Heritage Owners Club

NAD: Mesa Dual Rectifier, Rect-o-verb 25 Combo

New Amp Day. Mesa Dual Rectifier, Rect-o-verb 25 Combo
As usual, it is raining when I bring home new gear.
I guess I'm also now an official Mesa/Boogie fanatic. This is now the 3rd Mesa which I own compared to my 2 PRS and 1 Marshall amps.

Versatility. The Mark Five:25 covers every Mark series and Lonestar amp they ever made. The JP2C covers the original C+ amps. Now, this amp nails the best of the Rectifier series. In my humble assessment, I now have all the Mesa flavors which are worth having. All bases covered.

Mesa-RECT-O-VERB-25.jpg

I had one of those when they first came out. As with all Mesa amps, it gets quite loud. Sold it due to the fact that my playing  environment doesn’t allow for loud amps. :(

2 hours ago, davesultra said:

I had one of those when they first came out. As with all Mesa amps, it gets quite loud. Sold it due to the fact that my playing  environment doesn’t allow for loud amps. :(

Well, loud is relative. On the one hand, Mesa's seem to be louder than they are supposed to be, but on the other hand, it is a 25 watt amp. I'm sort of confident that it would be loud enough to participate in a PSP Barn Jam of yesteryear, but it must certainly be somewhat quieter to some degree than my 100 watt tube amps. Plus, there is a master volume knob which allows full on distortion without as much of the ear damaging volume.

If it really covered the Lone Star amps it'd need to add another 45lbs minimum. <_<

That is one cool looking amp. No doubt it'd keep up with the old barn jams. And most likely, any other jam. 

We lost our Mesa dealer around here. I'd love to check out some of the new amps they're coming out with. 

Lots and Lots of EL84 amps coming out of Mesa these days.  I have thought about the rectifier series for a long time.  I just don't do that much super high gain.  Also it's just hard to find a place to really try one out.  I'd rather not spend money at guitar center, and talking with them can be onerous.

It looks like however that the Express series has been discontinued. I can't find any Express + amps listed for sale anymore. I really liked the various output options they had, even with a class A single ended option. I wonder if those options will appear elsewhere, or if the amps just weren't selling well enough. The Dual Rectifier Road King and Roadster amps are also out of the lineup, but I think those probably got demolished by the Mark V.

Then again, Mesa is always Re-inventing it's lineup.

5 hours ago, tulk1 said:

If it really covered the Lone Star amps it'd need to add another 45lbs minimum. <_<

That is one cool looking amp. No doubt it'd keep up with the old barn jams. And most likely, any other jam. 

We lost our Mesa dealer around here. I'd love to check out some of the new amps they're coming out with. 

No, the Mark Five:25 has the Lone Star circuit in it.
I was summarizing the three amps I have when stating that I have all the bases covered.
This amp is a sampling of the Rectifier series.

Again, congrats on the new Boogie.  Does it have that sweet, cushy sag from the rectifier?  At 25 watts, I'm thinking its slightly more output (i.e. louder) than a 22watt Deluxe Reverb.  And those typically start their sag before the volume reaches 4 or 5.

4 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

No, the Mark Five:25 has the Lone Star circuit in it.
I was summarizing the three amps I have when stating that I have all the bases covered.
This amp is a sampling of the Rectifier series.

Ahaa. Gotcha. The Mark5:25 would need to add 45lbs minimum to emulate the LS.  (another I'd like to try).

13 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Again, congrats on the new Boogie.  Does it have that sweet, cushy sag from the rectifier?  At 25 watts, I'm thinking its slightly more output (i.e. louder) than a 22watt Deluxe Reverb.  And those typically start their sag before the volume reaches 4 or 5.

There is something about which I don't know how to describe. The word "creamy" comes to mind. Maybe that "cushy sag" is the term I'm looking for. I'll have to look on the Internet to see if I can find a video to demonstrate that sag thing and get back to you. There is also a 10watt switch for each channel.

I don't think many of the smaller amps have the tube rectifier option. Part of this is because the rectifier used in the low wattage amps, the 5AR4/ GZ43 is the one that is least "saggy".  It drops at most to 10 volts under 425V.  The 5U4-GB used in the higher wattage amps drops to 50 volts under 425

http://www.300guitars.com/articles/rectifier-tube-voltage-drop-chart/

My Maverick is 30 Watts class A, with a valve rectifier, and I haven't noticed a huge difference in response.  Also the "Sag" really needs to be at higher volumes to be noticed.

Archived