Heritage Owners Club

NAD - 30th Anniversary Dr. Z Mazerati LE

I just picked this up from Dr. Z this past week-end at his Z-Fest in Cleveland.  The amp is a Limited Edition (only 30 made) reissue of his Mazerati V1 commemorating his 30 years of making amps.  This is basically a double Carmen Ghia. Great tone.

hAAH4eZ.jpg 

A DOUBLE Carmen Ghia? As in double the power? Which means double the volume to get it to break up? Oh my lord!! And my ears!!!!!! Loved my CG, but the volume needed to get THAT tone out of it just killed me. However, the guy I sold it to loved it. Which is not to say your rig doesn't look awesome. It does. Great pic, too. Dig the 3 string CBG in the corner. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, tulk1 said:

A DOUBLE Carmen Ghia? As in double the power? Which means double the volume to get it to break up? Oh my lord!! And my ears!!!!!! Loved my CG, but the volume needed to get THAT tone out of it just killed me. However, the guy I sold it to loved it. Which is not to say your rig doesn't look awesome. It does. Great pic, too. Dig the 3 string CBG in the corner. :thumbsup:

Yep double the power - about 35 watts versus 18 watts - but that's not twice as loud.  It does stay clean until around noon or so but then starts growling.  You can help tame the volume by using your guitar volume to keep it cleaner.

21 hours ago, Jaguarguy said:

Yep double the power - about 35 watts versus 18 watts - but that's not twice as loud.  It does stay clean until around noon or so but then starts growling.  You can help tame the volume by using your guitar volume to keep it cleaner.

Well, yeah, of course not twice as loud. I was trying to be .... cute. My wife says that'll never happen again! 

My thing was the 18w version had to be cranked so high to get to the sweet spot, I found it nearly unusable in most (or, nearly ALL) bars we played at the time. A fantastic sounding amp when cranked. But to get to that sweet spot was nearly impossible if anybody else wanted to hear ... anything else. Then again, I've really changed the way I play since then. Maybe I could finesse a decent tone out of it now. And your rig def looks sweet!

Is that a Charlie Christian pup in the Collings? Always been intrigued by that pickup. 

Archived