Heritage Owners Club

Dr. Z JW Prototype Unveil at Z-Fest 2018

As I mentioned in another post, Dr. Z is celebrating his 30th Anniversary this year building amps.  As part of the celebration, there was a three day event in Cleveland where he unveiled some new prototype amps that hopefully will make it into production.  Here is one of those amps.     This one is the JW (Joe Walsh) 3x10.  Doc built it for Joe to replace an amp he gave to Pete Townsend years ago that Joe has never forgotten (the story behind the amp is given by Doc in the video).  Demo by Buddy Whittington, a 15-year member of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.  It was a great week to be in Cleveland as a Z-Fanatic :)

38 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

I don't have any Z amps, but I'm a BIG fan of Buddy Whittington.  I keep checking his website to see if he ever is coming through my area, but unfortunately, most of his dates are in Texas.

Thanks for posting that one.

Buddy is a phenomenal player - might just be the best "unknown" guitar player in the U.S.  He has to go to Europe to make any money - he is extremely popular and well-known there.  John Mayall once said that Buddy was his favorite Bluesbreaker!  

Z-fest was great, as was Buddy and all of the amps.  For being the phenomenal player that he is he's certainly a very nice guy.  The amps all sounded great.  I was a long time JMP, Plexi, Jcm 800 user until happening upon DR Z amps.  They all seem to be very touch responsive and they have a certain "open-ness" that I haven't found in any other amp I've ever tried.  I've come across a few youtube videos of Buddy and Clapton playing sided by side and in all of them Buddy is pretty much making Clapton look like the Lesser player of the two.  He's unreal.

Archived