Heritage Owners Club

10 Most Iconic Guitar Amps

HANGAR18

Someone really needs to make an amp amusement park, where you can go and play around with all the legendary amplifiers, for a fee. They are really just magical, and there's no way to get the real thing without the real thing.

The Vox AC30 really is a magical sound.

3 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Where's the Blackface Deluxe Reverb?

That is a dumb list.  You put a Peavey 5150 over a Blackface Deluxe Reverb or a Fender Bassman or a Super Reverb?

Heck, you can't limit this amp list to 10.  I will contend that you could come up with 10 Fender amps on their own that could have made the list. 

31 minutes ago, Spectrum13 said:

Ampeg, Dumble and Trainwreck... Standel...  Gibsons 150 That list should include what was used in the 40's, 50's and 60's when jazz and swing was king before rock, right?

Damn straight, Spectrum13!

I guess it depends on what “iconic” means to you. My list would have been different. Blackface Deluxe Reverb, Marshall Bluesbreaker combo, Fender Harvard would have been included. Peavey 5150 and Roland Jazz Chorus would not. No staying power. Where is Dumble?

My list... (and yes I know I'm missing a bunch of great amps, but hey, you only get 10 choices)

Fender Tweed Deluxe

Fender Bassman (If there was no Bassman there wouldn't be a Plexi)

Marshall JTM 50 (bluesbreaker combo)

Hiwatt Custom 100 DR103

Vox AC-30

Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb

Marshall Superlead (66 through 69)

Supro Model 24

Mesa Boogie Mark IIC (started the whole high gain thing)

Dumble Overdrive Special

I know its "iconic amp" we are talking about but even a desk is an "amp"

I think a neve consul and a couple of others need to be included when you consider the amount of great guitar sounds and fitting guitar sounds that have been recorded straight to the desk.

In some of the incidences when these great tones were recorded straight to desk there was a bevy of "iconic" guitar amps lounging around in the next room going unused. Other times the amp and desk were equally as important and each functioned as parts of a whole.

3 hours ago, JeffB said:

I know its "iconic amp" we are talking about but even a desk is an "amp"

I think a neve consul and a couple of others need to be included when you consider the amount of great guitar sounds and fitting guitar sounds that have been recorded straight to the desk.

In some of the incidences when these great tones were recorded straight to desk there was a bevy of "iconic" guitar amps lounging around in the next room going unused. Other times the amp and desk were equally as important and each functioned as parts of a whole.

Nah, I loves Neves, but amps only get iconic status if you can turn them up loud enough to piss off all your neighbors! My neighbors know when I get a new amp hahahahahahah!

Archived