Heritage Owners Club

Back in the saddle this week: H150 en route

deytookerjaabs

r7ar776vuwgjauqkgn2f.jpg

nikgdbzaukdhi348cfq6.jpg

Pulled this used 150 off reverb, I hate buying before trying but it is what it is and practically a necessity with Heritage. Watch next week a smokin' deal in Nashville for a used H150 appear from thin air!

I liked how it looked but also dig the possibility of the secret sauce:

rqe0st5j4fxriuzw59tb.jpg

Some patent stampers, thus from my real world experience I'm either in for "oh these have character" or "meh, pretty flat." Speed knobs will be swapped. 

Fingers crossed, it should arrive this week. 

Hasn't arrived yet, no clue about the control cavity, 2005 so short tenon (doesn't bug me in the least), 9.2 lbs the fella says, if it's anything like the majority of older h150's I've played I'll be happy. I was kind of hoping to get a late 80's antique cherry sunburst model to be honest because the one I used to have was wonderful (sold it on ebay more than a decade ago iirc) but I've been watching for some time, money comes money goes, and this one looked good enough for me though I didn't get a deal. Heck, there was one here that was a better price but sold before I got some dough. 

I also thought about getting a new one since they're "the best ever" but I like the older ones I've played enough to never feel like I was missing anything. I don't think there's a H150 I've picked up that I didn't prefer to the R0 I used have for whatever reason.

I've got a little vintage amp I'll be unloading at some point too so there'll be more in the reserve (hopefully) if a cool early build surfaces, that '89 I had was just a beaut. 

I'd also been going back and forth between putting more $$ down on a new or used Historic, after playing about 15 of them around town I realized I'd probably be just as happy with a Heritage (or getting my old tokai back...but the fella won't sell it!) even though I still would appreciate the aesthetic qualities of the big G. In fact, I took a chance on an Eastman SB59 that was heavily discounted to $750 but it's not quite what I was looking for so it's for sale, lol. 

Options are nice to have, but they can also be overwhelming, may the UPS man bless that hunk of wood. 

I'm excited about those stampers. When I bought my '69 ES340 last year (irreplaceable it is) I was praising how great the bridge pickup sounded, the shop guys said it was an era correct pat sticker pickup like the neck one, though not original. Liars, I bought a cover for it...cover didn't fit, then peeked under the hood to see it was a stamped model, those bastards! Greatest mistake ever :laugh_mini:     

1 hour ago, deytookerjaabs said:

Golden Era? 

I submit we call it the "Wolfe Era" since Jay practically invented the only decent models and was responsible for keeping the company afloat. :blum_mini:

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 1.27.22 PM.jpg

19 hours ago, deytookerjaabs said:

.  .  .  though I didn't get a deal  .  .  .

.  .  .  may the UPS man bless that hunk of wood. 

Congratulations!

If you bond with this one such that at some point it becomes THE guitar that you will never sell, then I'm sure you got a deal.  

Sure is a beauty in that picture.

Sweet 150 and those pickups could be a nice variable. 

It reminds me of my old VSB Classic with the mineral streaks and all.  That was a great Heritage, as I'm sure yours will be also.  

( I hadn't noticed that VSB is not currently offered.. interesting.. ) 

My VSB is similar. Here's a picture taken just after I got it (seven years ago) and had stripped it down for cleaning. I subsequently swapped the Schaller bridge and tailpiece for a Nashville set and the SD59s were replaced with a set of Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays. It's definitely a keeper!

P5210997 (1024x768).jpg

The UV fade on yours, wow, it's seen some sun, looks great! 

This guitar arrived a PITA. The setup was such that when I tuned up there was a ton of relief, yet the nut was cut about as low as it could go so I had to fill the slots when I took the relief out, little things like that make me wonder if the seller didn't like the guitar but didn't realize how out of whack it was. Then, there was all this copper tape in the cavity which I don't dig so I peeled that mess out. I also replaced the volume pots and added treble bleeds to the modern wiring then popped an ABR on that I had laying around. Some divine voice told me to removed the covers then I set the heights/poles where I liked it best and yowzer...

The decay & sustain is a notch above most lesters I've owned & played, the note attack has that woody thunk to it, these seemingly lower output t-top pickups sound very open and really complete the guitar without adding too much of their own thing, the neck set area has that petite feel where the fretboard doesn't seem too thick if it doesn't actually sink into the top a hair at that so the hands fit around just fine, it was never drilled for a pickguard, neck angle is about as shallow as one should ever set a neck, neck profile is a classic '60 style slim taper soft V, holy moly it's a deep/dense dark chocolate cut of rosewood, it sure doesn't feel heavy to me at 9lbs and in fact has a great balance to it. The guitar just makes you really slow the phrases down as it sounds so wonderful to chill out on a note for a bit as it just rings out and out. Too much good stuff.

18 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Great news on your guitar, lets hear a clip of that thing!

I'm thinkin' on it, some complications going on in the old music room at the moment though, I might pick up one of those portable digital thingy's with the built in mic for the time being, never owned one but they look nifty. 

On 6/20/2018 at 12:28 PM, bobmeyrick said:

My VSB is similar. Here's a picture taken just after I got it (seven years ago) and had stripped it down for cleaning. I subsequently swapped the Schaller bridge and tailpiece for a Nashville set and the SD59s were replaced with a set of Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays. It's definitely a keeper!

P5210997 (1024x768).jpg

I love the paint fading that is showing.  You can see where the pickguard, bridge, and tailpiece were.  So awesome to see that!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived