Heritage Owners Club

Love the sound of this combo from the 50's

Oh, yeah! Love the classic sound.

I may be so bold to claim my 150 with ThroBak SLE101s through my 5E3 brings me 93 to 96 percent there. I left a trail of a dozen Lesters to get in this ballpark. I even think I could live happily ever keeping the cash difference for the compromise.

But that won't stop the swooning and drool.

4 hours ago, RJLII said:

I can get similar tones with my R6 through my Victoria Regal II.

Do not doubt this for one second!  Been pulling this particular video up once in a while for over a year.  Joey's a wonderful player!  And that combo is just delicious!  An awful lot of money, no doubt, and that tone can be had elsewhere, for sure.  But, if you're a dyed-in-the-wool aficionado, there is something to be said for "participating" in the life of a terrific vintage piece.  I have a particularly swell custom shop R7 Goldtop, and I'm lucky enough to have a pair of vintage PAF's in it.  Plugging that (them!) in anytime is a bona fide thrill!  Ask the guys who did it at the last PSP.

4 hours ago, yoslate said:

Do not doubt this for one second!  Been pulling this particular video up once in a while for over a year.  Joey's a wonderful player!  And that combo is just delicious!  An awful lot of money, no doubt, and that tone can be had elsewhere, for sure.  But, if you're a dyed-in-the-wool aficionado, there is something to be said for "participating" in the life of a terrific vintage piece.  I have a particularly swell custom shop R7 Goldtop, and I'm lucky enough to have a pair of vintage PAF's in it.  Plugging that (them!) in anytime is a bona fide thrill!  Ask the guys who did it at the last PSP.

Yeah,   I remember that thing.    Looked a little worn around the edges, if I remember correctly. Not nice and shiny at all.  Brent was kind enough to snap a shot of it!

image.png.ae86ed0faf26454a29dd41e50c1e84e4.png

16 hours ago, RJLII said:

Looks like the hang tag says $125,000. Nice, but not that nice.

I can get similar tones with my R6 through my Victoria Regal II.

I know that tone well as I was playing my R6 through my Regal II last night:) Is as good as that '58 and that 52' Deluxe in that video? Well I guess you need to bust out the video camera and record yourself playing some cool licks:)

I can guarantee you, give me that guitar, that amp and his talent .... and I could get .......... nowhere near that tone or feeling. What a great vid!

And Robbo's R7 GT? ... who needs a $25k old worn out Gibs, when you can get a new one that looks just as old and worn out? And sounds every bit as good! That was (is) a killer gitter, right there. 

Was he using an open e tuning or what?

I assume he could get that tone out of a newer guitar and amp. He always sounds like that.

I'll buy the first round for the person that knows what song he is playing when he on the neck pup.  It is a really cool composition, that's for sure. 

For what it's worth I have this same amp, 1962 Brown Deluxe.  This is the amp The Rev Billy Gibbons recorded the first ZZ Top albums with (cranked to 10 so more gain than this video).

• 1 month later...

The song is How Great Thou Art.

On 4/25/2018 at 11:42 PM, Yooper said:

Oh, yeah! Love the classic sound.

I may be so bold to claim my 150 with ThroBak SLE101s through my 5E3 brings me 93 to 96 percent there. I left a trail of a dozen Lesters to get in this ballpark. I even think I could live happily ever keeping the cash difference for the compromise.

But that won't stop the swooning and drool.

Just think about if you were running SD 59's in that 150 how great it would sound!!

40 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

Just think about if you were running SD 59's in that 150 how great it would sound!!

I did. And they sounded great. I just happen to like the ThroBaks more. I'm an un-potted A2 fan.

On 6/3/2018 at 11:52 AM, Yooper said:

I did. And they sounded great. I just happen to like the ThroBaks more. I'm an un-potted A2 fan.

un "potted", hmmm, I kind of doubt that LOL !

1 hour ago, Yooper said:

Sounds like someone had a liquid lunch. ;)

If you did, your a better man than me. I gotta go to the Gate today, and straight!

I kinda like that "other" Landreth guy from Louisiana better!

• 5 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 4:10 PM, ElNumero said:

I have SD 59's in my 555 - it sounds lovely.

What a player. Beautiful tone. 

There's a Jeff Beck gig on you tube where he's playing a rockabilly set and he changes guitar a lot. You can see a load of small vintage amps in the back ground, probably one for each guitar he uses, but fabulous tone every time his hands touch the guitar.

Archived