Heritage Owners Club

Heritage 12 Strings

rwinking

I finally worked it out and took the plunge on that cool 1994 Prospect 12 string that has been on this site. I have a couple of questions.....How many different 12 strings did Heritage make over the years? Was the Prospect the only one or did they do an H-535 or any others? Were they ever offered or were they mostly custom jobs?

Very, very few ever.

We've seen a couple of 535's in recent years as well as a H140.

All of which I'd assume are one-off custom orders.

Your incoming Prospect is the first I've heard of.  Share pics when it arrives and let us know how it sounds.

A few years back I had a Custom Order for a customer. I ordered another at the same time, for resale.

My customers order turned out great and he was very happy with it.

The other one I ordered had some problems with the nitro (checking). I asked them to reshoot

it and the new owners refused to do it. So I didn't accept the order. I don't know if it ended up in

the scrap heap or what?  It was during a time of a lot of uncertainty at Heritage. Still scratching my head on what went down. :icon_scratch:

So it came in today. The pix are the same ones that were in the ad as I couldn't do a better job. I just spent a couple of hours with it. it is just a beautiful guitar. Period. It sounds beautiful, looks beautiful and plays beautifully. I could not be happier. It looks like it was rarely played. Then again, 12 strings don't get played a lot unless you are in a Byrds or Petty Tribute band. Wait a minute....i happen to be in a Petty tribute band.....As you can see by my name, I own a few Heritages. This one is on the top of my list of cool guitars. I have never owned Prospect and had no idea what to expect. Man, what great guitars they are. i may have to get a Prospect 6 string now.

DSC_7085__11844.1527285696.1280.1280.JPG

DSC_7091__72065.1527285697.1280.1280.JPG

Looks to be floating. Also it says ACB which must mean CB for Cherry Burst(?) but not sure what the A is. Heritage used to have that color decoder on it's web site but not sure anymore. It looks like a K serial # which would make it around 1994? Damn good shape for a 25 year old guitar too.

I just checked and the Date Your Heritage feature is still on the website but not the color decoder.

3 minutes ago, rwinking said:

... which must mean CB for Cherry Burst(?) but not sure what the A is.

I think it means, "antique."  Nice score!

I think they are SD's. Being a twelve string and knowing what a pain it is to change strings it may be awhile before I look at the Pups. And yeah, it has a big beautiful twelve string jangle to it. I have a Jackson Surfcaster 12 which is kind of like a tele body with F holes and lipstick Pups and the difference btw the two is night and day. This has a very warm sound to it but also just the right amount of bite to cut through. I am sure I will be recording something with it over the next few weeks and will upload to this site.

4 hours ago, rwinking said:

I think they are SD's. Being a twelve string and knowing what a pain it is to change strings it may be awhile before I look at the Pups. And yeah, it has a big beautiful twelve string jangle to it. I have a Jackson Surfcaster 12 which is kind of like a tele body with F holes and lipstick Pups and the difference btw the two is night and day. This has a very warm sound to it but also just the right amount of bite to cut through. I am sure I will be recording something with it over the next few weeks and will upload to this site.

The double pickup adjustment screws on the pickup rings were most common with Schaller pickups of that era.

All that matters if you dig the tone.  Enjoy!

No kidding! Thanks for doing that.

It is interesting that it was sold as having SD's in it. If these are Schallers, I don't mind at all. I have never liked the Schallers that have come in any of my Heritages and always swap them out. Maybe it is the nature of a twelve string, but these sound great.

On 8/27/2018 at 3:51 PM, rwinking said:

No kidding! Thanks for doing that.

It is interesting that it was sold as having SD's in it. If these are Schallers, I don't mind at all. I have never liked the Schallers that have come in any of my Heritages and always swap them out. Maybe it is the nature of a twelve string, but these sound great.

Yeah,  it's been my longstanding theory that there was more than one type of Schaller pickup used in Heritages.  ( besides the HRW's )  It would explain why some love them in certain guitars and others don't like them at all...  that all the Schallers aren't the same. 

Archived