Heritage Owners Club

Mesa Boogie Subway Series... opinions?

1 hour ago, kidsmoke said:

I'm wrong. Turns out he's playing a Rocket 44, which is a bigger combo from the Subway series. Definitely something in that circuit hits his sweet spot. 

Its in the same series as the Subway.  Just a bigger/louder version.

I love my Quilter, just wanted another amp that is grab n' go.  Mostly for redundancy.

On 4/22/2018 at 10:50 AM, JeffB said:

A friend has a Subway Rocket. 20w.

Its definitely a Mesa. I borrowed it for a couple of gigs about 6yrs ago. It could get angrier than I thought it would, which was okay in the context I was using it in. I like the Express's more. Can you play it before you trade?

Yes, I'm going to play it Saturday.  I'm meeting up with a guy to try it out.  I have a built in 110v AC outlet in my truck.  I'm going to plug the amp in there and see how it sounds.  Hopefully I don't blow a fuse!

5 hours ago, kidsmoke said:

Nigel Price...diggin' it.

Apparently there is something in the Boogie ethos that works for him. In this vid with his trio, he's using a Boogie that looks to be either an F30 or something from the Dual Caliber series.

I see this same rig (Guitar and amp) in a few vids

Glad you like Nigel - a great player and a really nice guy. I asked him about using the Mesa and he said he likes a clean sound with a bit of grit to it. Earlier this year and in 2017 we'd booked the great Jim Mullen to play at our Jazz Steps gig in Nottingham, and on both occasions Jim was unable play through illness. Nigel did a sterling job depping for Jim both times.

If you're not familiar with Jim, here he is talking and playing...

Archived