Heritage Owners Club

Joyann Parker on an H-150

FredZepp

Not feeling this girl on guitar, with my biggest complaint being that while soloing she seems to forget to lock into the rhythm along with the volume and tone of her band mates, they have this laid back grooving sound that has no chance of blending with that washed out reverb of her solos. The poor guy on the ES335 is getting totally blown out with no blend. But I REALLY like the tone of her voice, the way she's digging deep for her vocal . Actually I wish she played more like the way she sings if that makes sense. 

While she's not quite a guitar legend, this lady has a richness of soul, matched only by her taste in guitars. She is our sister. 

19 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Not feeling this girl on guitar, with my biggest complaint being that while soloing she seems to forget to lock into the rhythm along with the volume and tone of her band mates, they have this laid back grooving sound that has no chance of blending with that washed out reverb of her solos. The poor guy on the ES335 is getting totally blown out with no blend. But I REALLY like the tone of her voice, the way she's digging deep for her vocal . Actually I wish she played more like the way she sings if that makes sense. 

I think the balance was way off.  Her voice was ok, as was her playing... but the mix with the rest of the band was not good.

There are some other videos of hers that are probably better produced, this one doesn't seem like a high dollar video production. But this one had her soulful singing and yeah.. she plays a Heritage while singing then takes a solo.  I love how she's just right out front doing it live,  no super production going on behind her to hide behind.  And a lot of the time when you see a gal do a guitar solo after some bluesy singing like that, it will have a bunch of screaming overdrive going.  She just got out there with a cleaner  sound and let you hear it , no big production going on.  Sitting in that club , I would have dug this live.  

I give Joyann Parker high marks for putting herself out there in full view, playing and singing her heart out...and supporting the Heritage brand is an added plus in my view.

It takes guts to perform live, facing a world of critics, guitarists and more.  With current social media, millions of viewers will see her.  She's doing what many of us would love to do.  Sure there are better performers out there.  But there are thousands more wishing they were as good as Joyann. 

Give her some time to hone her skills, tighten up her chops and pay some dues.  That's what makes a great artist.  If she sticks to her calling, I bet we'll hear great things about Joyann Parker down the road.

15 hours ago, FredZepp said:

There are some other videos of hers that are probably better produced, this one doesn't seem like a high dollar video production. But this one had her soulful singing and yeah.. she plays a Heritage while singing then takes a solo.  I love how she's just right out front doing it live,  no super production going on behind her to hide behind.  And a lot of the time when you see a gal do a guitar solo after some bluesy singing like that, it will have a bunch of screaming overdrive going.  She just got out there with a cleaner  sound and let you hear it , no big production going on.  Sitting in that club , I would have dug this live.  

13 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

I give Joyann Parker high marks for putting herself out there in full view, playing and singing her heart out...and supporting the Heritage brand is an added plus in my view.

It takes guts to perform live, facing a world of critics, guitarists and more.  With current social media, millions of viewers will see her.  She's doing what many of us would love to do.  Sure there are better performers out there.  But there are thousands more wishing they were as good as Joyann. 

Give her some time to hone her skills, tighten up her chops and pay some dues.  That's what makes a great artist.  If she sticks to her calling, I bet we'll hear great things about Joyann Parker down the road.

13 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Kudos guys for throwing out some kudos. As a singer first I totally dig where she is coming from, TOTALLY!  Add that she play guitar while singing is a major plus AND she is out there living it.  There is not a single musician without a perceived weakness, trying to point that out is pointless and  unnecessarily critical.

I will say this, I see the beauty in what shes doing!

2 hours ago, fxdx99 said:

Admittedly, due to geography and circumstance, I'm somewhat biased.  But dang, she's soulful.  Nice intro here...

http://www.startribune.com/this-midlife-newcomer-is-the-next-great-twin-cities-blues-singer/479532953/

Yes... nice intro to her, indeed..

"Joyann Parker is the best Twin Cities female singer you’ve never heard.

Imagine a sober Janis Joplin. And that’s a good thing. Imagine a taller Shemekia Copeland without the my-dad-was-a-blues-star pedigree. And that’s a really good thing.

There’s pain in Parker’s heart — and in just about every song she writes and sings. And, onstage, the grimace on her face, the clenched fists and the ache in her roar let listeners know that she knows hurt.

“We play rhythm and blues,” Parker recently told an audience between songs in the Mudd Room in Mendota Heights. “Sometimes we’re more blues, sometimes more rhythm.”

Whatever she plays, Parker owns it. Not bad for a classically trained pianist and married mother of two grade-school kids from Andover who just discovered the blues — the music, that is — nearly five years ago.

“Some of the unhappiness comes from me. Bad relationships in the past. I struggled with anxiety and depression. I’ve been in dark places,” she confided over tea before going to pick up her 10-year-old and 7-year-old at different schools. “I’m a storyteller. I gather stories as I go. I’m an empathetic person. I’m a good listener.”

She's good at belting out the blues.   There's no doubt about that.

Hey,  wait a minute!

I played with that dude on the guitar with Joyann!   That's Zack the Heritage intern from last summers HOC.    He missing the Bigsby but not the American Flag strap!

19 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

Hey,  wait a minute!

I played with that dude on the guitar with Joyann!   That's Zack the Heritage intern from last summers HOC.    He missing the Bigsby but not the American Flag strap

Ha - small world, Rich!

23 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

She's good at belting out the blues.   There's no doubt about that.

Hey,  wait a minute!

I played with that dude on the guitar with Joyann!   That's Zack the Heritage intern from last summers HOC.    He missing the Bigsby but not the American Flag strap!

Ha... that's cool.   You guys did a great job and the soundboard recording is nice. 

thanks for sharing those videos

I partly agree on Joyann not being my kind of singer/player but she does it and genuinely too, thus yes I like her

she makes me want to play :-)

I probably should just bite my lip..... but her playing, singing, and even the band is very average/mediocre.   

I can think of at least 4 HOC members bands that are WAY better, like 10x better.  

But it's just my .02

Of course, my motivation for posting this here was give a Heritage artist a bit of exposure .   Maybe she or the band are likely members here or will stop by the HOC one day.  So I wanted to offer my support for the band. 

Obviously , I dig her voice and the tunes they are playing and I still support the Heritage brand. 

1 hour ago, Millennium Maestro said:

You only took 2 down hits... (Not from me)   LOL  Your still a good guy!

Yea, I am learning that speaking openly & freely here can sometimes be labeled as "bashing" or "negative"..... I just thought we all were allowed to offer an opinion on a forum site.   I never said anyone had to ever agree with me. 

4 hours ago, Kuz said:

Yea, I am learning that speaking openly & freely here can sometimes be labeled as "bashing" or "negative"..... I just thought we all were allowed to offer an opinion on a forum site.   I never said anyone had to ever agree with me. 

Everyone should appreciate an honest opinion, but you gotta' admit it was a teeny bit negative.  Though I'm not sure it deserves major down votes.

Kuz, you keep being real too, please.

Archived