Heritage Owners Club

Pedal that makes a 6- string sound like a 12-string

koula901

I'm getting together with friends soon to jam, and there's only 1 song that needs a 12-string sound, but I'm not about to buy a 12 string just so I can play it on one song.  I was wondering if anybody knows if there's a pedal out there that makes your 6 sound like a 12.

7 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

For some reason I thought you could tweak a chorus pedal to get you there.

that would work for the high strings, but then you're not getting the octaves in the lower strings.

4 hours ago, koula901 said:

that would work for the high strings, but then you're not getting the octaves in the lower strings.

Wouldn’t the low octave be just the normal strings and the high octaves the sound of a twelve?  I’m just guessing here.

15 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Wouldn’t the low octave be just the normal strings and the high octaves the sound of a twelve?  I’m just guessing here.

A chorus pedal set up and used in a certain can certainly give you a slight impression of a twelve strings, which is very cool but that's about it, it will just be a "slight impression", and that also varies from brand to brand.

On one pedalboard I have an old 80's Ibanez CS9 and that pedal does actually get you closer to the "12 string" ballpark than for example an MXR Micro Chorus, which is what I have on another pedalboard that I use for bigger gigs and recording purposes. It's hard to believe how pedals of the same type from two different brands can sound so different; they're both chorus pedals ok, but the old Ibanez sounds much "gentler" than the MXR, which is way thicker and just.....different.

As soon as I got hold of a Digitech Mosaic however it was all over, from "Turn, Turn, Turn" to "Stairway To Heaven" and everything else in between those sounds were all there; while it cannot 100% substitute a real 12 string (which is apparent when you compare the Mosaic back-to-back with the real thing ) it's so damn close I'm more than happy to use it live and in the studio!

So now I have the Ibanez CS9 on my "fly gig" small pedalboard and the Digitech Mosaic next to the MXR Micro Chorus on my bigger pedalboard, and when I have the Digitech and the MXR both on at the same time...man, it still sounds gutsy but...celestial!

On 4/17/2018 at 11:35 AM, Genericmusic said:

I was going to suggest an Octave effect pedal. 

Yeah, I don't think the Octave pedal will quite do the trick.  

On 4/16/2018 at 11:01 AM, DetroitBlues said:

Congrats!  I hope it will work perfect for your needs!

It didn't.  When I pressed down the button, it didn't stay down, I'm mailing it back out tomorrow and may look for another one.

But thanks for the sentiment.

19 hours ago, koula901 said:

It didn't.  When I pressed down the button, it didn't stay down, I'm mailing it back out tomorrow and may look for another one.

But thanks for the sentiment.

Well, what about one of those Boss Acoustic simulator pedals?

8 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Well, what about one of those Boss Acoustic simulator pedals?

I don't know what those are like, I'm happy enough with what the mosaic sounds like.

15 hours ago, koula901 said:

I don't know what those are like, I'm happy enough with what the mosaic sounds like.

Yes, I've tried a Boss Acoustic simulator and it's ok but the Digitech Mosaic (if it can be called that, lol!) it's the real thing. Honest.

Archived