issues but a hard sell because they were made in Korea and at the time priced quite high compared to US and UK amps we sold. The Series One Blackstars were also great amps but priced too high to be successful. The HT series sold all day everyday, cheap and useful.

At the time you could get a comparable badcat, matchless or something similar for the same money. Artisan sales never took off because of that.

Cliff Brown, the man who designs and builds 633 amps, was the chief designer at Blackstar before he left to set up 633...

Archived