Heritage Owners Club

Seeking counsel: 535 factory neck replacement.

yoslate

Hey, kids....  Inquiring for a friend.  Not at all unlike Brent's recent project, I have a friend who's scored a three-piece 535.  May have been an insurance scam, but my pal wasn't involved in that.  He simply took a chance on an as-advertised basket case, thinking he might salvage it (body's gorgeous, virtually new, and it has terrific aftermarket p'ups and electronics).   Headstock's snapped off. It appears that the break occurred  at the point of a previous break which had not been well repaired.  On top of that, the neck's completely broken off at the heel.  He took it to the luthier with whom I used to work, who's brilliant at headstock repairs, who declared  the guitar D.O.A.  Only option seems to be re-necking the guitar.  Is the factory even doing that, now?  Is the operation cost-prohibitive?   Implications?  Channel(s) of communication to beg a favor (like, maybe Pete)?  What's the detailed skinny on this?  Anything anyone can tell me will be much appreciated!  Thanks!

I would send it to Pete before I would send it to those chiselers that scurry about and underneath the floor boards of 225 Parsons. 

Just the other day, I used a chisel on a board that was on the floor.  I guess that's not close enough.  And, anyway, my experience with 'necking' has been very limited since marriage +25 years ago.

You could try talking to Pete Farmer.    He should be able to tell you what a factory made neck would run.

Another idea would be to talk to Arnie Hileski.   He's pretty experienced at making necks.    I'm sure he could do one pretty easily.   He might even roll one to your friend's preference.

13 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Factory may not, but I believe Pete Moreno may do work like that.

Jack French WAS their skilled repair guy, you can call Heritage... I believe Pete Moreno full capable and reasonable financially. Arnie is another option.  Let me know if you need any #'s.

Yeah.. the challenge is acquiring the Heritage neck.   Lots of options after you've got that, maybe some more local to you.   You could talk to Pete Farmer about getting a neck for the repair.   But also I'm wondering what the chances are that Pete Moreno has one that he got from scrap.. it's a long shot,but that would be a great option.  And then either have him ship it or do the work if he'd like.   I don't know  if Arnie's got any parts around.    If it doesn't have to be an actual Heritage neck that opens other options.... 

10 hours ago, High Flying Bird said:

I would send it to Pete before I would send it to those chiselers that scurry about and underneath the floor boards of 225 Parsons. 

So when is your next custom order?

16 hours ago, Vanschoyck said:

A "friend?"  What did you do . . . (maybe a Hendrix moment at the end of your set last night?)

David...no, not asking for a "hypothetical friend."  This pal knows I'm a fan of Heritage Guitars and that I've been to Kalamazoo a bunch.  He thought I might have an inside track.  And I do: You guys who've chimed in.  Thanks everybody.  Some good info and options here.  Guy, I may be in touch, thanks!

8 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

Another idea would be to talk to Arnie Hileski.   He's pretty experienced at making necks.    I'm sure he could do one pretty easily.   He might even roll one to your friend's preference.

I second this idea.

I had a 535 sent back with a headstock break. This was 4 years ago now. Ren was the guy that took care of everything at the time. The guitar is now better than it was when I acquired it and it ended up with HRW's to boot. The original serial number was used, but the modern hand painted version was put on. This guitar is better than I could have ever expected.

20 hours ago, MuDBoNe said:

I had a 535 sent back with a headstock break. This was 4 years ago now. Ren was the guy that took care of everything at the time. The guitar is now better than it was when I acquired it and it ended up with HRW's to boot. The original serial number was used, but the modern hand painted version was put on. This guitar is better than I could have ever expected.

Yeah, the good ol days. In Feb they let their Master repair guy go...  Lots of changes have happened, I would not presume them to offer the same service without first talking to them and getting some sort of confirmation. I believe if Heritage were to outsource, Pete Moreno would be their ghost repair guy.

Archived