Heritage Owners Club

DB II and a 535

yoslate

My current favorite player/writer/singer Doyle Bramhall II just three days ago, playing with Clapton.  Not the most thrilling of tunes, but there's DB II, with a 535 that looks just like mine...in a mirror.  I'd seen photos of him with one recently, but wasn't sure of the vintage of the pic.  So yes, he's playing one currently!  Kinda cool!

11 hours ago, Polo said:

Man alive......just imagine what kind of tone he could squeeze out of that guitar had it come with a nicer fit an finish, a newly improved set up and a factory plek!!!

Hahaha...  He did all of that hard work for nothing.  ;^)

535s are tone monsters.  I like it when you feel the air blowing out of the f-holes on your arm. 

I was watching another video from the Hyde Park concert and noticed that Doyle's 535 had double screws on each side of the pickups.    Check out the video around 2:35 during his solo.   They close up the guitar on the big screen.   BINGO.   4 screws per pickup.   I wonder if they are HRWs or standard Schallers.

I'm a huge Doyle II fan, but making me listen to EC's nails on a chalkboard tone is just too much for me to take. I saw him a few times with the Arc Angels and Doyle II always killed it with strat tone into vintage Marshall tone that was far better than what I'm hearing here. Although his Heritage sounds way better than Clapton's strat. I think he dumbs it down playing with Clapton. Probably doesn't want to show up the boss.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:34 AM, High Flying Bird said:

Hahaha...  He did all of that hard work for nothing.  ;^)

535s are tone monsters.  I like it when you feel the air blowing out of the f-holes on your arm. 

You got a built in cooling fan inside yours 'bird?

14 hours ago, ElNumero said:

You got a built in cooling fan inside yours 'bird?

When I get some good feedback going it feels like it.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 1:12 AM, rockabilly69 said:

I'm a huge Doyle II fan, but making me listen to EC's nails on a chalkboard tone is just too much for me to take. I saw him a few times with the Arc Angels and Doyle II always killed it with strat tone into vintage Marshall tone that was far better than what I'm hearing here. Although his Heritage sounds way better than Clapton's strat. I think he dumbs it down playing with Clapton. Probably doesn't want to show up the boss.

I saw him in Kalamazoo at the State Theater with the ArcAngels and it was a fantastic show. Charlie Sexton rocked too. He's been one of my favorites ever since... along with his father who co-wrote a bunch of songs with Stevie Ray.

Nice to see he's playing a Heritage! I wonder if he is connected to the company or just found it on his own?

Yep I saw the Arc Angels twice, and both times they were GREAT. Great songs, great rhythm section, great guitarists, great singers!!! When my duet did a showcase at SXSW those guys were playing at Stubbs BBQ. I had free tickets to every show in town, and I didn't know they were there, I was totally bummed out!

• 2 months later...
On 7/13/2018 at 10:29 AM, TalismanRich said:

I was watching another video from the Hyde Park concert and noticed that Doyle's 535 had double screws on each side of the pickups.    Check out the video around 2:35 during his solo.   They close up the guitar on the big screen.   BINGO.   4 screws per pickup.   I wonder if they are HRWs or standard Schallers.

the switch seems to have the black dot on it, so I would say HRW

On 11/2/2018 at 1:38 PM, kidsmoke said:

i don't think so. I hovered on pause quite a bit on the paste vid and could not find a dot

image.png.6a83ce7780af44117be564c249250bd7.png

look at minute 2:40 ish of the lay down sally video. It is faint but it seems to be there.

Or maybe not  ahaha. Who cares!

On 10/29/2018 at 7:35 PM, kidsmoke said:

my brain hurts watching him play that left handed guitar strung backwards. And I'm a lefty with a pen....righty with all else.

Something that occurred to me is that if the guitar has been made left-handed,  the bridge would be angled the wrong way for it to be strung in reverse, i.e the 6th string would be shorter than the 1st. Wouldn't this cause intonation problems? If you look at Jimmy Haslip, he plays a left-handed bass with the strings reversed, but the bridge has such a large range for intonation that it can be set correctly.

aaj-gallery.gif22310341_1553370261353170_27821948707807

Archived