Heritage Owners Club

Looking for a Versatile 50-60 Watt EL34 Powered Amp

So, I'm finally going to trade in/sell my Marshall TSL122. It's too heavy, too loud, and the clean channel is too freakin crappy.  Problem is, what to get to replace it?

I've been eyeing a used  Rivera Fifty-Five Twelve R55-12, which i have heard has one channel that does good fender sounds, and another that does good Marshall type sounds. I also was looking at the Friedman Runt 50, but it doesn't have reverb, something I really have found myself to need, especially if I'd be using it for clean playing. I don't think I own an amplifier without reverb.  The Mesa Boogie TC-50 is also something I considered, but I'd really like to have a bias control if I am going to throw some nice (SED) EL34s into it.

I had considered a Marshall DSL50 head from the early 2000s, but I think I really want to go more towards combos. I'm not sure though, as I already have some good cabinets, so I could definitely save on shipping by getting heads instead of combos.

Any ideas?

I have 2cents.

I really like the DSL50 head. I prefer it to the 100w.

Although I dont really play anymore and am not very tied up in a tone search where I did end up before I wound down was with a clean only amp and a Kingsley od pedal.....and a couple of other pedals also, but really its just the clean ch and the Jester. I have a Jouster on back order, only one year to go.

The set up is really as versatile as any of the multichannel amps I had. I had a lot. As far as portability, convenience and floor space, its as manageable as a multichannel amp and really its no different in floor space, you need a pedal to change amp channels and reverb etc.

I like a couple of Egnater dual channel amps, good cleans and some of the best vox/marshall od sounds(thats how they sounded to me :dontknow: ) What I didnt like about them was I didnt trust them. I always felt like they were going to break down. They never did, not in 5yrs anyway, faultless actually.

Favourite mesa is the Electra Dyne 112. Deep big cleans, perfect crunch and grind(for me). Sat with one and a JCM800 and mimic'd the JCM800s sounds quite closely, the bonus was there was still more gain, mids and bass on tap in the ED. Down side - heavy.

Every Mesa I owned I put a bias kit in.  It made both the stiletto and Roadster come alive and feel right. The LoneStar took on a more personalised feel and the gain worked better for me. Turned the 3rd channel on the Nomad into something useable! thats a big deal! That channel sucked!

From my experience with Dr. Z amps, I'd recommend listening to his Maz 38.  While not a two-channel amp, it does have a foot switchable boost/OD that basically gets you a over-driven sound to go along with its great clean tones.

Maz 38 starts at 7:55

Since you have good cabs already, I would stick with a head. That's just me though. With that said, here is my vote:

Now, if you really want a combo and can come down a few watts I'll suggest something else by Orange. I'll also say that I own this amp, have played and gigged it extensively, and it absolutely slays! Here you go. The one I own, "Rocker 32" starts at around 9:55.

Hope this provides some help. Good luck in your search!!

Don't be afraid to spend Bogner -like $$$ to get the sound that you want.  Amps in that category tend to be easier to dial in the uber-tones witthin the knowledgeable player's head.  Take your time checking out US boutique builders. 

My #1 rec is a Redplate Blackverb, new close to 3 grand, used go for 1600-1900.  Exactly what you wanted in your OP.  Fantastic cleans and great dirt.  Highest quality construction, lead dress and parts choices abound in the RedPlate offerings.  LOTS of tones in that amp, available with or without reverb.  Redplate's reverb sounds quite good.  I own two RedPlates, a 50w Blues machine combo and an uber rare 50w Aurora 34 head.   #2 recommendation would be a 50w version of Ceriatone's Dumble clones, if you prefer humbuckers, a 50w HRM type, if strats or single coils, their 80's Dumble clone OTS.  

Redplate amps, Tone Tubby speakers...yup.

Boutique amps for boutique guitars!

Well... the current stable of amps I have is:

Mesa Boogie DC-5

Mesa Boogie Maverick 2x12

Carvin X-100B Half Stack (90s)

Carvin Vintage 16

And the Marshall TSL122 that I want to sell.

I don't think Ill find a better EL84 amp for my type of playing than the Maverick and the Vintage 16.

Spending Bogner -like money for an amp is not something I have a problem with, but I really do want to TRY something out,  and there aren't many Bogners around. Also the Shiva with EL34s only comes in the 80 watt size, though it uses 2XEL34 tubes. I wonder how they pulled that off. The 60 watt Shiva is a 6L6 tubes.

I'll have to add it to consideration.

Fender Prosonic: well built, can be found for peanuts, one of the most underrated amps of the past few decades. Will get a great blackface bassman type clean with proper reverb...and great blackface to marshall breakup on the first channel (think hendrix voodoo chile the 14 minute jam version), then a second channel which goes to more modern jmp/jcm crunch territory, 3 way bias switch for class A A/B operation & tube/ss rectifier, and it has a effect loop too, designed by Bruce Zinky. Though, it's tone is 100% vintage in nature; powerful transformers and not overly compressed like many modern boutiques, if that is your thing. Not "EL34" but I don't think anyone would know, I say that as the owner of a few EL34 amps. 

If this is the tenth reply, it probably means there are 9 guys who know more about amps in front of me...  but, I do own, and for a while regularly played, a dual channel Rivera with the Fender and Marshall channels.  (Mine is a M-100 combo with a 15EV, but, similar core architecture, I think.)  So, I couple of comments about the Rivera. 

First: I really like this amp, which is why I can't bring myself to sell it, even though I haven't played it in a while.  Versatile, capable both of a range of overdrive sounds and big, big fender clean.  (I've heard this model has become a favorite of pedal steel players ... I get that.)

Second: The difference is the Fender and Marshall channels is not extreme --even though the tone pots are in a different order.  This really is, at least on mine, a fairly subtle matter of voicing, not "lead" and "rhythm."

Third: ...and there could be a range of reasons for this --driver, tubes, etc.-- but to really sound good, my Rivera needs to be loud.  Even though it has a half power switch etc. to ramp down power, it still needs  to move some air to sound good.  I played for many years in a band that tended to get the gigs for local outdoor festivals, and the Rivera was a blast to play in that setting.  But indoors, and particularly smaller venues, I found myself choosing other amps ...and, since I'm not playing those outdoor gigs anymore, the Rivera sits.  This is not just the "truism" that amps sound better loud, but something I found particularly characteristic of this amp. 

So, I'd recommend the Rivera, but with the proviso that you play it before you buy it to see if the Marshall and Fender channels yield the difference you expect, and that you test whether the volume needed to hit its "sweet spot" fits your needs.  

My 2 cents.  Good luck with your search.

Rivera does seem to use that same preamp design on a lot of their amps, so it must work well for them. the R55 is a 1x12 combo, so lower wattage and less speakers means less weight and hopefully better sound at volumes that don't nuke the house.

Right now I'm doing some re-biasing of my other amps and just checking out what tubes are in where.

I like 212MavGuy's thinking.    The only thing that I even came close to buying is a Ceriatone 50W OTS or HRM.    They don't show up too often, although you could probably get  a new one from Nick for under $2000 shipped and everything.

For versatility, my Blackstar HT60 is an amazing amp. 3 channels, each easy to adjust with different options. I also have the Orange Rockerverb 50 head with Orange 2x12 close cabinet, 2 channels, great sounding rock amp. IMHO, the Blackstar has a better clean than the Orange, and the dirt is more Marshall like in channel 2.

I've become quite a Mesa fan in recent years. If I had to pick only one, I would go with the Mark Five:25 because it is the smallest and absolutely most versatile amp which has ever crossed my path. But I already have one of those and have since added a JP-2C to my amp collection just because I really like what that amp has to offer too. (Note that there are some Mesa amps which I do not like at all.)

Today I am in the market to add another amp to the collection, not because I need one but I have a Marshall 1936v cabinet I have for sale and no one is buying it. I can't stand having things around the house that aren't being used. So I'm thinking about trading it in towards the amp which came in second place when I eventually decided upon the Mark Five:25, and that amp is...

The Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb 25 1x12 Combo. It too is an extremely versatile amp but it doesn't have a DI out or a cab clone or a headphone jack like the Mark Five 25.
Sweetwater has about 7 tone demo videos which are WAY better than the manufacturer's lame video they have on their web site. It was also the personal favorite amp of one of the salesman at my local Mesa dealer. See this link below for all the Sweetwater sample videos.

The Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb 25 1x12 Combo

9 hours ago, ElNumero said:

No Peavey??

You know the story Will. I haven't owned a Peavey guitar amp since the 80's when myself and everyone I jammed with had a Peavey.
But I kinda lost interest after smoke started coming out of my Peavey PA speakers and sold the whole rig.
Are you interested in selling me your Peavey Bandit 112? hahaha

19 minutes ago, HANGAR18 said:

You know the story Will. I haven't owned a Peavey guitar amp since the 80's when myself and everyone I jammed with had a Peavey.
But I kinda lost interest after smoke started coming out of my Peavey PA speakers and sold the whole rig.
Are you interested in selling me your Peavey Bandit 112? hahaha

Dan, I was actually directing that towards towards Dave !

Nothing in the Peavey line really speaks to me. it's either not enough, or too much.  I looked at Peavey amps years ago,  and they haven't really added much since. They are still milking that 5150.. .er 6505 platform, and the classic platform. If they actually made an EL34-based more British-Style amp, I'd think about it.

Mesa Boogie really is tempting. Their amps are always well thought out, something I can't say for a lot of other makers.

Archived