Heritage Owners Club

NMAD

Well she came, and what a hefty box she was packed in! I could tell the Fedex driver was not too happy however he did have a cart to wheel it up in.  Plugged her in, powered her up, and connected my H-137 to her. So many tonal options for this amp. It does have a very nice clean channel, and its not tinny at all. The gain on this thing is monstrous. I haven't really dialed it in, got to go to the GATE, but I know I will be spending time with this baby. The quality of the build is very apparent also. How can you go wrong for $399 (and free 24 month financing)?

Marshall DS401C.jpg

51 minutes ago, Spectrum13 said:

lots of dials...looks cool. What tubes are in it?

Vacuum tubes I believe.......

4 ECC83 preamp

2 EL34 power

Personally, I like the Clean and Classic Gain channels. 

The classic gain reminds me of a bluesbreaker amp.

This is an amp that sounds best when turned up.

It has a triode mode, but I think it kills the tone.

Since the reverb is digital, it does get drowned out the higher the gain you use.  Definitely not a Fender like reverb.

Its a great amp I think, much better than the Haze series it replaced.

Also more reliable than the previous Dual-Super leads from years ago.

You're right Will, can't beat $399 for a 40watt all tube amp!

21 hours ago, ElNumero said:

The quality of the build is very apparent also. How can you go wrong for $399...?

I'll allow this question to stand as rhetorical. :)

I've only had one Marshall amp. Nothing wrong with it, but it just wasn't for me.

I get all the range I need from my Mesas and Fenders. I wouldn't turn down a nice AC15, though.

The bottom line is, if you like it, it's good. If it makes you want to play, it's good.

Congrats! bargain! Have fun

26 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I really should track down a DSL50 head. My TSL122 is simply too beastly.

There are still three for sale locally and I have the ads bookmarked. I check the ads 3-17 times a day.

I was kinda hoping I would be over this sort of thing.

5 hours ago, Yooper said:

I'll allow this question to stand as rhetorical. :)

I've only had one Marshall amp. Nothing wrong with it, but it just wasn't for me.

I get all the range I need from my Mesas and Fenders. I wouldn't turn down a nice AC15, though.

The bottom line is, if you like it, it's good. If it makes you want to play, it's good.

I get all the range I need also from the three Fender amps I have, the Peavey Delta Blues and Classic 50 (which I love) and my GA-40RVT. I know you are a hard core Mesa fan and that is fine. I would love to own a Boogie also (only if I could find a screaming deal on one). The preowned ones I have seen in shops are still way out of my price range. However, that said, investing in such a fine piece of equipment will pay dividends in terms of enjoyment for a lifetime, providing you hang on to it.  I always wanted to own a high gain amp such as a Marshall, one comes around that I can afford, (thus the how can you go wrong comment) and it indeed makes me want to play. It also has a distinctively different voice that I did not have in any of my other guitar amps. This is my first tube amp with EL34 power tubes. 

28 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

I get all the range I need also from the three Fender amps I have, the Peavey Delta Blues and Classic 50 (which I love) and my GA-40RVT. I know you are a hard core Mesa fan and that is fine. I would love to own a Boogie also (only if I could find a screaming deal on one). The preowned ones I have seen in shops are still way out of my price range. However, that said, investing in such a fine piece of equipment will pay dividends in terms of enjoyment for a lifetime, providing you hang on to it.  I always wanted to own a high gain amp such as a Marshall, one comes around that I can afford, (thus the how can you go wrong comment) and it indeed makes me want to play. It also has a distinctively different voice that I did not have in any of my other guitar amps. This is my first tube amp with EL34 power tubes. 

Justified.

Who am I to criticize? I love my Mustang III v. 2.  

54 minutes ago, Yooper said:

Justified.

Who am I to criticize? I love my Mustang III v. 2.  

And I still love my Peavey Bandit from 1995 !

I was out and about at the GC today, and they had TWO used  DSL40Cs on the floor.   One was a bit nicked up and was listed at $499, the other was $525.  Go figure...

Maybe you should have bought a half dozen and flipped them!

On 5/31/2018 at 7:34 PM, TalismanRich said:

I was out and about at the GC today, and they had TWO used  DSL40Cs on the floor.   One was a bit nicked up and was listed at $499, the other was $525.  Go figure...

Maybe you should have bought a half dozen and flipped them!

Funny you should say that but I don't think Marie would be happy about the inventory storage. Speaking of flipping though, last week I bought a NOS Shure V15vXMR phono cartridge (discontinued in 2005 and VERY MUCH in demand) for $750 on an Ebay auction and promptly listed it as a buy it now for $900 and it sold within 3 hours! 

Archived