Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Used Market Observation

Budha

These are just the ramblings and casual observations of a new member of Heritage owners & lovers.

A couple of months ago I bought my first Heritage guitar.  I had no idea of the state of transition the company was in when I purchased my H-535.  I just knew the H-535 was what I decided I wanted to buy.  I explored all of the usual online resources for my H-535 (Gbase, Reverb, Ebay...) and then decided to buy a new pre-Plaza (not knowing there was such a thing as "pre-Plaza").  Fast forward a few weeks and I find Heritage is in turmoil and I am wondering how all of this will affect the Heritage guitar market.  So I have been watching the used H-535 market online.  It appears in my observations used Heritage guitars in general are selling at a much faster pace for more money than they were when I was shopping for mine.  The street prices of new H-535's in inventory has also been increased in the last few weeks.

i suppose it's a silver lining that those with Heritage in the stable may see the worth increase, at least in the short term. I've no intent of ever realizing any gains, however. Just means I have to be that much more careful when gigging, that it doesn't leave my sight.

Stands to reason that any of the solid wood archtops / hollow bodies in particular may escalate. I don't know about the Millie's as much, seeing that the general buying public isn't sure what they are. 

If the price of new ones escalates, people will ask more for the used ones. But that has already happened over the last 5 years or so, the price of Heritages went up hundreds of dollars, and the used market followed suit.

I think where the help for the used market will come from could be from an influx of new interest because of larger scale marketing.  With more interest the prices will climb.

I think that 'pre-whatever" Heritage guitars will definitely increase in value, bit time too.

There are parallels with Hamer here. When I purchased my Heritage H150 I instantly thought of old Hamer guitars, the Made In USA ones; both (handmade) Made In USA, same extremely high quality, both made by supreme craftmen (the Heritage crew & Joel Dantzig) who made a point of doing the very best they could, basically among the very best guitars  ever made.

The parallels end there unfortunately because Heritage never had a proper big name/endorser who played any of their guitars for a prolonged period of time, unlike Hamer with Rick Nielsen, Steve Stevens, Martin Barre and a host of other notable players who could be seen with an Hamer on stage (and in the studio) for years.

Again, Mr. Dantzig also sold Hamer and as a consequence production was transferred to the Far East with the results we're all aware of. Now Made In The USA Hamer's are worth a lot of money, if you can find one, and due to scarcity and, last but not least supreme quality, prices of second hand Hamer's can only increase.

So I strongly believe that, not to Hamer levels, nevertheless "Made In Parsons Street Under The Old management" Heritage guitars will definitely increase in value.

.... I guess that means that my kids will get a windfall.   I'm not planning to sell anything.   

I have seen prices increase significantly over the past 5 years.  That's probably a good thing on the used market for sellers.   Not so friendly for those of us who just buy to play 'em.  I'm not a "collector" with guitars sitting in closets or on display in nice shadow boxes.   Mine come out and get play time, then get rotated back when my mood changes.   

58 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

.... I guess that means that my kids will get a windfall.   I'm not planning to sell anything.   

I have seen prices increase significantly over the past 5 years.  That's probably a good thing on the used market for sellers.   Not so friendly for those of us who just buy to play 'em.  I'm not a "collector" with guitars sitting in closets or on display in nice shadow boxes.   Mine come out and get play time, then get rotated back when my mood changes.   

What do you mean your not selling anything soon? That wasn't my understanding when you said you were retiring. You gotta have some cash for all that golf you will be playing. And by the way you could "Will" them to me since your kids don't play guitar!

Two words will determine market price on everything under the sun, my good Heritage fans:  Supply and Demand.

One of these is not changing anytime soon as far as I can tell, therefore it's all on the other...

IMHO, no amount of supposition, assumption, theorization, speculation, wishing or cerebration will change these hard, cold facts.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

YMMV

I would be very interested to hear from the dealers about the used and new market.  I don't find that much, if anything, has changed since I began buying Heritage guitars in March of 2017.  The senior members here were complaining that the days of the $1100 H-535 were over, which is certainly true - try finding an excellent condition 535 for even $1500.  And the Millies continue to not sell, except to people who already have one (or more) and know how incredible they are.

I bought the one I'm holding in the avatar for $1425 on March 6, 2013 (let you guys figure out why I'd by that kind of guitar on that day).  Ultra top, HRW pups, and a bound headstock.  Sold it to a friend when I was in some financial straights for $1700 in 2015.  It was a monster guitar, and I have the option of buying it back.  But my buddy truly loves it, and I can't bear to separate him from it.  The reason I haven't bought another 535 is because I can't find one with those options for that price.  Plus (speaking of Hamer), Mike Shishkov of Hamer started his own company, and I bought a custom-made guitar from him.  That guitar kills.  But to the OP's point, I think there is some evidence of at least the semi-hollows and hollow bodies being a little more as of late.  

For now, I have a 335 Studio (one with 4 knobs) that scratches the hollow body itch, but guess I'm in the minority that is kind of interested in where Heritage is going and can see someday owning another 535 or 555. 

I think the future price of "Pre take over" guitars will have a lot to do with the quality of the new ones. If they are junk the used ones will go up. If they're better and not to overly priced the used market may not go up that much. IMO. 

Archived