Heritage Owners Club

Industry Staple Amps - Fender HRD - Marshall DSL40C?

I believe you will find many forums and YouTube channels when asked about an all around amp to use for gigging, recording, practicing, and all out jams, most of which will claim the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40 Watt, All tube amp) is the number 1 most recommend amp out there.

But in recent years, I cannot help but wonder if the Marshall DSL40C (now discontinued) is the next coming staple amp people will recommend?

There are many similarities between the two amps -

• Multiple Channels
  • Effects Loop
  • 40 Watts
  • 1x12 configuration
  • Foot-switchable
  • Good Clean and Dirty Tones
  • Pedal Friendly
  • Sub-$1000 mark - Affordable to almost anyone territory

and I'm sure many other features.

For those who have experienced such amps, what do you think?  Is the Marshall DSL40C another "staple" amp that can be used on multiple platforms in multiple situations to great effect?

I'm starting to see more people talk about the Marshall as an all around multipurpose amps for novices and pro's alike.

I had one, don't necessarily feel like I missed out by selling it, but I know I really liked its tone.

A vintage or reissue Blackface Deluxe Reverb or Blackface Vibrolux Reverb are (in my opinion) the perfect all around amps.  Perfect power level 22-38 watts.  Unquestionable the best cleans in history (sorry the DSL40C can't compete with Fender cleans).  The Fender clean headroom is a perfect platform for pedals.  I can use a light OD, or heavy Rat distortion and it sounds AMAZING.

So in summary,  the world's best cleans and a platform for an OD/Dist pedal-----> this equals the best all around "two channel" amp (clean & pedal OD/Dist dirty channels).

I don't know about the 40c,  but I've got the earlier DLS401.   Its ok, but to be honest,  I would be more comfortable with the Peavey Classic 30 compared to the DSL.   I think the cleans are more to my taste and can get pretty crunchy if you need it.     I have a harder time finding my sweet spot on the DSL.

Most of my playing these days has been on the BF Princeton clone.    Its great sounding.    I wouldn't hesitate to take it to any jam night.

Everyone I know who had an Hot Rod Deluxe has had issues with them. There's no way I'd swap my reconditioned Silverface DR for an HRD  or the Marshall, no matter what they say on forums and youtube.

The same is true for my rugged little Mesa 5:25 Express and Champ II. These rule in the grab and go 10" class.

I'm sure there are very decent amps available under 1k  on the market.  I'm just glad I don't have to look for them. 

15 minutes ago, Yooper said:

I'm sure there are very decent amps available under 1k  on the market.  I'm just glad I don't have to look for them. 

Boom!!! And this is the word & truth.  "Buy cheap, you buy twice"

The DSL50 with a 212 was my favourite venue supplied amp....when venues still supplied amps.

I preferred the DSL50 over the DSL100 and a 212 over a 412 with it. I always liked most JCM800's but the DSL50 was close enough, a bit smoother, and the clean channel was pretty great for a clean fender guy like me.

They were serious amps, from clean through to higher gain. No pedals needed, just fly in fly out with a guitar and a change of under pants. Country guys didnt mind them and hard rock acts didnt mind them.

Another sub 1k amp I can vouch for, though a bit older now and all that goes with that, is the Fender ConcertII. Mine still has red dust through it from mini tours I did in the 90's when gravel roads were the only roads to get to most of the places  we were going to.

That amp was mishandled, bounced around in the back of trailers, wagons and pickups for 1000s of kms, cranked in sweltering heat and cold nights and never once since 1986 when I bought it has it failed.
Down side is, no gain in the amp I like so pedals are fundamental to the od sounds.

Another amp I grew to like were the little VOX AC15's, I think maybe one of my favourite od sounds of all time. In the band I was in and the volumes we used I would only have an overdriven sound using one of these but it was a cool sound so I didnt care too much. They all seemed to get really warm to the touch though.
Some of the compression when cranked gave the feeling like the whole cab was going to split open or explode. I thought that was pretty cool.

If I had no gear today and had to gig to feed the family I would get a DSL50 and 212cab, a HSS strat............ or a 335 type guitar.....with a bigsby. Or maybe..

I would get the DSL50 and 212 cab for sure.

I might get one anyway. I just noticed theres 3 online for sale locally. Also theres a JTM45, which at one time was an industry standard, and should still be.

Damn. Ive got amp gas.:ph34r:

On 5/18/2018 at 2:28 PM, DetroitBlues said:

I believe you will find many forums and YouTube channels when asked about an all around amp to use for gigging, recording, practicing, and all out jams, most of which will claim the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40 Watt, All tube amp) is the number 1 most recommend amp out there.

But in recent years, I cannot help but wonder if the Marshall DSL40C (now discontinued) is the next coming staple amp people will recommend?

There are many similarities between the two amps -

• Multiple Channels
  • Effects Loop
  • 40 Watts
  • 1x12 configuration
  • Foot-switchable
  • Good Clean and Dirty Tones
  • Pedal Friendly
  • Sub-$1000 mark - Affordable to almost anyone territory

and I'm sure many other features.

For those who have experienced such amps, what do you think?  Is the Marshall DSL40C another "staple" amp that can be used on multiple platforms in multiple situations to great effect?

I'm starting to see more people talk about the Marshall as an all around multipurpose amps for novices and pro's alike.

I had one, don't necessarily feel like I missed out by selling it, but I know I really liked its tone.

I was going to save this for later, but I am actually waiting right now for the big white Fedex truck to deliver my DSL40C that I snagged from Sweetwater at their blowout price of $399 shipped. Pics, NAD post and tone report coming later on today!

2 hours ago, ElNumero said:

I was going to save this for later, but I am actually waiting right now for the big white Fedex truck to deliver my DSL40C that I snagged from Sweetwater at their blowout price of $399 shipped. Pics, NAD post and tone report coming later on today!

Friend of mine just purchased the same amp for the same deal.  It got me thinking about amps and versatility.   I know that many here enjoy boutique or vintage gear, but for the rest of us peasants there has to be something that is readily available and gig worthy.

HRD and DSL40C seem to be top contenders.

On 5/20/2018 at 3:58 AM, pressure said:

My take on this JeffB... Blah, blah, blah, CHANGE OF UNDER PANTS! And you call yourself a guitar player indeed.

I blah quite easily.

Im wavering on the whole "guitar player" thing.

Archived