Heritage Owners Club

So....In general, how are things going for Heritage Guitars?

Polo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went through the tour twice.   The first time, Pressure and I sort of hung back from the group and ended up talking a long time with Derek, who I think is the shop floor manager.    

The second time,   I walked near the front of the group to try to get videos of the tour.   I really need to go through and edit some of them together and post a few on Youtube.   Unfortunately, the weather got nice (mid to upper 80s!) so I've been trolling the golf courses a bunch instead of holing up in the basement with the computer.

Its a different crew, but under Pete's direction, they are building guitars as always.   The biggest difference I saw was that it was much more organized.   The workflow through the shop is pretty well thought out.   All of the same equipment and jigs are being used, including the ferris wheel and the duplicarver.  Even the benches are the same.    The wood is all organized in racks in the shop  and the temp and humidity are controlled.  The spray booth is enclosed to eliminate dust contamination and to control the solvent fumes.   Binding is still done by hand, running the binding through a trough to apply the glue and the wrapping each one, just as they ever were.   They still use the same press to do the laminates for 535s and 530s.   The kerfing is still done on the same little machine.   The fretboard saw is the same.

The Plek machine is at the end of the room, right next to guitar setup.   Once everything is finished and approved, it gets Plekked.  

Once obvious change is that they campaign guitars now.   They will make maybe,, a dozen H150s, and then moved to 535s, etc., as orders come through. 

Hopefully, I can get some video together this week, as the temps are supposed to go into the 90s with high humidity.   That makes walking 18 holes a bit less appealing.  I'll post if I get any videos up.

Thanks for chiming in Rich! 

I guess I'm just curious whether or not they're selling more guitars than they were say a year ago.

Sure Wolfe claimed he was moving a bunch of them but I have a hard time believing that's the case for everyone considering how quiet they've been this year.

The only thing I "heard" at the jam ( I didn't do the tour) was they just aren't making anything close to the number of guitars that they used to make, ie very few orders are being placed.

This is the reason I asked the question a couple weeks ago if anyone has bought a new guitar (from other than from Jay Wolfe).  Anyone seen any new Heritage inventory (other than Wolfe)?

I don't know if this is true, but I heard it from what I would consider a very reliable source.

Eddies Guitars in St Louis has about 20 listed on their website.   Music Zoo in NY has a half dozen,  Chicago Music Exchange is now carrying Heritage.  Goodtime Music near Chicago has 3 535s listed.   Upfront Guitars in Mass has 4 or 5 listed and about another half dozen now marked SOLD.   Music Gallery in Chicago is listing a half dozen,  3 are 2017s and 3 are 2018.

Of course, Wolfe has about 25 2018s, and a bunch of 2017s.

Derek also mentioned filling orders for overseas dealers which are being handled through Bandlab.  He might have said how many they were sending out, but I don't recall.

Kuz, I haven't bought a new guitar in 5 years, and that was my Melancon.   My 157 was new in 2003.  The Taylor was new in 2009.   The rest were picked up used.  I seriously considered ordering a custom build for my 65th birthday, but with taking an early retirement,  it put a LOT of stuff on hold until everything gets sorted out.   The only thing I would consider at this point would have been  a 137.   I've got the 525 for my "archtop" and the 535, plus the Mille and 140.    I don't really want a big body archtop.    Plus with a dozen guitars, I've got most all the bases covered.   The only thing that I might like to try would be a Gretsch.   They have a cool sound that I don't have at this point.   Maybe a set of TV Jones in the 525 would do it.   

27 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

Eddies Guitars in St Louis has about 20 listed on their website.   Music Zoo in NY has a half dozen,  Chicago Music Exchange is now carrying Heritage.  Goodtime Music near Chicago has 3 535s listed.   Upfront Guitars in Mass has 4 or 5 listed and about another half dozen now marked SOLD.   Music Gallery in Chicago is listing a half dozen,  3 are 2017s and 3 are 2018.

Of course, Wolfe has about 25 2018s, and a bunch of 2017s.

Derek also mentioned filling orders for overseas dealers which are being handled through Bandlab.  He might have said how many they were sending out, but I don't recall.

Kuz, I haven't bought a new guitar in 5 years, and that was my Melancon.   My 157 was new in 2003.  The Taylor was new in 2009.   The rest were picked up used.  I seriously considered ordering a custom build for my 65th birthday, but with taking an early retirement,  it put a LOT of stuff on hold until everything gets sorted out.   The only thing I would consider at this point would have been  a 137.   I've got the 525 for my "archtop" and the 535, plus the Mille and 140.    I don't really want a big body archtop.    Plus with a dozen guitars, I've got most all the bases covered.   The only thing that I might like to try would be a Gretsch.   They have a cool sound that I don't have at this point.   Maybe a set of TV Jones in the 525 would do it.   

Rock N' Roll Vintage in Chicago is also a new Heritage dealer.

OK, if all these dealers are ordering new guitars (2018 inventory) than obviously my source was very wrong.  

Thanks for the clarifying.  I hope Heritage is doing well, indeed.

5 hours ago, Kuz said:

OK, if all these dealers are ordering new guitars (2018 inventory) than obviously my source was very wrong.  

Thanks for the clarifying.  I hope Heritage is doing well, indeed.

I believe they're doing well, BUT your source has a valid point, because they went from 22 models AND lot's of custom builds down to 6 models and few custom builds- their output has diminished. Sure, they're signing up new dealers BUT they'll have a tough time holding them due to their direct buy push. They are however financially sound for the 1st time ever and they're quite possibly well managed, which is something new also. They're promising exciting things to come next year and only time will tell. meanwhile the Guitars we're receiving are the best they've ever been in terms of fit, finish, playability and component quality. These folks really pay attention to the details and it's much appreciated out here in the hinterlands. Pete & crew are doing a superb job.

6 minutes ago, Polo said:

Thanks for the insight, Jay.  What kind of exciting things have they promised? 

They're not sayin'............but I can't see them continuing much longer with just 6 models.

1 hour ago, jaywolfe said:

Sure, they're signing up new dealers BUT they'll have a tough time holding them due to their direct buy push.

Pete & crew are doing a superb job.

Well said. 

IMO new dealers have to move product and Create brand recognition in their local area...  I would be very curious how the new dealers of the past few years are feeling about the product now and competing with the Factory Direct sales with just limited base model and no customizing with their clients. The Dealer goes through the expenses. riddled with product requirements and the factory wants to sell directly the end user the upgraded guitar.

It doesn't matter to me if they only build five models since I have five of the other models they no longer build. However, I kind of feel sorry for those who will never experience an H-576 or so many of the other cool guitars over the years.

I dont know of any dealerships here in the UK.The last I knew it used to be High End Guitars in the Nottingham area

but I dont believe that they sold many,and although they still list Heritage on their website,only have one guitar,a H535

in stock.

Most guitarists that I speak to here have never heard of Heritage.This helps me,all of my 5 came to me second hand,

a H150 Ultra,H555,H575,Golden Eagle and Super Eagle all at good prices (the H150 I bought from the US).This is good for me but

not for the company.When talking to the staff at my local GuitarGuitar (one of the biggest dealers in the UK)  I had to explain who

Heritage were and the history of the company.

2 hours ago, jaywolfe said:

They're not sayin'............but I can't see them continuing much longer with just 6 models.

Juicy.

I think a new line of (sub 2k) S and T type designs would be the only exciting announcement that would temp me into ordering a new Heritage at this point, I find this whole improved fit n' finish, better set-ups thing a bit overblown with regards to the new higher prices. 

3 hours ago, Polo said:

Juicy.

I think a new line of (sub 2k) S and T type designs would be the only exciting announcement that would temp me into ordering a new Heritage at this point, I find this whole improved fit n' finish, better set-ups thing a bit overblown with regards to the new higher prices. 

There are FAR TOO MANY Strat/Tele types out there for that to make sense for Heritage.   How would they distinguish themselves when you have Suhr,  Nash, Kirn, Melancon, Anderson, Whitfill,  LSL, Tuttle,  etc on the high end,  or Fender USA and G&L for traditional strats and teles in the $1000-2000 range and the Mexican and Tributes in the sub $1000 range.   Then you get into the superstrat lines from people like Jackson and Charvel,  Schecter and Ibanez.    

The world needs another strat/tele maker like they need another Tubescreamer clone.

4 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

There are FAR TOO MANY Strat/Tele types out there for that to make sense for Heritage.   How would they distinguish themselves when you have Suhr,  Nash, Kirn, Melancon, Anderson, Whitfill,  LSL, Tuttle,  etc on the high end,  or Fender USA and G&L for traditional strats and teles in the $1000-2000 range and the Mexican and Tributes in the sub $1000 range.   Then you get into the superstrat lines from people like Jackson and Charvel,  Schecter and Ibanez.    

The world needs another strat/tele maker like they need another Tubescreamer clone.

Good call, I'd definitely like to see a superstrat line added to that announcement as well!! That would excite me.

As far as the company goes, I think you'll find they've added a good list of new dealers and enhanced world wide distribution. And it's early in the game for them according to the big plan.  

And as far as comments at PSP...  The new Heritage folks pointed out the changes made in the plant  to enhance quality control during the tour, of course.  There were some old employees that voiced strong opinions about the new company at the cook out, not surprisingly.   The new crew didn't spend time at the after tour get together, partly due to not wanting to create any conflict there .  So those conversations with them were limited to the time at the plant.  

I think now would be a great time for them to introduce a “V” or Explorer type. If they really want to tout that they’re the Vanguards of the 225 Parsons Street tradition, that could go a long way from a legitimacy standpoint (IMO). I can honestly say that I would have some interest in one too seeing as Hamer isn’t around anymore.

7 hours ago, davesultra said:

I think now would be a great time for them to introduce a “V” or Explorer type. If they really want to tout that they’re the Vanguards of the 225 Parsons Street tradition, that could go a long way from a legitimacy standpoint (IMO). I can honestly say that I would have some interest in one too seeing as Hamer isn’t around anymore.

I'll buy one!  

Can somebody mock up a '67 stop tail version with a Heritage headstock?

On 8/27/2018 at 10:10 PM, houndhome said:

I dont know of any dealerships here in the UK.The last I knew it used to be High End Guitars in the Nottingham area

but I dont believe that they sold many,and although they still list Heritage on their website,only have one guitar,a H535

in stock.

Most guitarists that I speak to here have never heard of Heritage.This helps me,all of my 5 came to me second hand,

a H150 Ultra,H555,H575,Golden Eagle and Super Eagle all at good prices (the H150 I bought from the US).This is good for me but

not for the company.When talking to the staff at my local GuitarGuitar (one of the biggest dealers in the UK)  I had to explain who

Heritage were and the history of the company.

I bought my 535 from High End Guitars nearly a decade ago, and the service was very good - I had plenty of time to try different 535s before settling on the one I bought (Almond Sunburst with HRW pickups). Heritage may be a bit of a niche product, but I'd be wary of any guitar shop where the staff hadn't heard of Heritage - anyone in the guitar business with any credibility should have know about them.

Indeed they should and its quite possible the store manager would but the staff are younger people and perhaps

apart from an occasional part exchange dont see this make in the store.I remamber talking to High End Guitars at

Birmingham (UK) guitar show about 5 years ago and there were a number of Heritage guitars on the stand but they

took a long time to sell.

Good to exchange comments with another UK member on this forum,there dont seem to be too many of us !!

2 hours ago, houndhome said:

Indeed they should and its quite possible the store manager would but the staff are younger people and perhaps

apart from an occasional part exchange dont see this make in the store.I remamber talking to High End Guitars at

Birmingham (UK) guitar show about 5 years ago and there were a number of Heritage guitars on the stand but they

took a long time to sell.

Good to exchange comments with another UK member on this forum,there dont seem to be too many of us !!

Well, there's at least three of us.

Archived