Heritage Owners Club

Joyann Parker on an H-150

FredZepp

Thought Joyann might join Minni to Kzoo this year, being a Heritage fan, a heck of a nice person and super talented (I think).  But the reception a wee bit cool... albeit open and free.  (sigh)

Thanks for posting, tho, Fred.  Appreciate the effort calling attention to fellow Heritage players making a go at it.  Myself, well I vehemently (and openly and freely) disagree with some of the opinions and find it... odd, really, that we'd place a... what.. competitive arc on shared performances?  Kinda think a face to face wouldn't have such a discourse.

But more a 'Golden Rule' kinda outlook here, tho, so different approach is all. 

Personally,  I am digging her vocals.   I've pulled up quite a few of her videos, and she's got a great, smooth voice.    Envy is a really good tune!

It a way, she reminds me of a young Susan Tedeschi.    She was good on her own, but once she hooked up with Derek and assembled a stellar band behind her, she really took off.   Its all about playing to your strengths.  

2 hours ago, fxdx99 said:

2018-05-23 08_21_17-Presentation1 - PowerPoint.png

Fair post, Randy

Sorry if I came across overly dorkish.

Im not really feeling any music lately, maybe my post understated what I meant because of my disconnect with music.

I can still recognize honest music. I like that Joyanns music is stripped down the way it is. No crap to wade through.

On 5/16/2018 at 5:05 AM, JeffB said:

Sounds good. I like her playing style and sounds, all seems about right, authentic and honest. Good vibrato.

Well... didn't take it as such, but if it is then that's my kind of dorkish,.  I'd take that any day of the week, Jeff!  :)

Sorry, overkill on trying to make a point I suppose.  Oh well.

12 hours ago, fxdx99 said:

On 5/22/2018 at 11:15 PM, fxdx99 said:

Thought Joyann might join Minni to Kzoo this year, being a Heritage fan, a heck of a nice person and super talented (I think).  But the reception a wee bit cool... albeit open and free.  (sigh)

Thanks for posting, tho, Fred.  Appreciate the effort calling attention to fellow Heritage players making a go at it.  Myself, well I vehemently (and openly and freely) disagree with some of the opinions and find it... odd, really, that we'd place a... what.. competitive arc on shared performances?  Kinda think a face to face wouldn't have such a discourse.

But more a 'Golden Rule' kinda outlook here, tho, so different approach is all. 

Randy, I am truly sorry and again meant no risrespect. 

Honestly, your band was one of several bands that leaped to mind that was a lot better than her's.   

I just assumed this being an "discussion forum" we could voice our honest reviews, critiques, and opinions.  I meant no disrespect nor to be negative or offensive.   I went and watched many of her other You Tube videos and it didn't change my mind.   She and her band just don't do it for me.  To me, her voice sounds forced & strained and the band is not exceptional.  I don't like the offerings from Samantha Fish, or Orianthi either.  Now Bonnie Raitt, Patty Griffith,  Patty Larkin, Allison Krauss, and Nanci Grifith are among some of my favorite singers/guitarists of any gender.

I have posted videos of other artist I like and some HOC members loved them & others offered their differing opinions (and I was fine with that).   Again, I was only posting my opinions and didn't think it was a big deal because it was only my thoughts.

If everyone agreed here on HOC about everything, I would think it would be a boring place.  

In the future if I can't agree with someone's post, I won't type anything else to the contrary or offer my opinions.   BTW, I hope you and the band are doing well.  I would love to see you in person again.  

8 hours ago, Kuz said:

I just assumed this being an "discussion forum" we could voice our honest reviews, critiques, and opinions.    She and her band just don't do it for me.  To me, her voice sounds forced & strained and the band is not exceptional.

I have posted videos of other artist I like and some HOC members loved them & others offered their differing opinions (and I was fine with that).   Again, I was only posting my opinions and didn't think it was a big deal because it was only my thoughts.

If everyone agreed here on HOC about everything, I would think it would be a boring place.  

In the future if I can't agree with someone's post, I won't type anything else to the contrary or offer my opinions.   BTW, I hope you and the band are doing well.  I would love to see you in person again.  

Hi John!  Hey buddy, I hope to see u in person soon as well - has been too long.

Yeh, I get (think I do) what you're saying.  Debate, discussion, opinions - I'm with ya!  We should have at it. 

Here's my (and only my) perspective on this thread.  Sharing an opinion on a national/international artist like 'I think Clapton's overrated' (I don't, but I'm guessing you can relate :) ) is (to me) one kind of 'category'.  An artist at a high level of visibility, reached some level of success gets plenty of critical debate. 

And then a second category is sharing an opinion on a less known artist such as a forum member's music/vid/offering.  It seems (to me) that we collectively recalibrate our responses between the 2.  Granted, I've not been as active on boards so very likely it's my own perspective that needs a checkup.  But I don't recall the collective us as being quite so critical in our responses to the 'lesser known' artists.

So surely don't stop offering opinions or debating a counter point.  Not saying that and hopefully not making ya mad at me.   I'm just suggesting 'in this case' we were a bit cool... perhaps at least cooler than if we were having a face to face with that person at PSP about someone's playing.  Or if you'd met the folks you're commenting on you'd maybe couch phrases a bit differently.  (hey, Minneapolis is a small town...  Heritage guitarists a small group... I'm just being a bit defensive is all).

Anyway - just so ya know... you're totally wrong about Clapton - he deserves all the accolades he gets  :) 

Sounds too much like Harmony Central...

"My guitar has 8 strings so it kills anything you have"  :bootyshake:

I am not mad at anybody.  Like I said before, I have posted several of my own recordings and got very direct criticism (some that  I thought was warranted and really opened my eyes to some of my deficits making me strive to improve and other critiques that I just disagreed with).   BUT I was never offended by others comments.   I have posted some recordings of lesser known artists and some people said they liked it or some said that they really didn't like it.  Again, not offended that was THEIR opinion. 

I will say that lately this forum seems to be more testy.  If you question the new ownership direction and or why they let people go, then you are labeled as "negative", "bashing", or "short sighted".  

If we have to agree with everything posted, then this is not a "discussion" forum.   I thought that was what "forums" were intended for.

I don't know what the "rules" or "unwritten rules" are on commenting on someone's post.  I don't know what the minimum record sales need to be of an artist before we can offer a different opinion.   Can honestly tell Josh how I think his Tele sounds or should I just give the token "It sounds great".  I know I would prefer an honest opinion.  (The Bridge sounded INCREDIBLE but I would prefer a little more single coil quack in the middle position if it were my guitar.  But it isn't my guitar so why should he be offend by my response?)

Bottom line,  I am NOT trying to make this Harmony Central.   But I thought it was a group of grown ups having a discussion. 

But now with FOUR negative like votes on this thread alone when I just spoke my mind (and I am sure I will get more negative likes from this post), from now on I will offer no opinion at all or give the obligatory golf clap (aka "sounds great").  

Sidebar:  I've never liked the anonymity of 'likes' and especially 'dislikes' on this new format.  Why not show who is liking or disliking?  Why have it at all?  Really.  Just state your case for all to view.  That way no one can hide behind a cute up or down arrow.  While the Jazz Guitar Forum is far from perfect, at least 'likes' show the identity of the party who gave it.  Conversely, there are no mechanisms on that forum to anonymously 'dislike' another's comment.  Any dissenting opinions must by written, thereby identifying oneself for all to view. 

Just as with face-to-face interactions, folks tend to be a bit more civil, self-editing and restrained when everyone knows who said what to whom.

Just sayin'...

6 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Sidebar:  I've never liked the anonymity of 'likes' and especially 'dislikes' on this new format.  Why not show who is liking or disliking?  Why have it at all?  Really.  Just state your case for all to view.  That way no one can hide behind a cute up or down arrow.  While the Jazz Guitar Forum is far from perfect, at least 'likes' show the identity of the party who gave it.  Conversely, there are no mechanisms on that forum to anonymously 'dislike' another's comment.  Any dissenting opinions must by written, thereby identifying oneself for all to view. 

Just as with face-to-face interactions, folks tend to be a bit more civil, self-editing and restrained when everyone knows who said what to whom.

Just sayin'...

I wouldn’t have a problem with the “Likes” section showing who liked or disliked a thread/response. Most every other forum I belong to operates in that fashion. And Jon, keep tellin’ us how you really feel! After all this is a forum, I like to hear differing opinions. 

I would assume that likes/dislikes are an efficient tool to measure the temperature, if you will.  You remove the anonymity and the tool is likely less efficient.  I've used them, but did not participate in these likes/dislikes.

Curious to opine protecting the sensitivity of a poster whose comment is debatably insensitive.

I'm not sure anonymity has curtailed debate or opinion in this current environment - you are all anonymous forum posters to me.  And, truthfully, I'm just adding this comment to boost post count and thereby my credibility in a future HOC.  YMMV.  LOL; I'm so FOS.

Seems like I’m missing a lot on this thread.

I think if she was just an HOC member, all of the opinions would be high accolades and encouragement to keep going.

I’ve learned my opinion of people changes when I actually know them and have a personal connection with them.

So I think we are being a bit unkind to her, myself included.   Anytime I think when we see an artist playing, we immediately draw comparisons to legendary performers.  When realistically, this is someone out there enjoying herself and exploring music in one of my favorite genres.

When that artist is personally known by our HOC family here, it makes a difference too.  We don’t want to offend each other nor those they know.

I’m just providing my perspective of the way this thread has gone.  What’s been said is said.  No more apologies needed.

This is the last post for me on this topic (and I am going to take a break from HOC.  If anyone wants to get a hold of me please PM me).

-I have received 7 dislikes on this topic (thread).  The Jazz Forum, The Gear Page, and Facebook you can see the identity of who "liked" you.  Some forums you can also see the identity of who "dislikes" you.  If this like/dislike is means of setting a "temperature" like Buzzy said, then what I surmise from 7 dislikes is that at least 7 people don't want to hear MY "feedback", "opinion", "discussions", "critiques" (I personally find this amazing because on the last two posts I was apologizing for stating my  personal opinion.  No one should ever have to apologize for giving honest feedback).

-I say OWN IT. OWN UP if you liked or disliked someone.  Whether it is real or not, the Likes/Dislikes are synonymous to your reputation and how others feel about you.  Don't hide behind a keyboard, OWN it and a quick reason why would be helpful to the original poster.

-FINALLY, this female artist is a national touring act.  Obviously her promoter has done a great job of setting up a nice tour for her.  If she hales from Minneapolis and is touring to OH, TN, MI, ect then I don't see why she wouldn't want some honest opinions of her act.  She not a HOC member posting her first home recording.  But despite the fact she is a national recording artist, I want to amend all my previous opinions of her and say "Sounds great".  

Everyone have a great  summer and keep strumming!!!

I showed the video from the original post to a friend a couple of days ago.  He loved it and saw she is playing in Cinti and immediately suggested going to see her.  ( He suggested taking the Centurion and getting a couple of pics of her with my Heritage... ha )   Her show is tonight..   it's free, a charity benefit.     I must say , I really like the video more and more... and am sorry that I'm unlikely to make it to her show tonight.  I have no doubt it will be excellent. 

THE CHAMELEON

FRI, MAY 25 @ 9:30PM 4114 Hamilton Avenue, Cincinnati, OH

9pm Doors, free show, bring donations for The Dragonfly Foundation.

In partnership with The Dragonfly Foundation, helping young cancer and bone marrow transplant patients (ages 0-30) and their families find strength and empower their flight. 

3 hours ago, Kuz said:

.... I am going to take a break from HOC.  2 HUGE THUMBS DOWN

-I have received 7 dislikes on this topic (thread).  SO... WHAT...

Sorry I opened a can of beans here, a few post dislikes is only a reflection someone has a differrent perspective... Don't be so sensitive, They carry no weight and heck I piss people off all the time, It is just who I am and I have no ill intentions.

We all face way more scrutiny with every facet of our musical choices and after all musicians are the most critical people...

Archived