Heritage Owners Club

A 535 3 PIECE

brentrocks

I purchased this broke 535 last night.   It was broke by UPS.   I'm going to repair and make this baby rise from the ashes and rock again!!!!

Stay tuned for play by play on the restoration!!!

43040136531_eea3193b83_h.jpg1 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

43040136461_742c455610_h.jpg11 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

43040136391_329e6a1ed5_h.jpg1111 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

43040136351_7234c5bbea_h.jpg11111 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

42990439632_618bfbcc77_h.jpg111111 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPS didn't mess around this time right? IF your gonna screw it up, screw it up good! Looks like a nice project for you Brent, right up your alley. Can't wait to see the results!

I have no doubt that Brent will transform this into a fine functioning Heritage once again.  

And what a great find for him to work on... it's good for Brent to have a project to concentrate on. 

2 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Neck pocket seems to be ok.  That nasty headstock break though... whoa...

Cosmetically I don’t expect it to be perfect.  I’m looking for functionality.   The headstock repair will be plainly visible.  The heel repair probably as well.  

Wow, Brent, that might be one of your greatest repair challenges to date.  Really a shame, since that looks like it was a beautiful 535.

Any chance Pete Moreno has any parts you can salvage?  I understand at one point he had a bunch of old Heritage wood remnants.

I get the headstock break. It's a possibility, always, with this headstock break angle. But .... a neck pocket?? How the heck do you get a neck to pop out of the pocket? And what appears to be so cleanly? Weak glue joint? Not that it matters one single hoot ... but what year is the stunning 3 piece H535?

1 hour ago, Gitfiddler said:

Wow, Brent, that might be one of your greatest repair challenges to date.  Really a shame, since that looks like it was a beautiful 535.

Any chance Pete Moreno has any parts you can salvage?  I understand at one point he had a bunch of old Heritage wood remnants.

It looks like everything is there except for maybe some slivers from the headstock.   It appears that the heel repair will just require some patients and glue....I think it will fit back in and not require any wood by-products

I don't know that its a weak glue joint in the neck pocket as the wood clearly looks splintered.   If anything, it would be the sides of the joint might have been light, but if that was one that Arnie set,  you can pretty well be assured that it would be a snug fit.   How are you going to set the neck angle without the jig that they use at the factory?

The stinger on the neck looks a bit weird.    Not nearly as pointy as you normally see.

As long as you don't have to rewire it, youi'll be fine!  ^_^

Good luck with the restoration.   

17 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

I don't know that its a weak glue joint in the neck pocket as the wood clearly looks splintered.   If anything, it would be the sides of the joint might have been light, but if that was one that Arnie set,  you can pretty well be assured that it would be a snug fit.   How are you going to set the neck angle without the jig that they use at the factory?

The stinger on the neck looks a bit weird.    Not nearly as pointy as you normally see.

As long as you don't have to rewire it, youi'll be fine!  ^_^

Good luck with the restoration.   

I was basically going to re set the neck back in its original position.   So if the neck angle was good before, it should be when I’m done.  

58 minutes ago, Genericmusic said:

Why not a new neck?

theres no need....once that is glued back in and clamped for a couple of days....it will be strong like bull

the labor cost to clean out the pocket, have a new neck made, fretboard, paint, etc, would cost more than what I paid for the whole guitar you see in the pics.....and it comes with a heritage case 

Unbelievable damage. Looks like they put the guitar in the cage with the gorilla they used in the American Tourister luggage commercials years ago.  Good luck Brent, I know you can do it!

4 hours ago, brentrocks said:

theres no need....once that is glued back in and clamped for a couple of days....it will be strong like bull

the labor cost to clean out the pocket, have a new neck made, fretboard, paint, etc, would cost more than what I paid for the whole guitar you see in the pics.....and it comes with a heritage case 

Dibbs. ;)

Archived