Heritage Owners Club

Tasty Amps,

56 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Went to check on my Jet City Amp to see if it’s been used or gaining any interest at Berkeley Music...

they had a 1962 Brownface Princeton and a 1966 Deluxe Reverb.

oh man, were they pretty!

sorry no pics...

I used to gig a 1962 Brownface Princeton with a 12" altec speaker that was FANTASTIC! I traded it away because I was young and ridiculously foolish!

ooooohhhh, a 66 Deluxe? Where was this?

that's my vintage. 

On 4/28/2018 at 10:44 PM, rockabilly69 said:

I used to gig a 1962 Brownface Princeton with a 12" altec speaker that was FANTASTIC! I traded it away because I was young and ridiculously foolish!

sounds like that start of another thread entirely.

fill in the blank:

______________ because I was young and ridiculously foolish!

could go on for days.

6 minutes ago, kidsmoke said:

that's my vintage. 

fill in the blank:

could go on for days.

First time I got married when I was 21....

Tasty amp? Never tasted one before. I did, however, have the business end of a speaker cable come flying across the room and take out a chunk of a tooth, once. Tasted that. 

Amps gone that shouldn't? Some may argue, but a '74 Twin Reverb. And it's big brother a '74 Dual Showman with JBL D130-15 speakers. Other than that .... ?

5 hours ago, kidsmoke said:

that's my vintage. 

fill in the blank:

could go on for days.

The guy that I traded that amp to was the same guy that introduced me to Gibson L5s guitars as he tested my little Princeton out with his L5s. So even though he took me on that trade (for a 100 watt Acoustic 134), I learned that I like L5s guitars, they make a great compliment to my Les Pauls when I record and they play so damn slinky like.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 74 twin with EV SRO coffee cans I would sell. However getting it shipped from Montana to anywhere makes it cost prohibitive .

After owning everything from vintage Plexi, to vintage blackface, to boutique, I finally acquired an amp that's nothing but dessert!  My good friend and amp guru Dale Laslie Frankensteined a mid-Fifties Bogen PA amp into a '57 Tweed low-power Twin circuit.  Oh Boy!! 

Since we're talking tasty treats, these are my unique sweeties.

This Silverface with a '67 Jensen was reconditioned by Dean Zink "like Leo would do it".  It looks like it fell off the Grateful Dead's truck on their Europe '72 tour. 

JO1USkYh.jpg

Here's a one-of-a-kind 5E3 Tweed-in-disguise:

I9wRhz6h.jpg

Well, speaking of tasty...... I chew on these ALL DAY LONG!!!

1962 Brownface Vibrolux (Sweet Molasses)

rOjN2L9.jpg

1963 Brownface Deluxe (Gristly)

i0N6FfU.jpg Not my pool.....

1966 Blackface Vibrolux Reverb (Fatty) and 1967 Blackface Deluxe Reverb (Juicy)  - The JBL is out of the Deluxe Reverb...

RWNqujy.jpg

Care to guess which one gets "chewed" the most ?????

6 minutes ago, Kuz said:

rOjN2L9.jpg

1966 Blackface Vibrolux Reverb (Fatty) and 1967 Blackface Deluxe Reverb (Juicy)  - The JBL is out of the Deluxe Reverb...

RWNqujy.jpg

NOW we're talkin'!

5 hours ago, Yooper said:

Since we're talking tasty treats, these are my unique sweeties.

This Silverface with a '67 Jensen was reconditioned by Dean Zink "like Leo would do it".  It looks like it fell off the Grateful Dead's truck on their Europe '72 tour. 

JO1USkYh.jpg

Here's a one-of-a-kind 5E3 Tweed-in-disguise:

I9wRhz6h.jpg

And why did you have to absolutely RUIN the grille cloth on that Deluxe?!

2 hours ago, ElNumero said:

And why did you have to absolutely RUIN the grille cloth on that Deluxe?!

I think I improved it.

OIzlZajh.jpg

21 hours ago, Kuz said:

rOjN2L9.jpg

RWNqujy.jpg

I like your handsome amplifiers.

I dont know, either the 67 or the 62 but I cant tell by looking

2 hours ago, JeffB said:

I like your handsome amplifiers.

I dont know, either the 67 or the 62 but I cant tell by looking

The Blackface Vibrolux Reverb is the one I play through the most.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 1:54 PM, Gitfiddler said:

I totally understand, Yoop.  Champ II's are true 'under-the-radar' tone monster amps.

Tim,

I finally got around to replacing the speaker.

Vaughn at Warehouse Guitar Speakers recommends a WGS G10C for the Champ II. He had their $200 alnico in his Champ II, but now has the G10C ceramic in it. For less than half the cash, I really love the G10C.

It sounded good before, but now it's incredible! It went from a Princeton range to close to a Deluxe Reverb in fullness. Even the higher gain sounds smoother and louder.

I'm taking it to an outdoor weekend-long party gig later this month. Nothing like making a good amp a lot better. 

2 hours ago, Yooper said:

Tim,

I finally got around to replacing the speaker.

Vaughn at Warehouse Guitar Speakers recommends a WGS G10C for the Champ II. He had their $200 alnico in his Champ II, but now has the G10C ceramic in it. For less than half the cash, I really love the G10C.

It sounded good before, but now it's incredible! It went from a Princeton range to close to a Deluxe Reverb in fullness. Even the higher gain sounds smoother and louder.

I'm taking it to an outdoor weekend-long party gig later this month. Nothing like making a good amp a lot better. 

Warehouse speakers and their customer service both have a great reputation.  Glad you found a good match for your "C2" amp.  I assume you'll be miking yours this weekend? 

I connect my Champ II's or Super Champs to a 12" ext. cabinet when playing out.  That really brings out the best from these 18 watt fire breathers.  Some Rivera era amp fans use a 4x12 to get even more from these little guys.

2 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

I assume you'll be miking yours this weekend? 

I connect my Champ II's or Super Champs to a 12" ext. cabinet when playing out.  That really brings out the best from these 18 watt fire breathers.  Some Rivera era amp fans use a 4x12 to get even more from these little guys.

Yes, it will be mic'ed, but it now has a lot more punch. No need to "break it in", it's already way beyond the stock speaker. I made a short reference recording as soon as I put it in. It'll be interesting to hear how it develops over time.

A 12" is the next step, but it really woke up with the WGS. It's a kickin' little grab-and-go jammer. 

I happen to have a 4x12, but it's 4 ohms. Darn. That would be a blast.

Archived